Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All-ACC football team announced.

Congratulations to Cockrell and Monday on the first team, and to Vernon and Canty on the 2nd.

sagegrouse

Ok, I might need some extra eyes to double-check my totals, but Duke placed nine players overall (fourth highest!).

Code:
    Total Selections

FSU		16
    unc		15
    Clemson		10
    Duke		 9
    UVa		 8
    State		 7
    VPI		 7
    BC		 6
    Miami		 6
    Ga Tech		 5
    MD		 5
    Wake		 3

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Ok, I might need some extra eyes to double-check my totals, but Duke placed nine players overall (fourth highest!).

Code:
    Total Selections

FSU		16
    unc		15
    Clemson		10
    Duke		 9
    UVa		 8
    State		 7
    VPI		 7
    BC		 6
    Miami		 6
    Ga Tech		 5
    MD		 5
    Wake		 3
    Ugh, does that mean we have to go to the Sun Bowl?

[/bowl selection angst]

Congrats to all the players who got picked! I wish Vernon has gotten a 1st team nod for setting those ACC records, having not gotten a 1st team nod in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Ugh, does that mean we have to go to the Sun Bowl?

[/bowl selection angst]

Congrats to all the players who got picked! I wish Vernon has gotten a 1st team nod for setting those ACC records, having not gotten a 1st team nod in his career.
    Looks like Vernon was two votes shy of making first team:

WR-DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (80)
    WR-Alex Amidon, Boston College (53)

WR-Conner Vernon, Duke (51)
    WR-Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest (32)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Congratulations to Cockrell and Monday on the first team, and to Vernon and Canty on the 2nd.

sagegrouse
    Also to honorable mentions Anunike, Crowder, Harding, Martin, Simmons.

Thumbs up Seems Like Only a Year Ago You Could Count Duke All-ACC Selections on One Hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Ugh, does that mean we have to go to the Sun Bowl?[/bowl selection angst]

Don't worry, not gonna happen. Unless GT gets turned down by the NCAA on their appeal request, then I just don't see a shot at all. Even then, they'd be more likely to take VPI over Duke for the Sun. Recall the ACC rule that the ACC runner-up must be taken by the Sun if it is still available. I expect that to still be in play even if GT is 6-7, unless the Sun anticipated this scenario and requested an "out" clause in their contract with the ACC. And the Russell Athletic Bowl has already said they'd take one of GT, NCSU, or VPI (not Duke). So doubtful that we're going any further south than Charlotte, NC (note: that leaves Nashville as still possible).

But serious congrats to the Coaching staff and Duke FB team. It seems like only a year or two ago that you could count Duke All-ACC selections on one hand! Er, wait a sec...

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Also to honorable mentions Anunike, Crowder, Harding, Martin, Simmons.
    and so most are coming back next year...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Don't worry, not gonna happen. Unless GT gets turned down by the NCAA on their appeal request, then I just don't see a shot at all. Even then, they'd be more likely to take VPI over Duke for the Sun. Recall the ACC rule that the ACC runner-up must be taken by the Sun if it is still available. I expect that to still be in play even if GT is 6-7, unless the Sun anticipated this scenario and requested an "out" clause in their contract with the ACC. And the Russell Athletic Bowl has already said they'd take one of GT, NCSU, or VPI (not Duke). So doubtful that we're going any further south than Charlotte, NC (note: that leaves Nashville as still possible).

But serious congrats to the Coaching staff and Duke FB team. It seems like only a year or two ago that you could count Duke All-ACC selections on one hand! Er, wait a sec...
    Well, its not that the Russell doesn't want Duke, it's that it can't take Duke. A Bowl cannot take an ACC team if there is a team with an ACC record two games better than it available. In our case, GT is 5-3 in conference, while Duke is 3-5. Thus, Duke cannot be taken over GT. However, VT (4-4) and NC State (4-4) can be taken ahead of GT, and thus are the likely selection.

Back on topic: I'm kind of embarrassed to see Cockrell up there. No offense to Ross - who definitely had his share of good moments this year - but Duke was basically last in Defense in the ACC this year (Again) and really doesn't deserve to have a defensive player on first team. Someone from our offense would be first team, if not for the fact that the ACC has plenty of good QBs and WRs, but not very many good DBs.

Monday on the other hand deserves it (as does the missing Ross Martin).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

In his post game comments after the Miami game, Coach Cutlciffe said that Conner Vernon belongs on first team ACC and that if he's not recognized as first team, he (Cutcliffe) wouldn't have much interest in such votes in the future.

I agree. Conner Vernon should have been on first team.

I'm sorry to see Ross Martin not included at all.

Overall, it's a giant step forward for a program that was once the laughing stock of the entire country because of a record long losing streak.

Cockrell

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Back on topic: I'm kind of embarrassed to see Cockrell up there. No offense to Ross - who definitely had his share of good moments this year - but Duke was basically last in Defense in the ACC this year (Again) and really doesn't deserve to have a defensive player on first team. Someone from our offense would be first team, if not for the fact that the ACC has plenty of good QBs and WRs, but not very many good DBs.

Monday on the other hand deserves it (as does the missing Ross Martin).
    I have to politely disagree ... the only crime with Cockrell is that he wasn't the top vote-getter at cornerback. He was the best cover corner in the ACC this year and one of the best as far as run support.

