Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012-13 D-League Thread

This is always the thread that I do not want to start each basketball season, but it looks like Miles Plumlee will be playing a couple games with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants before rejoining the Pacers. Tonight his team lost to the Erie Bayhawks 109-100 and Miles had 5 points and 12 rebounds in 27 minutes. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021200002

A lot of D-League games are being streamed live on YouTube this year if they are not on television and here is the full replay of this game from the league's YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeE1k2uOdE&feature=plcp

Miles had 23 points and 7 rebounds in 29 minutes as Fort Wayne lost 117-112 to the Maine Red Claws. It was a game with plenty of other interesting players like Fab Melo. Here are the links to the boxscore and the full YouTube video:
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021200008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4EIW0cRdU&feature=plcp

Thanks for the updates... Hopefully Miles can make his way back to the Pacers soon.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Thanks for the updates... Hopefully Miles can make his way back to the Pacers soon.
    He will actually. Indiana is rotating 3 or 4 of the non-rotation players on their roster in and out of the D-League, to help them get experience on the court. My understanding is they plan to do this throughout the year. So it isn't a case of being "demoted".

Good to hear Miles had that strong outing. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Shut it down!

Miles has been recalled for the Pacers' upcoming road trip, per a tweet from the Pacers.

Go get 'em, big dude!

Miles is back in the D-League for a string of games. He and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants lost 107-104 to the Maine Red Claws. Miles had 10 points, 17 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 35 minutes. Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021200055

Here is the YouTube link for the full game film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBrOxS2wmho

It looks like you may also be able to catch the next game, Saturday at 7:30 pm Eastern against the Springfield Armor, live on YouTube as well.

Don't worry about Miles, he'll be fine. They're just sending him down to get some P.T. and to better learn the pro game. I'd say by March or
    April he'll be getting quality minutes, (hopefully) at 'ol Handsblow's expense, who is down a bit on the Pacers depth chart.

Miles had a good game as he had 28 points and 10 rebounds in 42 minutes in a 95-85 win over the Springfield Armor.

Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021200060

Here is the link to the YouTube video of the full game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zBObrUatU

precedent

LT set a good precedent for what can happen for former Blue Devils in the NBDL, as well as McRoberts. Both played in the NBDL to get their skills up to a higher level and become consistent performers, rather than riding the pine the whole time in the Show. Both now have NBA careers, rather than just "cups of coffee". McRoberts has been in the Show for a while now, never a star and sometimes even a regular DNP-CD, but still on rosters and still gets in games. Lance, OTOH, has become a key reserve player (albeit on a terrible team) and seems to be the type of guy that, through sheer work, will be in the NBA for years to come.
    So Miles, with his amazing physical prowess, may very well come out of the NBDL experience with a much better NBA future than if had simply sat the pine in the Show. Although Miles doesn't really approximate either LT or JM, with better physical tools than LT and less "skill" than JM, i see Miles coming out of this experience withe potential to have a productive career in the NBA.

I sometimes wonder what players like Shavlik, Carrawell and Demarcus might have been able to accomplish if they had spent significant time in the NBDL. Shav, played some in the NBA off and on for a few years, but it seems like that ankle injury may have finally ended his hopes for an NBA salary. Carawell's pro career came to an end prior to the NBDL, i think. Demarcus has found a decent career in Europe, which paid off well for Trajan Langdon, and his weird tweener status may have doomed in the League anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I sometimes wonder what players like Shavlik, Carrawell and Demarcus might have been able to accomplish if they had spent significant time in the NBDL. Shav, played some in the NBA off and on for a few years, but it seems like that ankle injury may have finally ended his hopes for an NBA salary. Carawell's pro career came to an end prior to the NBDL, i think. Demarcus has found a decent career in Europe, which paid off well for Trajan Langdon, and his weird tweener status may have doomed in the League anyway.
    Isn't Overseas roughly the equivalent of the NBDL? Is the NBDL coaching and experience really seen as better than that available in Europe, Israel, etc?

