Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WSoc to Elite Eight

Virginia 1-3 Duke. Kim DeCesare and Mollie Pathman scored first-half goals, and DeCesare put the match away in the 88th minute.

Duke has never lost an NCAA Tournament match in Hooville.

Duke awaits the winner of tonight's Penn State vs. Michigan match.

QF Matchups Set

Duke @ Penn State
    UNC @ BYU
    Notre Dame @ Florida State
    UCLA @ Stanford

Question for those that follow the team more closely...my impression is that the regular season results were a bit disappointing...couldn't quite put things together. But that Duke has plenty of talent and can compete with any of remaining teams. Who of the final 8 is considered the favorite at this point?

By the way, those 'Hoo fans who follow women's soccer and men's LAX must absolutely hate seeing the Devils come to town and whip up on their highly ranked teams.
    hehe.

intel

I actually ran the clock for most of the women's soccer home games this year and I can confirm your beliefs. SO much talent on this team, yet sometimes the gals just didn't have on their game face it seemed. However, they can win this tournament if they continue to buckle down, I have no doubt. I would say that Florida State is heavily favored to win it all. They allowed under 5 goals total on the season!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Question for those that follow the team more closely...my impression is that the regular season results were a bit disappointing...couldn't quite put things together. But that Duke has plenty of talent and can compete with any of remaining teams. Who of the final 8 is considered the favorite at this point?

By the way, those 'Hoo fans who follow women's soccer and men's LAX must absolutely hate seeing the Devils come to town and whip up on their highly ranked teams.
    hehe.
    The one attribute of a championship team that Duke lacks is elite team speed. That was evident in the losses to Virginia and Carolina. There were also some issues when Molly and Kelly came back from the World Cup (and Kelly came back injured) and had to be re-integrated. And the ACC is just loaded. Consider this: there are two members of the championship-winning U-20 national team who don't start for ACC teams.

I haven't seen ND or BYU, but I think every one of the eight remaining teams can go into Friday thinking they have a legitimate shot. Playing at altitude is going to be a real challenge for UNC. Controlling Maya Hayes is going to be a real challenge for Duke. I see UCLA, BYU, Duke, and FSU making it to San Diego, but I could easily be wrong about all four quarter finals.