Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Laettner & Davis Reenact The Stomp

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This is a first! A "reenactment" of an "act" that never happened! Impressive.

Didn't Laettner step backwards...

He is trying really hard to get his a hole persona away from him because he wants be taken seriously as a viable coaching so badly option in the future. All the best in everything have a little bit of that in them though (Phelps, Jordan, K, Knight, Bonds, etc.) hope he doesn't leave it behind completely. Even in McCallum's Dream Team book, in the interviews Laettner did recently for the book, the author doesn't completely believe the amazingly PC answers he gives, and I think actually says outright that Chris is trying to "grow up" so that he can be a bigger part of hoops in today's game.

Those pictures are hilarious though, it's hard to dislike AD.

What's the Back Story?

What is Laettner doing in London? Vacationing? On assignment? Advising the US team's coaching staff?

Please tell me I didn't miss some lengthy thread on "Laettner in London."

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What is Laettner doing in London? Vacationing? On assignment? Advising the US team's coaching staff?

Please tell me I didn't miss some lengthy thread on "Laettner in London."

sage
    He is the basketball analyst for foxsports.com. http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/ba...-opener-072912

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    He is the basketball analyst for foxsports.com. http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/ba...-opener-072912
    "Christian Laettner and Anthony Davis -- who are two of the three players to be named to Team USA straight from college since 1992 -- chatted"

Trivia contest: Does anyone know who was the third?
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    "Christian Laettner and Anthony Davis -- who are two of the three players to be named to Team USA straight from college since 1992 -- chatted"

Trivia contest: Does anyone know who was the third?
    Okafor?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Okafor?
    I know Jason Williams was on the all time worst NBA-players-playing 2002 World Championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Okafor?
    I wanna say that Laettner was one of two collegians on the 92 team. Maybe Mashburn?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wanna say that Laettner was one of two collegians on the 92 team. Maybe Mashburn?
    Okafor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketb...ummer_Olympics
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I really like Christian Laettner's persona. He's intelligent, funny and charismatic, not to mention the fact that he was one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. I also think he was a good player in the NBA, though for some reason many people denigrate his professional accomplishments. I think he would be a great addition to Duke's staff. Does anyone know if Coach K and Christian have ever discussed this option? I really hope it happens one day soon.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Laettner was the only non-pro on the 92 Dream Team, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I really like Christian Laettner's persona. He's intelligent, funny and charismatic, not to mention the fact that he was one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. I also think he was a good player in the NBA, though for some reason many people denigrate his professional accomplishments. I think he would be a great addition to Duke's staff. Does anyone know if Coach K and Christian have ever discussed this option? I really hope it happens one day soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Laettner was the only non-pro on the 92 Dream Team, FWIW.
    I actually think that fact--that he was the only non-pro on the dream team--may have a lot to do with why his pro contributions have been undervalued. It may lead people to compare him to the other players on that team, all of whom were all-time superstars. He also probably suffers because he was such a fantastic college player and his pro career didn't reach the same level.

As for Laettner on Duke's staff, would his NBA drug suspension be an obstacle? It's pretty clear it didn't involve "performance enhancing" drugs, so it's not an issue of cheating, but it isn't exactly a desirable resume line.

When you peel back the onion a bit, there is a pretty rich history, if inconsistent history, of college players, since 1992, joining the USA Senior National Team. In fact, Duke players are all over that history.

1992 - Laettner is part of the Dream Team

USA Basketball moved away from the concept for the 1994 Worlds and the 1996 Olympics. It picked up again, though, for the 1998 Worlds, by necessity. The NBA lock-out precluded an assemblage of NBA All Stars so the US sent a team cobbled together from Americans playing overseas and in the CBA. That team miraculously won the bronze and is a favorite of everyone associated with USA Basketball for their grit. The lone collegians on that team...Trajan Langdon and Brad Miller.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na.../mwc_1998.html

Because they failed to win Gold, the US had to play in the 1999 Tournament of the Americas to qualify for the Olympics. That squad featured a plethora of All Star NBA talent, but also included 3 collegians - Elton Brand, Rip Hamilton and Wally Szczerbiak.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...mtoa_1999.html

The 2000 Olympic team had no collegians. That collection of NBA talent came a Sarunas Jasikevicius (Lithuanian by way of College Park) missed 3 pointer at the buzzer from being the first collection of NBA All Stars to lose a FIBA game.