Looking only at their basketball skills, Demarcus lacked the height and shot to make it as a 2 guard, and he simply wasn't a point. If the NBA had warrior positions, then he would be All World; as it was, I never thought he had much of a chance. Carrawell was a taller but also lacked a killer outside shot, an ability to distribute, or any other NBA-level skillset. We've had a lot of great college players (Trajan, Nate, etc etc) who succeed on a strong team but were never serious contenders for becoming a core NBA player. Those who make it simply have to have some sort of freakish talent. That's not to say we're bad at developing people--I think we're good at it. It's just that there are so few openings in the NBA rotation, and the top 100 players in the league don't change all that much from year to year (how old is Tim Duncan, like 50?), and there are only so many Kyrie's to go around.

There's such a stigma amongst people who follow the NBA about the D-League. Even the term "D-League" sounds like something derogatory. However, I've changed my mind about it since I've been following Lance's success story through the NBDL. Miles' case sounds more like an opportunity to gain confidence through playing. As a first round pick, I'd find it hard to believe that the Pacers aren't considering him as a future rotation player. I just wish Jon Scheyer would have had an opportunity to make a roster and possibly develop through the NBDL. I still think he's capable of being a good player in the NBA, and it's been frustrating to see how injury has somewhat stagnated what looked like a really promising pro career for him.

Miles had 6 points and 6 rebounds in 22 minutes today as Fort Wayne lost 97-87 to the Canton Charge.

Here is the boxscore:
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021200068

Here is the full game on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXlI-ieVclo

There's such a stigma amongst people who follow the NBA about the D-League. Even the term "D-League" sounds like something derogatory. However, I've changed my mind about it since I've been following Lance's success story through the NBDL. Miles' case sounds more like an opportunity to gain confidence through playing. As a first round pick, I'd find it hard to believe that the Pacers aren't considering him as a future rotation player.
    Well, of course it's the basketball minor leagues, AAA for B ball if you will. Like playing major league
    baseball, there are a lot of things you have to learn to be a good NBA player. The tempo, skill level, offensive ball movement, and defensive rotations are different, and guys have to learn the pro game.
    And, certain guys need to work on certain skills to get them to an NBA level. The better way to do it, rather than watching from the end of the bench, is to be out playing against (nearly) NBA level comp. Miles is going to get much better doing that in the D league rather than sitting on the bench watching Handsblow in Indianapolis (don't know if you can do that too long; pretty ugly). Looking forward to him being a quality, well skilled NBA player.

I like how Indiana just came out and announced at the beginning of the season that they were going to rotate three guys through the D-League. I think that took a lot of the stigma out of it. We were worried/dismayed when McRoberts was sent down to the D-league because we saw it as a bad sign but our reaction to Miles going there has been very positive

