Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"We don't make any money so we can't be fined."

- the last line if K's response to Cal's (albeit misquoted) half time jab about charging.

Starts at 3:08. Note the discreet "look down". Be sure to enjoy Seth's face when Coach says it.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/11...-win-over-uk/#

K is a funny, bad man

Loved it. Back atcha, Cal.

And don't you know the Duke players loved it, too. Coach has our back.

DBR says most of the Twitter world is criticizing Cal for the comment. I must not have done the right search, because most of what I saw was supporting Cal and the comment.

I laughed when I heard the comment at halftime. You're in good shape if the opposing coach is whining. But I thought that Cal was an a** in his response to the Chronicle reporter: "You kids at Duke can take a joke, can't you? Geez." It was also cowardly, given that K had just left the room.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

"We don't make any money so we can't be fined."

... K is a funny, bad man
    Did he really intend to imply that the KY kids could therefore be fined?

Or was he just taking a shot at the KY paradigm of being the the one year stopoff for kids heading to the NBA?

I think the point is you can infer whatever you want to infer from that statement
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Or was he just taking a shot at the KY paradigm of being the the one year stopoff for kids heading to the NBA?
    The woman misquoted Calipari and said that he had said that in the NBA they would have been fined instead of suspended like Cal said. I think K was just saying they aren't NBA players and aren't paid so they can't be fined for flopping. Now, others can certainly take that as a shot at Cal, but I'm sure that's K's story and he's stickin' to it.

I don't think K's comment was calculated enough for him to have really been implying that KY players are all about the Benjamins (both on their way to Kentucky and on their way to the NBA), but it sure is easy for the rest of us to draw that conclusion from it and smirk.

I am glad that Jim Calhoun has retired from basketball as now I can focus all my disgust on one guy instead of two. Calipari has no honor. There is nothing worse I can say about someone than that.

-Jason "did everyone hear Vitale talking about the special dorm the KY players live in? Regular students can't even get close to that place. The team is simply not part of the Kentucky student body in any way" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I'd guess he was sarcastically making the simple reference to his players not being in the NBA. But because of the opponent being UK, it would up having funnier, unintended interpretations.

Awesome. K wins.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am glad that Jim Calhoun has retired from basketball as now I can focus all my disgust on one guy instead of two. Calipari has no honor. There is nothing worse I can say about someone than that.
    Roy Williams has no soul. He is the anti-Elvis.

But yeah, other than sham courses, he runs a clean program I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    DBR says most of the Twitter world is criticizing Cal for the comment. I must not have done the right search, because most of what I saw was supporting Cal and the comment.

I frequent other fan message boards (I have a grad degree from Georgetown and grew up a Zona fan). While maybe a few knuckledraggers might have liked the dig at Duke, the response I mostly saw was something to the effect of "I wouldn't want our coach complaining like that during a halftime interview".

Calimari can cheat all he wants, and is obviously a good recruiter, but that doesn't make him a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post

Calimari can cheat all he wants, and is obviously a good recruiter, but that doesn't make him a good coach.
    I believe Coach Calipari is a great recruiter and a good basketball coach. It is his character which is in question. He is not a person I would want to see coaching one of my grandsons.
    Bob Green

Judging by the way K looked down when he said it (the only moment of the interview he did) and by his pretty sharp tongue and wit (and by Seth's reaction) I would guess that K knew exactly what he was saying. But who knows, right?

-Jason "did everyone hear Vitale talking about the special dorm the KY players live in? Regular students can't even get close to that place. The team is simply not part of the Kentucky student body in any way" Evans
    Not too shabby.

http://www.coachcal.com/16170/2012/0...rd-in-housing/

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    I was particularly impressed with the state of the art study hall.

For someone who is constantly defending himself for working inside the rules and following the letter of the law, Cal really comes across as a pot calling a kettle black.

The NCAA prohibits 100% athletic dorms. Officially the Wildcat Coal Lodge has to have 50% regualr students but I'm guessing they are hand picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The NCAA prohibits 100% athletic dorms. Officially the Wildcat Coal Lodge has to have 50% regualr students but I'm guessing they are hand picked.
    They probably handpick the "tutors" to live in the Coal Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    A few thoughts:

Man, does he talk to everyone like they are 9 years old?

I also noted how he kept having to remind himself that he was talking about Kentucky [regarding the space for another NCAA trophy: "They've got a space for another one. I don't know why they do that. I guess they try to hint about that, here, at the University of Kentucky"] ... as if he himself wasn't the epicenter of the program. I got the feeling he keeps one eye on the exit door.

Funny how he talked at the end about the "New Gold Standard" - read motivational books, much, Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe Coach Calipari is a great recruiter and a good basketball coach. It is his character which is in question. He is not a person I would want to see coaching one of my grandsons.
    I think that's a common belief, and I think most agree he is an excellent recruiter, but how great a coach is he really? I think people forget PayPal Cal has been coaching for going on 25 years now. 3 of those were in the NBA, where he had a losing record, and was fired. But even our own Coach K hasn't been coaching that much longer. So what does Cal have to show for it?

13 Tournament Appearances
    4 Final Fours
    1 National Championship

I don't think we need to compare that to Coach K, as we're all pretty aware of his accomplishments. How about a few other notable coaches:

Tom Izzo, Head Coach since 1995:

15 Tournament Appearances
    5 Final Fours
    1 National Championship

Roy Williams, Head Coach since 1988:

22 Tournament Appearances (all but two, one of which was ineligible)
    7 Final Fours
    2 National Championships

Jim Boeheim, Head Coach since 1976 (so has a lot more games under his belt):

29 Tournament Appearances
    3 Final Fours
    1 National Championship

Billy Donovan, Head Coach since 1994:

12 Tournament Appearances
    3 Final Fours
    2 National Championships

Basically, Calimari has had recent success, but even with two very successful back-to-back years, he's not in the top tier of coaches. I suppose that's why you said "great recruiter, good coach", but I think he's overhyped for what he's actually done.