Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite Non-Duke ACC Basketball Player

Since we're kind of in that dead spot right before the basketball season and recruits aren't really deciding right now, I thought it'd be fun to talk a little bit of ACC Basketball history.

Who is your favorite non-Duke ACC basketball player?

I always had a real soft spot for Sean Singletary from UVA. Even though he hit that buzzer beater at Virginia a few years ago, I wasn't as upset as I normally would have been because it was Singletary that hit it. He's probably my favorite non-Dukie.

The late, great Len Bias.

greivous vasquez...hands down

he had so much fun with the crazies it was impossible not to love him...
    April 1

David Thompson.

Agreed on Len Bias, such a tragedy.

Second on my list would be Rusty LaRue. Not the most talented player ever to come out of the ACC but was a major over-achiever in multiple sports, an excellent student (carried a high GPA in Computer Science), married and a parent while in school, all-round good guy. Just really liked the man.

Favorite non-Devils

Antawn Jamison-- played with heart, passion, and zero UNC bravado on a team that was full of it. Sort of the most amazing offensive one-trick pony ever. He's basically just lightening quick. Very frustrating to watch him score 25 on your team. Seems like you should be able to stop him, but you can't.

Randolph Childress-- mainly just for that '95 ACC tournament. Pretty much one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen in ACC Hoops.

Kenny Anderson-- absolutely sick skills. Just sick. One of the best college point guards ever.

Juan Dixon-- hard not to root for the guy. He replaced Steve Francis (what's to like about the guy?) and played harder, better, and with more class. A really deserving champion.

Charlie Ward-- just loved his multi-sport abilities. Took FSU to the Elite 8 in '93, won a Heisman, and is still good enough to play for the Knicks. Wow!

Julius Hodge-- just 'cause he's Julius Hodge.

I always had respect for Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington. Danny Green and Hansblah, however, are other stories entirely.

It's hard to pick just one

Ralph Sampson (I was living in Va Beach when he was a at UVa)
    Bryant Stith (tough competitor)
    Len Bias (amazing, shame)
    Mark Price (he could really shoot)
    Kenny Anderson (so much fun to watch)
    Dennis Scott (he could hit it anywhere you could put a dollar)
    John Salley
    Chris Corchiani (I like the fire)
    Tom Gugliotta (got better every year)
    Julius Hodge (played hard)
    Spud Webb (a guy I could look in the eye)
    Trevor Booker (I'm a Clemson alum, had to pick at least 1 Tiger)
    Horace Grant (nice specs)
    Bobby Sura (fun to watch)
    Sam Cassell (coined the whine and cheese phrase)
    Greivous Vasquez
    Tim Duncan (the big fundamental)
    Randolf Childress
    Chris Paul (nut punching punk could just ball - pun intended)
    Rodney Rogers (man amongst boys)
    Mugsy Bogues (anyone that can shorter than me and that good...wow)

I could go on but I'll stop there. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Ralph Sampson just because he was so good at a time when I was really starting to get into college basketball. 9F

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Randolph Childress-- mainly just for that '95 ACC tournament. Pretty much one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen in ACC Hoops.
    Gotta love it...

Dennis Scott. I remember during a pre-game warmup once, he had a three-point shooting contest with a fan, for a twinkie. I liked him even before that, but once I saw that, he was my fave.

I also had a couple amusing run-ins with Chuck Nevitt, who had a pretty good sense of humor for a stick-thin, 7'5" guy, so he's my runner up.

Definitely Randolph Childress.

After him, I don't know. Harpring. Steve Hale. Tyrone Bogues.

My all-time favorite non-Duke ACC athlete is, without question, Warrick Dunn.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

David Thompson(DT) #1 and best I've ever seen in college basketball
    Best of the Rest:
    Bobby Jones
    Walter Davis
    Randolph Childress
    Rodney Monroe
    Jeff Lamp

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    David Thompson(DT) #1 and best I've ever seen in college basketball
    Best of the Rest:
    Bobby Jones
    Walter Davis
    Randolph Childress
    Rodney Monroe
    Jeff Lamp
    Thompson, Jones, Davis are great old-school choices. I would add John Lucas, Gus Gerard, Skip Brown, and Mike O'Koren.

Honorable mention to Billy Langloh, arguably the least talented player ever to put a team on his back for three days and steal an ACC Tournament.

Agree on Vasquez, that guy was hilarious, and IIRC admitted he sorta became a Duke fan somewhere along the way. Also, I always liked the VT guard Zabian Dowdell, partly because he kept a good sense of humor about the Dockery miracle shot.

Antawn and Juan Dixon are two of my absolute favorites. I wish I could find that Antawn stat, about how long he had possession of the ball each game; it was something like 35 seconds or some crazy number like that, while scoring 25 points. I did like GV by the end, because I feel like he really "got it" when it came to the fans; he enjoyed that give and take, and had fun with it.

Lots of great answers so far. I'll second Tim Duncan, not only for being great but for sticking around for four years and proving that you can do so and not have it hurt your pro career.

Who was that point guard from Boston College who dropped 40 on UNC a couple years ago? I'd give him an honorable mention. Anyone who destroys UNC should get an honorary Randolf Childress award.

Also, UVA had some 7'5" behemoth a several years ago who never played but always had a blast with the Crazies during warmups.

Juan Dixon.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Agree on Vasquez, that guy was hilarious, and IIRC admitted he sorta became a Duke fan somewhere along the way.
    He was a Duke fan from the get go. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...oves_duke.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Dennis Scott. I remember during a pre-game warmup once, he had a three-point shooting contest with a fan, for a twinkie. I liked him even before that, but once I saw that, he was my fave.

I also had a couple amusing run-ins with Chuck Nevitt, who had a pretty good sense of humor for a stick-thin, 7'5" guy, so he's my runner up.
    I work at the same company as Chuck. He seems to be a good guy. Sticks out like a tall thumb, too.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I work at the same company as Chuck. He seems to be a good guy. Sticks out like a tall thumb, too.
    What does he do for a living these days?