Yeah, Duke had a lousy defense overall, but that doesn't mean Cockrell wasn't first rate. If you still have the Miami game, go back and watch how Duke gave up 52 points -- AND NOT ONE PASS WAS COMPETED TO A RECEIVER BEING COVERED BY COCKRELL. Miami targeted Tony Foster and Walt Canty and burned them time after time. They threw at Cockrell three times -- and none were completed.

Cockrell led the ACC in interceptions and was second in passes defender. His numbers actually slipped later in the season, because with all our injuris in the secondary, there were plenty of holes there and they could throw away from him.

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

The only thing to be ashamed of is the ACC voters who voted Clemson's Catanzarro and UNC's Barth (who only played in 10 games) ahead of Ross Martin.

Catanzaro made 12 of 16 field goals and missed an extra point.
    Barth made 15 of 19 field goals and was 44 of 44 on extr points
    Martin made 18 of 20 field goals and was 44 of 44 on extra points ... and was, IMHO, the best kickoff man of the three.

He wuz robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I have to politely disagree ... the only crime with Cockrell is that he wasn't the top vote-getter at cornerback. He was the best cover corner in the ACC this year and one of the best as far as run support.

Yeah, Duke had a lousy defense overall, but that doesn't mean Cockrell wasn't first rate. If you still have the Miami game, go back and watch how Duke gave up 52 points -- AND NOT ONE PASS WAS COMPETED TO A RECEIVER BEING COVERED BY COCKRELL. Miami targeted Tony Foster and Walt Canty and burned them time after time. They threw at Cockrell three times -- and none were completed.

Cockrell led the ACC in interceptions and was second in passes defender. His numbers actually slipped later in the season, because with all our injuris in the secondary, there were plenty of holes there and they could throw away from him.

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

The only thing to be ashamed of is the ACC voters who voted Clemson's Catanzarro and UNC's Barth (who only played in 10 games) ahead of Ross Martin.

Catanzaro made 12 of 16 field goals and missed an extra point.
    Barth made 15 of 19 field goals and was 44 of 44 on extr points
    Martin made 18 of 20 field goals and was 44 of 44 on extra points ... and was, IMHO, the best kickoff man of the three.

He wuz robbed.
    I agree with what you said about Ross Cockrell's high quality of play. Sometimes it's hard to see high level play of an individual when a unit is not playing at a high level.

I also agree that Ross Martin should have been All ACC. When people voted, they seemed to go on impressions, not stats, game film or other such sources of information. Ross is good. Like Conner, he's so quietly consistent, that those drawn to flash may miss him. He'll make it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I agree with what you said about Ross Cockrell's high quality of play. Sometimes it's hard to see high level play of an individual when a unit is not playing at a high level.

I also agree that Ross Martin should have been All ACC. When people voted, they seemed to go on impressions, not stats, game film or other such sources of information. Ross is good. Like Conner, he's so quietly consistent, that those drawn to flash may miss him. He'll make it next year.
    Yes, but Conner won't. I think that's a travesty and feel very bad for Conner.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

I'm sorry to see Ross Martin not included at all.

Overall, it's a giant step forward for a program that was once the laughing stock of the entire country because of a record long losing streak.
    Martin did make honorable mention. That said, he should have been higher.

break all the ACC receiving records?

ehhh Best I can do is second team

-ACC media
    1200. DDMF.

Conner got absolutely jobbed. No question. How do you rewrite the ACC Record Books in receiving and not make 1st team All-Conference your senior year?

Travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Martin did make honorable mention. That said, he should have been higher.
    But... as a freshman, just imagine the FUTURE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Yes, but Conner won't. I think that's a travesty and feel very bad for Conner.
    Agreed. It is not defendable that the ACC's top statistical receiver ever couldn't make first team All-ACC. Ross Martin's exclusion is just a head scratcher. I'd like to hear a sane argument against either of the two.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Agreed. It is not defendable that the ACC's top statistical receiver ever couldn't make first team All-ACC. Ross Martin's exclusion is just a head scratcher. I'd like to hear a sane argument against either of the two.
    I would liken Conner to Kyle Singler, who was probably our best 4-year player since JJ and Shelden over the course of his career, but was never considered the best player on any Duke team (Nelson-Henderson-Scheyer-Smith getting those informal titles). I would like to think I'll look back at Conner's career the way I look at Kyle's career.

RE: Connor Vernon.

Full disclosure. I voted for Vernon for first team WR, along with Hopkins.

I would also note that the powers-that-be insist on an outdated model, in which we have two RBs and two WRs on the first team, despite the fact that the base offense for most ACC teams consists of one RB and three WRs.

If we had two RBs and three WRs, then he's first team.

That said, we may be comparing apples and oranges. Vernon's career records are aggregate records based on four-year totals. This is a vote for this season only. And Alex Amidon did have better season stats than Vernon.

So, if you're a voter, how much weight do you place on Vernon's career stats versus Amidon's season stats? Obviously, I elected to place some weight on the career stats.

Not everyone else did. But that's a defensible position. It's disappointing for Vernon and Duke but I do not see it as an outrage or an injustice.