Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'll be in Wally Wade, cheering for my Blue Devils!

Let's go, Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wanted to share Ozzie's post from the Blair Holliday thread up top for those that have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    One of the True Blue 'Cue Crew tent members (Cheermom, the mother of one of our recently graduated cheerleaders) is setting up a donation station at our tent in Blue Devil Alley next Saturday. Everyone is welcome to stop by and put a donation in the jar! You'll find several familiar posters in attendance.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Miami Herald has an article up discussing the importance of FIU doing a better job this year rushing the passer:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...to-ground.html

Coach Cristobal gives our offensive line kudos for protecting Renfree. The article states the key match-up will be Duke OTs Cofield and Simmons against FIU DEs Tourek Williams, Greg Hickman and Paul Crawford.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-28-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Bob Green

Rather than start a new thread, let me add some notes from today's media lunch.

Permanent captains: Vernon, Renfree, Cockrell, Canty.

Full injury report Thursday. But Cut said 12 out, 2 questionable.

Look for nine true freshmen to play v FIU. Martin will place-kick and kick off. Also McCaffrey, Powell, Schneider and Duncan on offense, Norman, McCarthy, Williams and Wray on defense.

Much praise for FIU. New QB but pert near everyone else back. Cut said they have as much team speed "as anybody we'll play."

Cut also maintained that FIU was the most talented non-ACC team any ACC will play in its opener. Better than Auburn? Let's hope not.

Connette not listed on the two-deep. Maybe some gamemanship? But he'll play all over the field, as will Blakeney, who's listed as a WR. Both will "show up in a lot of places. Put playmakers on the field and put them in position to make plays."

No clarity on kick returners. Lots of options and some winnowing to do. Redshirt freshman Tim Burton looked great at KR in scrimmages but does he leap-frog guys with experience?

Cut and some of the staff flying down to see Holliday tomorrow. Holliday continuing to make progress.

Look for big crowd. Employee freebies.

Given our injury situation, if players like Burton and Kurunwune can step up to handle kick-off duties, it might help to keep starters like Butler and Vernon healthier. Butler (hamstring) and Vernon (ankle) both got hurt on special teams duty last season, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    Given our injury situation, if players like Burton and Kurunwune can step up to handle kick-off duties, it might help to keep starters like Butler and Vernon healthier. Butler (hamstring) and Vernon (ankle) both got hurt on special teams duty last season, if memory serves.
    I hope I never again see Connor Vernon return a punt in a Duke uniform. He's just too valuable to risk. Terrible risk/reward ratio.

The same could be said to a lesser extent about Butler, Crowder, Scott or Snead.

Kurunwune is in to block for whoever else is back on kick returns. Just doesn't have the speed to be the primary return guy.

If Burton can handler KOR and Norman PR, I'm all for it. Duncan could also be in the mix.

Then again, there's something to be said for experience. We KNOW some of the vets can handle the job. We THINK some of the newbies can.

There is lots of FIU coverage at the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...-for-fius.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/2...s-seizing.html

The game on Saturday should be a good one.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Because of Isaac, FIU is closed Monday, and I'm sure the team lost significant practice time this weekend (and maybe on Monday) because of the torrential rains in the south Miami area Saturday and Sunday. The Homestead area is very low lying and subject to flooding. I wish problems on no one, but if the FIU team is a bit distracted this week...
    Minor quibble. FIU isn't in homestead, its about 25 miles north of homestead. FIU is pretty much a straight shot west from Miami, while homestead is due south.

For anyone desiring to read more about FIU, the Miami Herald has another article touting the defense:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/3...wants-his.html

This one focuses upon senior Safety Jonathan Cyprien who is threatening to break the school's all time record for tackles. The Golden Panthers are excited to be facing a BCS school in the season opener. We need to match their excitement level from the opening kick.
    Bob Green

So after all of Heather Dinich's talk about how Duke is going to go to a bowl this year she is now predicting Duke to lose to FIU in the opener. A game she did a vlog about touting how it was a must win for Duke's hopes. If I recall correctly she predicted Duke to go to a bowl long before the injuries began to mount and she is citing those injuries as a reason for the Blue Devils loss. Oh well, what good are predictions anyway you got to go out and play the games.

But for the sake of argument here is my prediction for anyone interested.
    http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/08/30...ainst-fiu.aspx
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    So after all of Heather Dinich's talk about how Duke is going to go to a bowl this year she is now predicting Duke to lose to FIU in the opener. A game she did a vlog about touting how it was a must win for Duke's hopes. If I recall correctly she predicted Duke to go to a bowl long before the injuries began to mount and she is citing those injuries as a reason for the Blue Devils loss. Oh well, what good are predictions anyway you got to go out and play the games.
    I'm gonna assume she's a closet Duke fan who wants us to get to a bowl game and thinks this will be good locker room material to motivate Duke. It's like the opposite double secret reverse psychology of this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-predictions-3

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    I'm gonna assume she's a closet Duke fan who wants us to get to a bowl game and thinks this will be good locker room material to motivate Duke. It's like the opposite double secret reverse psychology of this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-predictions-3
    Or perhaps she thinks that an injury-plagued Duke team can lose to FIU but then get healthier and find a way to still win six games.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post

But for the sake of argument here is my prediction for anyone interested.
    http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/08/30...ainst-fiu.aspx
    She actually has us picked to go bowling in her first bowl prediction of the season (she updates it weekly). She figures every year there is a surprise so it might as well be us.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    She actually has us picked to go bowling in her first bowl prediction of the season (she updates it weekly). She figures every year there is a surprise so it might as well be us.
    Well I hope she is right at least with regard to the bowl, but at this point all I'm thinking about is FIU. I have Duke winning by a field goal in a close, relatively low scoring game.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I am stoked and ready for Saturday Night to get here! Looking forward to the game, and seeing if our guys can overcome the injuries and get it done. Also looking forward to seeing all my DBR friends at Tail Gate for good food and good fellowship.

On another note, I have two extra tickets available at face value if any of you guys need a pair. Good seats in the Iron Duke section. PM me if you need them and we can meet up at tail gate.

Lets Go Duke!!

LET'S GO DUKE!
    LET'S GO DUKE!
    LET'S GO DUKE!
    LET'S GO DUKE!
    LET'S GO DUKE!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I am stoked and ready for Saturday Night to get here! Looking forward to the game, and seeing if our guys can overcome the injuries and get it done. Also looking forward to seeing all my DBR friends at Tail Gate for good food and good fellowship.

On another note, I have two extra tickets available at face value if any of you guys need a pair. Good seats in the Iron Duke section. PM me if you need them and we can meet up at tail gate.

Lets Go Duke!!
    Check your inbox.

Even though I won't be able to watch in person, I'll be streaming the live video feed from ESPN3 on my phone, watching the game while I'm out camping this weekend. Technology can be so great sometimes.

Yea, I know camping is a time to disconnect, but THIS IS DUKE FOOTBALL!

So is E3 our only outlet?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

So this isn't really related to Duke at all, but given that it is Friday night(well, early Saturday morning), I thought I'd post Coach Gaines' halftime speech from Friday Night Lights. Except Blair Holliday is our Boobie Miles...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iPi...feature=fvwrel

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

(Again, I realize Friday Night Lights has no connection to Duke football, but I was in a FNL mood tonight...)