Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147
Results 2,921 to 2,935 of 2935
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Lest we forget, the disastrous Kentucky platoon system almost led them to the championship game as undefeated favorites. it was only a 'disaster' since it may have hurt calipari's recruiting, which is a different thing. from my perspective, the biggest problem with the Kentucky team was the Harrison twins.
    Agreed. I'd also note that I'm not sure it actually hurt the recruits' draft stock. If anything, I might argue that the reduced playing time may have hidden some of the flaws for Towns, Cauley-Stein, and Booker, making their potential all the more appealing. And they got those 3 guys in the lottery anway. The platoon probably also helped Dakari Johnson get drafted this year, as the alternative would have meant even less playing time for him and a situation like Marcus Lee. As far as I can tell, the only guy who might have been hurt by the platoon was Lyles. But even he went in the lottery despite not doing much of anything great for the Wildcats last year.

But when you get 4 guys drafted in the lottery and 6 guys drafted overall, it's hard to see that as an unsuccessful strategy with regards to recruiting. And as we can see from this class, it's not like his recruiting efforts are suffering much. He got a great recruiting class in 2014 even after a down year. He got a great recruiting class this year. And I'd expect him to have a great recruiting class next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. I'd also note that I'm not sure it actually hurt the recruits' draft stock. If anything, I might argue that the reduced playing time may have hidden some of the flaws for Towns, Cauley-Stein, and Booker, making their potential all the more appealing. And they got those 3 guys in the lottery anway. The platoon probably also helped Dakari Johnson get drafted this year, as the alternative would have meant even less playing time for him and a situation like Marcus Lee. As far as I can tell, the only guy who might have been hurt by the platoon was Lyles. But even he went in the lottery despite not doing much of anything great for the Wildcats last year.

But when you get 4 guys drafted in the lottery and 6 guys drafted overall, it's hard to see that as an unsuccessful strategy with regards to recruiting. And as we can see from this class, it's not like his recruiting efforts are suffering much. He got a great recruiting class in 2014 even after a down year. He got a great recruiting class this year. And I'd expect him to have a great recruiting class next year too.
    I agree with all of this. I certainly get why we as Duke fans want to pick nits with Calipari (the Duke/UK history, the fact that Calipari has been so dominant in recruiting for a while, the fact that UK fans tend to hold a special type of hatred for Duke, and Calipari's shady history). However, I just don't understand how anyone can claim that Cal's recruiting and coaching have been a disaster. Since he got to UK, he's been to four Final Fours, won a title, and fielded a team that (barring the 2013 injury-plagued year) has been one of the best year in and year out. Now, I DO think he could've done better managing the rotation with his team last year. And I also think his coaching of offense is way overrated. But seriously, the ONLY two schools that wouldn't trade their most recent six year history for UK's are Duke (champions in 2010 and 2015 and competitive every year) and probably UCONN (two NCAA titles but less competitive overall). The 2013 NIT season hurt UK and the 2014 regular season was disappointing, however that 2014 season was salvaged by a run to the title game. Most schools would be fine having a random NIT season sandwiched between an Elite Eight, a Final Four, a National Title, a Title Game appearance, and another Final Four.

One can argue that with all that talent he should have won more than one title. One can also argue that the platoon system prevented Cal from figuring out which lineups were actually his best last season. But there has been nothing disastrous about Calipari's tenure at UK . . . and definitely nothing disastrous about last season. If you want to see a disaster, see Roy William in Fall 2009-Spring 2010. THAT was a disaster on par with the earthquake in Haiti. Even worse for Roy is that the worst disaster to befall him has not even happened yet (c'mon NCAA hammer!).

Tats

Is BI the most heavily tatted freshman MBB player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    For Duke, or CB in general? I think for Duke, he must be. For CB, Willie Cauley-Stein comes to mind pretty quickly.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Also...

...I don't mind tattoos at all. But I'm not sure about a rail-thin athlete getting tattoos who is supposed to bulk up over the next half decade. His smiley face tattoo could easily turn into a frowny face tattoo (for the record, I have no idea if he has a smiley face tattoo).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...I don't mind tattoos at all. But I'm not sure about a rail-thin athlete getting tattoos who is supposed to bulk up over the next half decade. His smiley face tattoo could easily turn into a frowny face tattoo (for the record, I have no idea if he has a smiley face tattoo).
    Also, a lot of his appear to be fresh. Here is Ingram two months ago...

https://instagram.com/p/5BHO2IFAjv/?taken-by=b_ingram13

BI Before.jpg

And here he is recently

https://instagram.com/p/7boEyKlAi-/?taken-by=b_ingram13

BI After.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Also, a lot of his appear to be fresh. Here is Ingram two months ago...

https://instagram.com/p/5BHO2IFAjv/?taken-by=b_ingram13

BI Before.jpg

And here he is recently

https://instagram.com/p/7boEyKlAi-/?taken-by=b_ingram13

BI After.jpg
    I stand corrected. That is a lot of tattoos.

For Duke, or CB in general? I think for Duke, he must be. For CB, Willie Cauley-Stein comes to mind pretty quickly.
    Good question. I was thinking Duke. Has there been another Duke freshman men's basketball player so inked upon arrival?

I stand corrected. That is a lot of tattoos.
    He didn't get them on a trip to New Jersey from a shady guy who is accepting payment later with crazy interest rates did he?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    He didn't get them on a trip to New Jersey from a shady guy who is accepting payment later with crazy interest rates did he?
    No, that's the guy who bought Sean Obi his ring.

I know this was mostly in jest, but he probably has nothing to worry about. Unless he plans on bulking up to the point that he can play linebacker, his tattoos should stay looking pretty solid, assuming the tattoo artist knew what s/he was doing. The real enemy of tattoos is sunlight. If he wants them looking fresh in ten years, I hope he's piling on the SPF.

Good question. I was thinking Duke. Has there been another Duke freshman men's basketball player so inked upon arrival?
    I remember a minor ruffle about Carlos Boozer when he came, although I am sure he was not the first with a biggun. (Seem to remember Greg Newton for example).

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Probably not, but if he went to NJ, he should have loaded up on pizzas, cheese steaks, hoagies/subs, dairy products, corn, tomatoes, blueberries and cranberries instead of spending his money on tats. Sadly, Dream Puffz is closed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Probably not, but if he went to NJ, he should have loaded up on pizzas, cheese steaks, hoagies/subs, dairy products, corn, tomatoes, blueberries and cranberries instead of spending his money on tats. Sadly, Dream Puffz is closed.
    You forgot the Taylor Pork Roll!!

Greg Newton was pretty inked up by the time he left, but I don't think he had that many coming in. I once read that the coaching staff joked that every time Greg had a bad practice or other grievance, he'd show up the next day with a new tat.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I remember a minor ruffle about Carlos Boozer when he came, although I am sure he was not the first with a biggun. (Seem to remember Greg Newton for example).
    The tattoo times have changed since Boozer, and it's not just athletes. Coach K used to a hard I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. with appearance, and now he understands that is something he cannot control (the facial hair, getting tattoos while AT Duke, etc).

I used to criticize Coach K for this tight grip on physical appearance, but I applaud him now for embracing it and making it a non-issue.

I know plenty of posters who like the "old" ways - the simple (boring) jerseys, the simple haircuts, the short shorts, the non-inked limbs - but times they are a changing. But we youngins, for the most part, embrace it.