Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    A friend sent me this link. Thought you folks might enjoy it. Sorry for the earworm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzPBcCF9yKc
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Maybe somebody already said this, but it just occurred to me that one of the great ironies of this situation is that the refs' second jobs are what's allowing them to stand up to the league for so long. How could the refs afford to stay out of work so long if not for their part time status and alternate employment?

The Taiwan Animators give their take on the Replacement Refs. This might be the best Taiwan Animators yet!!!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Breaking news on CBSSPORTS.COM say an agreement has been reached.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Breaking news on CBSSPORTS.COM say an agreement has been reached.
    It's "at hand.". I'll believe it when I see it. Still hangups over pension.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ld-work-week-4

"Could be done by the end of the week." If it's done by the end of the week, will they have replacements Thursday and regular Sunday? If it gets done by close of business Friday, will there be time to get a schedule and get all the refs in place by Sunday? Good to hear the end may be in sight, but I would be surprised if we saw regular refs in week 4, unless it's the Sunday night game and Monday night game, unless it gets done by end of day Thursday.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 09-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Profootballtalk reporting that the Refs and the NFL have come to an agreement. Also being reported that there is a clause in the agreement that the Refs would be able to return for tomorrows game. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-deal-is-done/

Done deal. Here's the link from that other NFL Network:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...nt-end-lockout

The long national nightmare is over. The sanctity of the game has been restored. Now NFL fans get back the referees with whom they've always agreed.

I guess we can all go back to talking about elite quarterbacks, or whatever.

Wow, the average ref salary WAS $149k. That's higher than the highest article I'd found before, which said top paid vets made $150k, unless, of course, newbies made $148k and vets made $150k. And they get a 33%+ raise! Good to see they'll finally get their wish and join the top .3% of wage earners in our great nation. At least we won't have to worry about them falling out of the middle class now. Whew! (tongue firmly in cheek there. Glad to see they got what they wanted and didn't bend. Guess we'll have to find a different evil corporation to complain about... at least until the next sport league's negotiations... let's get together for the NHL talks, huh? )

Now, back to football. I wonder just how rusty these guys will be? I remember in years past commentators saying, "remember, it's the pre-season for the refs too."

I wonder how many refs we'll see turning in letters of resignation to their second jobs today? I wonder if we'll start seeing refs get in more trouble in night clubs and getting duis in the off season like players do, now that they'll have so much time on their hands?

I wonder if Letterman will have a top 10 about what the refs will do with all their free time?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Wow, the average ref salary WAS $149k. That's higher than the highest article I'd found before, which said top paid vets made $150k, unless, of course, newbies made $148k and vets made $150k. And they get a 33%+ raise! Good to see they'll finally get their wish and join the top .3% of wage earners in our great nation. At least we won't have to worry about them falling out of the middle class now. Whew! (tongue firmly in cheek there. Glad to see they got what they wanted and didn't bend. Guess we'll have to find a different evil corporation to complain about... at least until the next sport league's negotiations... let's get together for the NHL talks, huh? )

Now, back to football. I wonder just how rusty these guys will be? I remember in years past commentators saying, "remember, it's the pre-season for the refs too."
    So now we are complaining about thousandaires? Normally we have billionaire owners arguing with millionaire players about compensation. In a $10 billion dollar industry, are we really going to gripe that the guys who were pretty much proven irreplaceable are now getting a few more thousand dollars in the grand scheme of things. I think it is a relative thing and instead of comparing them to the rest of America, I'll compare it to what the players and owners are making in the NFL. I doubt it is that easy to do the job nor even get the job. The training required, going from doing HS or low level D1 games to NFL games, not to mention someone has to ref on the Christmas and Thanksgiving games. It is basic supply and demand as we continue to allow the sports industry to grow, we want the best which requires more money. Heck, I'm sure them making 200k will attract even better officials as good officials who never viewed it as a career can now become full time officials.

Really short... maybe this is confirmation bias, but the way the refs carried themselves tonight was just worlds different than what I've seen the past 3 weeks. Just the sound of "Holding, number 68, Baltimore, 10 yards from the spot of the foul" is much better than "Holding, purple, 10 yards."

They carry themselves different than the guys we've seen the last 3 weeks. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    "Holding, purple, 10 yards."
    You forgot the long pauses and "um"s.

I agree completely though. The regulars just sound so much calmer and more in control.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    So now we are complaining about thousandaires? Normally we have billionaire owners arguing with millionaire players about compensation. In a $10 billion dollar industry, are we really going to gripe that the guys who were pretty much proven irreplaceable are now getting a few more thousand dollars in the grand scheme of things. I think it is a relative thing and instead of comparing them to the rest of America, I'll compare it to what the players and owners are making in the NFL. I doubt it is that easy to do the job nor even get the job. The training required, going from doing HS or low level D1 games to NFL games, not to mention someone has to ref on the Christmas and Thanksgiving games. It is basic supply and demand as we continue to allow the sports industry to grow, we want the best which requires more money. Heck, I'm sure them making 200k will attract even better officials as good officials who never viewed it as a career can now become full time officials.
    Nobody gets my humor. Glad I never got that job with The Onion.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    You forgot the long pauses and "um"s.

I agree completely though. The regulars just sound so much calmer and more in control.
    I thought they sounded richer too... as in more wealthy

-Jason "I was hoping the fans would give them a cheer on the first penalty... but that was hoping for too much" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, it did seem that play today was more - er - civilized. Gotta think that some of that had to do with more respect for the refs