Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Why, why, why, would someone who is a sophomore in high school be making his college choice now? I know this happens not infrequently, but I don't get it. Where is the advantage to the kid in making such an early choice (other than, perhaps, reducing the number of calls and texts they receive for two years)? Does a school have any obligation to honor the "choice" of a player too young to sign in case of injury or just a better option coming down the pike?
    I agree with you - unless he picks Duke. In that case i think it would be a brilliant decision on this part.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I agree with you - unless he picks Duke. In that case i think it would be a brilliant decision on this part.
    Yes, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, of course.
    I read somewhere this this family's rationale is that if he commits early enough, the program he commits to will have time to recruit "around" him, essentially custom-crafting a team to complement his capabilities to maximize the chance of winning a championship in his single year of college. Not sure that rationale holds too much water, but that's what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I read somewhere this this family's rationale is that if he commits early enough, the program he commits to will have time to recruit "around" him, essentially custom-crafting a team to complement his capabilities to maximize the chance of winning a championship in his single year of college. Not sure that rationale holds too much water, but that's what I've read.
    I think it does. For example, if Towns picks Duke, Okafor and Jones will stick around for a second year and Rasheed will stay for his senior year. Those 4 could win the NC with me as the fifth starter ( and I will be 65 that year).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I think it does. For example, if Towns picks Duke, Okafor and Jones will stick around for a second year and Rasheed will stay for his senior year. Those 4 could win the NC with me as the fifth starter ( and I will be 65 that year).
    Well, that is interesting and logical in theory--but it reflects a pretty high level of confidence that the coach will perceive you (or your son, if the parents are promoting this idea) as the centerpiece of his future program--which, again, is assuming that nothing will change, except for the better, over the course of 2 1/2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    That sounds like it came from calipari

I probably read the same article as dukedoc, and a clarification may help sort things out. His family's verbiage does suggest a one-and-done outlook with a desire to win the championship "that year." Furthermore, they talk about building the program with other players as below:
    “One, it’s the benefit for the University to get prepared to build a good program for that year to win an NCAA championship, so it benefits the school, it benefits him because he can focus on what he has to do to get to the next level and become a better player when he reaches that level in college,” she said. “It’s a great thing. You don’t want to wait until the last year to decide where you want to go and then they don’t have the other athletes in place to make it a winning season for that university at the time.”
    However, it is his AAU coach who states “You can build a program around him. If he’s coming to your school, you build a program around him.

EDIT: Also relevant to the topic are Zagsblog's entries suggesting that he may reclassify to enter college a year early

He is a 17 year old sophomore. He is gonna reclassify so figure he is a junior. Geez. I was 17 when I graduated HS.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi90 View Post
    He is a 17 year old sophomore. He is gonna reclassify so figure he is a junior. ...

Well, he already has 12 credits in AFAM from unc ...

Thumbs up Mickey Mitchell

I saw Mickey Mitchell at the Beach Ball Tournament last year in Myrtle Beach.

There was a plethora of talent here, including Julius Randell and Shabazz.

No one...absolutely no one was more impressive than Mickey Mitchell...and he was just a freshman!

The kid can shoot, handle, rebound, and is a terrific passer! I was blown away by the kid. It looked to me he could step on a college court and be an immediate star!
    Just a complete player and polished!

My first thoughts were: Duke has to get this kid!

K was there and saw him. So was Roy.

I don't know anything about the Towns kid but I would find it hard to believe he is better than Mickey Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    I saw Mickey Mitchell at the Beach Ball Tournament last year in Myrtle Beach.

There was a plethora of talent here, including Julius Randell and Shabazz.

No one...absolutely no one was more impressive than Mickey Mitchell...and he was just a freshman!

The kid can shoot, handle, rebound, and is a terrific passer! I was blown away by the kid. It looked to me he could step on a college court and be an immediate star!
    Just a complete player and polished!

My first thoughts were: Duke has to get this kid!

K was there and saw him. So was Roy.

I don't know anything about the Towns kid but I would find it hard to believe he is better than Mickey Mitchell.
    Mitchell might be a better football player.

So, he really has some decisions to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Mitchell might be a better football player.

So, he really has some decisions to make.
    Mitchell tore his ACL a few weeks ago too. Who knows what impact that will have on things?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, he already has 12 credits in AFAM from unc ...
    and has been shaving for six years.

A name to keep an eye on for Duke in this class - PF Ben Simmons. Dave Telep says he could be "the best sophomore in America" and that "Duke is somewhat of a dream school" for him. From Australia and plays at Montverde Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    A name to keep an eye on for Duke in this class - PF Ben Simmons. Dave Telep says he could be "the best sophomore in America" and that "Duke is somewhat of a dream school" for him. From Australia and plays at Montverde Academy.
    Hmmm. We haven't been recruiting well in Australia recently ...

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Kid looks very solid at 6'8" and in the tenth grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwETYV90lM

Already trying to think of nicknames for the down under kid...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Kid looks very solid at 6'8" and in the tenth grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwETYV90lM

Already trying to think of nicknames for the down under kid...
    Thanks for the video. A lefty who can shoot from deep and finish with both hands. Looks good indeed.

Kyrie Irving is Australian.

Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Kyrie Irving is Australian.

Sort of.
    So you're saying they have an in?

The last Aussie I remember was Andrew Gaze and I would like o forget him.