Fantasy Football

Hey guys (and gals) -

Haven't posted here in a long time, but I have some extra time on my hands now that I've graduated from Duke grad school and my postdoc has yet to begin...

I know there are a bunch of fantasy football gurus out there on the boards. I'm in a prolonged battle with some people in my league about point schemes for next year, and I wanted an outside opinion.

What are the pros and cons for Points Per Reception scoring?

For those of you who don't know, most default online leagues award no points for each reception, yet, give the option of adding 1 point for each time someone catches the ball. I've found this levels the playing field between RBs and WRs, making games more fun (more points = more fun, IMHO). No one in my league seems to like them, opting for the more traditional RB-dominated scheme.

How do y'all run your leagues? I need some examples to wow my friends into point per reception acceptance. Who knows, maybe I'll even change my mind!

- Moose

I always play in leagues that reward points for receptions although I think one point per reception is excessive. I usually go around .33 per reception so that three catches equals one point which is usually equivalent to ten yards. The overall effect is to add value to receivers and pass-catching rbs. I justify this because fantasy football is supposed to be a reflection on your team's performance. Catches in football are one of three major stats kept for a receiver. It's legitimately important to get open and catch the ball, regardless of yards. A "true" fantasy football league should try to reflect a player's overall value as accurately as one can, and I believe points for receptions does that.