Exclamation Now I've heard it all

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming, a leading environmentalist has calculated.
    This is the opening paragraph of an article by Dominic Kennedy titled Walking to the shops ‘damages planet more than going by car’.

Reading on we see:
    Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes. Provided, of course, they remembered to switch off the TV rather than leaving it on standby.
    if that wasn't enough i found this Did Climate Change Contribute To The Minneapolis Bridge Collapse?

The question remains, do we need to climate-proof our bridges, does a connection exist between climate change and the collapse of the I-35W bridge? Consider what a meteorologist who worked in the city for years blogged:

Now the questions begin. Why did this happen? Structural integrity will obviously be a huge concern. Minnesota experiences extreme temperature fluctuations throughout the year and this summer has been extremely hot and humid. During my time working there, road buckling from extreme heat was very common. You have to wonder if the bridge buckled.
    [Rep. Frank Hornstein of Minneapolis] speculated that 90-plus-degree heat Wednesday and the above-normal temperatures of the past two summers may have been a contributing factor.

"Did the heat put extra strain on the steel?" Hortman said. "You wonder if this bridge was built to withstand the massive heat we have had this summer."
    Is global warming the cause of everything? it's been accused of causing the extreme hot and extreme cold weather. I wonder what else we can blame it on?
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-08-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spell checking

I'll add one more!

Last year my hair was really curly, this year not so much. I think global warming has severely hampered my good hair days.

Get this, my hair is getting thinner...

DARN YOU GLOBAL WARMING! (shakes fist)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    This is the opening paragraph of an article by Dominic Kennedy titled Walking to the shops ‘damages planet more than going by car’.
    What utter cr*p. Did you read the article? The calculation was done assuming all of the walker's colries were replaced by eating BEEF! Anyone worth their salt environmentally knows that beef production is grossly inefficient. Personally, I started limiting my beef intake several years ago.
    The Gordog

Somehow, this is all W's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    What utter cr*p. Did you read the article? The calculation was done assuming all of the walker's colries were replaced by eating BEEF! Anyone worth their salt environmentally knows that beef production is grossly inefficient. Personally, I started limiting my beef intake several years ago.
    Gordog, I think we are pointing out the absurdity of this. At least I am. Thus my trivial posting about my hair.

Talking love them chickens and a/c

All that beef and heat will make you have square babies!

Sheesh

Reading on we see:
    Quote:
    Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes. Provided, of course, they remembered to switch off the TV rather than leaving it on standby.
    Perhaps we should all just die so that we stop creating all this bad stuff for the planet. As our bodies decay and we form fossil fuels, whatever replaces us 40,000,000 years from now will have enough new oil to start the cycle all over again.

You know, there are probably some "environmental whacko's" out there who will think that is a good idea, except for the part of starting over again...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You know, there are probably some "environmental whacko's" out there who will think that is a good idea, except for the part of starting over again...
    Ever read Rainbow Six?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Perhaps we should all just die so that we stop creating all this bad stuff for the planet. As our bodies decay and we form fossil fuels, whatever replaces us 40,000,000 years from now will have enough new oil to start the cycle all over again.

You got it, Ozzie. I will go with you but you go first...

Exactly------------

Square and spongy.