Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Star Wars Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Right!

Sadly

No, it is not a joke. Well, it is, but you know what I mean.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Do not want.jpg
    Last edited by Dukeface88; 10-30-2012 at 05:44 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I won't be able to take Mickey seriously as a Jedi until he loses that squeeky voice.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

When push comes to shove...

Can James Earl Jones voice Mufasa and Darth Vader in the same movie?

Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm for more than $4 billion was contingent on Lucas allowing them to make more Star Wars films. Disney says it plans to release a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years. The talk is that they will plan to do another trilogy of films and then step back a bit to assess at that time.

I have serious questions though...

1) Should the sequel be about Luke and Lei and Han Solo or should we get new characters?

2) If we are going to follow Luke and the other main characters, do we get Mark Hammil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford back on screen again or re-cast with new actors?

3) I know he made some sucky decisions, but is it really Star Wars the same without George Lucas running the show or is it just another space sci-fi flick?

Well, what do ya'll think?

-Jason "as bad as Phantom Menace was, I shudder to think what it will do to my psyche if Disney makes a really crappy Star Wars movie" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm for more than $4 billion was contingent on Lucas allowing them to make more Star Wars films. Disney says it plans to release a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years. The talk is that they will plan to do another trilogy of films and then step back a bit to assess at that time.

1) Should the sequel be about Luke and Lei and Han Solo or should we get new characters?

2) If we are going to follow Luke and the other main characters, do we get Mark Hammil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford back on screen again or re-cast with new actors?

3) I know he made some sucky decisions, but is it really Star Wars the same without George Lucas running the show or is it just another space sci-fi flick?

-Jason "as bad as Phantom Menace was, I shudder to think what it will do to my psyche if Disney makes a really crappy Star Wars movie" Evans
    It has to be about new characters because you cannot recast them. Not like the new Star Trek movie (which I liked) because continuity is such a big deal with this series. Probably a cameo or two, though. R2D2 and C3PO remain the ageless constants. (Spoiler alert: R2 gets blasted in VIII or IX -- book it, Dumbledore style).

As far as good or bad without Lucas, well -- could be either. The biggest problem with I-III was trying to fit in too much backstory plot and too many computer-animated characters. Hopefully they learned their lesson, and can wrap up the next sequence in a more relaxed fashion.

I think it would defeat the spirit of the saga a little bit of the movies were about Luke, Han, and Leia again. Much like the gap between 1-3 and 4-6, the series should pass down the story to a new generation.

As someone who grew up reading Star Wars novels (some of which are awful, but some of which are pretty good), I'd like the new story to be roughly consistent with those, though I accept that as a loose constraint.

In my perfect world, the new trilogy stars Jaina and Jacen as the twin children of Han and Leia, where Luke still gets to play a big role as the Yoda (or Obi-Wan)-figure of the new generation. Ford and Fisher get cameo appearances as Han and Leia. The two droids get to be in Star Wars forever, though.
    Last edited by Wander; 10-30-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The biggest problem with I-III was trying to fit in too much backstory plot and too many computer-animated characters. Hopefully they learned their lesson, and can wrap up the next sequence in a more relaxed fashion.
    And spend some money on good writers instead of blowing it all on CGI.

The best take-down I've ever seen of any movie (and just watching it should get you a credit-hour toward an MFA in film) is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Language NSFW, but well used.

1) I think you have to have Luke/Leia/Han, but that doesn't mean it should focus on them. Having them as background characters would be best.
    2) If you do 1, there's no need to recast.
    3) Supposedly Lucas is being retained as a creative consultant. If that means they use him as an idea guy while someone else writes and directs, it could work alright - that was pretty much the forumla for Empire. Of course, that only works if Disney finds people comprable to Kasdan and Kershner.

I'm curious as to whether they plan to stick to the EU or not. A lot of fans will be annoyed if they don't, but the EU's quality is...inconsistent, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    And spend some money on good writers instead of blowing it all on CGI.