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Well, of course it's the basketball minor leagues, AAA for B ball if you will. Like playing major league
    baseball, there are a lot of things you have to learn to be a good NBA player. The tempo, skill level, offensive ball movement, and defensive rotations are different, and guys have to learn the pro game.
    And, certain guys need to work on certain skills to get them to an NBA level. The better way to do it, rather than watching from the end of the bench, is to be out playing against (nearly) NBA level comp. Miles is going to get much better doing that in the D league rather than sitting on the bench watching Handsblow in Indianapolis (don't know if you can do that too long; pretty ugly). Looking forward to him being a quality, well skilled NBA player.
    One key difference, though, as traditionally, players get drafted to the NBA and are immediately in the big leagues, unlike in baseball which such immediate appearance on the big stage is extremely rare. In basketball, if you get sent to the D-League, your chances of playing lots of minutes in the NBA are quite slim, although it appears Indiana is bucking that trend by rotating their rooks through the NBDL because their roster is cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Isn't Overseas roughly the equivalent of the NBDL? Is the NBDL coaching and experience really seen as better than that available in Europe, Israel, etc?
    I think the most substantial difference between the NBDL in Europe is long term earning prospects. Unless you have a contract from a NBA team, playing in the D-League pays little...like between $20K-$40K per season. On the other hand, overseas contracts are certainly better (although there have been horror stories about actually getting paid, but those issues have apparently gotten better the past 10 years), and being visible in the European leagues makes it more likely that you will be a known quantity that can build a 10 year+ career overseas. So, I think a lot of borderline NBA players who can deal with being away from home for big portions of the year often decide to go all in for Europe rather than waste prime earning years hoping that the NBDL will lead to the NBA. I also think NBA scouting in Europe has gotten much more comprehensive so there is less "out of sight out of mind" risk. If a player is killing it in Europe, NBA teams will likely come calling. But, I think the Americans that thrive overseas and get comfortable with living abroad tend to stay comfortable. They are big stars making big money, bigger stars then the would be in the NBA. I think the other difference, though, is the amount of time spent practicing and the style of offense played. Most European teams practice far more then NBA teams and the offensive sets are much heavier on extended continuity resulting in the desired shot after 5-6 passes. Norman Dale would love it, Mike D'Antoni, not so much. That's painting with a broad brush, but in general I think the Europeans coach a much more team based offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    One key difference, though, as traditionally, players get drafted to the NBA and are immediately in the big leagues, unlike in baseball which such immediate appearance on the big stage is extremely rare. In basketball, if you get sent to the D-League, your chances of playing lots of minutes in the NBA are quite slim, although it appears Indiana is bucking that trend by rotating their rooks through the NBDL because their roster is cluttered.
    This is changing quite a bit as NBA teams have bought NBDL teams and are using them as true minor league outfits. The Rockets and Spurs were two of the first to go this direction, you may recall Quin Snyder coaching the Spurs NBDL team, the Austin Toros. Those affiliated NBDL teams run the same offenses and defenses as the big club which makes the transition up and down much easier and effective. Getting sent to the D-League for a stretch of games is not a big deal anymore for teams with those affiliates, I think you'll see it happening more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This is changing quite a bit as NBA teams have bought NBDL teams and are using them as true minor league outfits. The Rockets and Spurs were two of the first to go this direction, you may recall Quin Snyder coaching the Spurs NBDL team, the Austin Toros. Those affiliated NBDL teams run the same offenses and defenses as the big club which makes the transition up and down much easier and effective. Getting sent to the D-League for a stretch of games is not a big deal anymore for teams with those affiliates, I think you'll see it happening more and more.
    One thing I don't understand, though, is how the contracts work regarding the NBDL. I know that players in the NBDL get those 10-day contracts, but how does it work for guys in the league (Miles, for instance, who has a guaranteed deal as a first-rounder)? In baseball, you get a certain number of non-injury trips to the minors and have a limited service time there before the club has to make choices.

Down in the Heels?

One thing I don't understand, though, is how the contracts work regarding the NBDL. I know that players in the NBDL get those 10-day contracts, but how does it work for guys in the league (Miles, for instance, who has a guaranteed deal as a first-rounder)? In baseball, you get a certain number of non-injury trips to the minors and have a limited service time there before the club has to make choices.
    We also should track the progress of one-time wunderkind, Kendall Marshall, as he labors in the fields for the Bakersfield Jam. Marshall, drafted by the Suns, was sent down at the end of November. Ed Cota, anyone?

sagegrouse

I had to look it up and found this informative NBDL FAQ
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

Here's a relevant segment:

"NBA Assignments:
    NBA teams can assign players who are rookies or in their second season to their D-League affiliate. Players can stay with the D-League affiliate for as long as the NBA team wishes, and be recalled back to the NBA at any time. NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose. Starting in 2012–13, there will be no limit to the number of times an NBA player with two years or less experience can be assigned to the D-League. Since the 2011–12 season, veteran NBA players (three-plus years of NBA experience) can be assigned with their consent. An NBA player will continue to be paid his NBA salary and will continue to be included on his NBA team's roster on the inactive list while playing in the D-League."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I had to look it up and found this informative NBDL FAQ
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

Here's a relevant segment:

"NBA Assignments:
    NBA teams can assign players who are rookies or in their second season to their D-League affiliate. Players can stay with the D-League affiliate for as long as the NBA team wishes, and be recalled back to the NBA at any time. NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose. Starting in 2012–13, there will be no limit to the number of times an NBA player with two years or less experience can be assigned to the D-League. Since the 2011–12 season, veteran NBA players (three-plus years of NBA experience) can be assigned with their consent. An NBA player will continue to be paid his NBA salary and will continue to be included on his NBA team's roster on the inactive list while playing in the D-League."
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if any GMs/owners consider the cost/benefit of taking a one-and-done and stashing him for two years rather than taking a 3 or 4 year college player? I imagine the 1-and-done is slightly less mature but probably comes up eventually with more basketball skills, since he isn't forced to focus on school for two years. Either way, I'm glad they're moving to a system that values the NBDL a little more, and hopefully it means there's more quality basketball on television to go to. I know I enjoy going to minor league baseball, but from what I've heard/read about the NBDL, it's not high on quality.