The best take-down I've ever seen of any movie (and just watching it should get you a credit-hour toward an MFA in film) is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Language NSFW, but well used.
    Heh, I knew this would go to the RedLetterMedia review.

All I can say is that they better be really careful in what they do. To quote (or paraphrase) Han Solo, "this ain't just like crop-dusting, boy!"

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Will we finally get to see Donald Duck vs. Howard the Duck?

Now that Disney owns the rights, I'd be surprised if they didn't milk it for all its worth. Episode XXIV here we come!!!!

There is so much source material from Star Wars novels to keep filming until I am dead or disinterested.
    As long as there is no "reboot" type movie, this has my initial interest.
    I think if Hammil, Fisher and Ford want cameos or small roles that might be interesting, but as a focal point it is probably too late.
    On your third question, only time will tell but George is definitely an idea guy- finding the right people to translate to the screen is the key part that I think Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace in particular missed.

A lot of pundits seem to be pointing to what Disney has done with both Pixar and Marvel as the model for Star Wars. If Disney can make a Star Wars movie that I enjoyed as much as the Avengers, I might as well start sending a big part of my paycheck to Disney.

I have my fingers crossed that in the coming days Disney will announce "Star Wars World" opening in 2020 in Orlando.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by kingboozer View Post
    Now that Disney owns the rights, I'd be surprised if they didn't milk it for all its worth. Episode XXIV here we come!!!!
    In a recorded statement (or maybe from a press conference), Lucas said "we can make Star Wars for another 100 years". Looks like we'll be starting with another trilogy to test that theory.
    As far as Disney taking over, I don't mind. It's not like Star Wars is a rated R franchise, and Disney does not put out bad movies. I bet if they were on board when the "first 3" came out, we might have seen a better product.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In a recorded statement (or maybe from a press conference), Lucas said "we can make Star Wars for another 100 years". Looks like we'll be starting with another trilogy to test that theory.
    As far as Disney taking over, I don't mind. It's not like Star Wars is a rated R franchise, and Disney does not put out bad movies. I bet if they were on board when the "first 3" came out, we might have seen a better product.
    I really think it is easier to make a trilogy continuing the story, than what was essentially a six-hour back story that had to fit the construct of IV-VI. You had a democracy, it was overthrown, clones fought, yada yada yada. Oh, and promising boy turns evil -- not a happy premise with which to start.

I certainly agree that I-III were low grade (although my son likes II and III as much as any of "my" Star Wars). Part of that was the magnitude of what they tried to pull off, hamstrung by a result everyone already knew.

Or not.

But if they can make 20 Bond films, with some hits and misses since Sean Connery hung up his holster . . . . Star Wars can keep shooting out new generations of the struggle. Why not? They have done a good job with the "Clone Wars" series on Cartoon Network -- a staple at my household with OPK Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They have done a good job with the "Clone Wars" series on Cartoon Network -- a staple at my household with OPK Jr.
    That show rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That show rocks.
    Cartoon Network Clone Wars does indeed rock, and is something my boys and I like to watch.
    I still don't care for the return of Darth Maul, but I have to admit one of the story arcs that keeps my interest is at some point, Asoka does not make the transition to a role in Revenge of the Sith. Answering the question "What happens to Asoka" I think is a key reason why the series maintains a high level of interest.

I thought for sure when they did the "super force beings" planet story arc that would be the turning point and another step down the dark side if Anakin were forced to kill Asoka himself.

I am not sure what the movie-goer's version of PTSD is, but whatever it is I have it after experiencing Jar Jar Binks and "Anakin you're breaking my heart!" I am deeply fearful of what the future holds.

I think having Lucas NOT involved might be a positive.

If you are going to have original characters, they better have the original actors. Since they are all old, they better switch the focus of the story to new characters.

*sigh* They are going to screw it up. But whatever... bring on Admiral Thrawn!