Come 2002, when USA Basketball hit its nadir, they came back around to the idea of including collegians, perhaps because no one wanted to play for Team USA anymore. Our beloved Jason Williams had the misfortune of being part of that team.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na.../mwc_2002.html

Again, Team USA had to head for the Tournament of the Americas to qualify for the Olympics. Because of the disgrace of 2002, the NBA stars came back in droves and we walked to the title. Nick Collison, coming of a stellar year with KU, was the lone collegian on the squad.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...mtoa_2003.html

As others have mentioned, Emeka Okafor got the nod to join the Olympic team in 2004. The loss and eventual upheaval of leadership and philosophy ended the inclusion of the collegians. While he may have been the best player in college, Anthony Davis was not chosen as a token. He earned his way onto the team, despite any objections that Boogie Cousins or Greg Monroe might offer.

So, if you do the math, of the 8 collegians chosen to be part of USA Basketball Teams since the pros took over in 1992, half have been Duke players. Maybe Wojo can use that for one of his #dukefacts tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Here are the ordianl rankings of the first 15 players taken in the 1992 draft. Christian is 4th in points, rebounds, and assists (5th in minutes played). The only player below him in the draft who arguably was better was Jimmy Jackson, the #4 pick. Christian performed pretty much as he was drafted.

Code:
    Ordinal Rankings for 1992 Draft						
    Pick #	Mins.	Pts.	RBs 	Assists		1992 Draft Picks
    1	 1 	1	1	1		Shaquille O'Neal (C)
    2	 5 	2	2	11		Alonzo Mourning (C)
    3	 6 	4	4	4		Christian Laettner (PF)
    4	 2 	3	7	2		Jimmy Jackson (SG)
    5	 10 	10	8	10		LaPhonso Ellis (PF)
    6	 7 	6	5	5		Tom Gugliotta (PF)
    7	 9 	7	9	7		Walt Williams (SF)
    8	 12 	11	13	13		Todd Day (SG)
    9	 3 	5	3	8		C. Weathersp'n (PF)
    10	 14 	14	10	14		Adam Keefe (PF)
    11	 4 	9	6	3		Robert Horry (SF)
    12	 15 	15	15	15		Harold Miner (SG)
    13	 11 	12	12	9		Bryant Stith (SG)
    14	 13 	13	14	12		Malik Sealy (SF)
    15	 8 	8	11	6		Anthony Peeler (SG)
    Here are the ordinals on the #3 picks, beginning with Michael Jordan in 1984 and extending to Raef LaFrentz in 1997. (Just Christian's luck to get compared to Shaq and MJ in two tables.) He appears to have been above-average as a #3 pick, eclipsed by MJ and Grant and edged by Billups and Stackhouse.

Code:
    Ordinal Ranking for #3 Draft Picks, 1984-1998						
    Pick #	Mins.	Pts.	RBs 	Assists		Player
    1984	1	1	1	1		Michael Jordan
    1985	7	5	4	10		Xavier McDaniel
    1986	15	15	15	15		Chris Washburn
    1987	14	14	14	14		Dennis Hopson
    1988	11	11	8	12		Charles Smith
    1989	8	9	9	9		Sean Elliott
    1990	12	10	13	8		Chris Jackson
    1991	10	12	6	11		Bill Owens
    1992	6	7	3	6		Christian Laettner
    1993	9	8	10	4		Penny Hardaway
    1994	4	4	5	3		Grant Hill
    1995	3	2	11	5		Jerry Stackhouse
    1996	2	3	2	7		Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    1997	5	6	12	2		Chauncey Billups
    1998	13	13	7	13		Raef Lafrentz
    Overall: Christian had a good career.

sagegrouse
    'The Hill and Billups data are obsolete since they continue in the league. I did this two years ago'

Am I correct in surmising that those numbers favor players with long careers? Not saying that's invalid, BTW.

But I think one of the reasons CL's career may be unappreciated is that he was never one of the best players viewed on a season-by-season basis. I'm not even sure in how many of his seasons he was a starter. I happen to think he was THE best college player ever, but I have a hard time thinking of him as one of the best pros.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

A ruptured achilles kept Christian from ranking higher on those lists... Prior to that injury he was an all star iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Am I correct in surmising that those numbers favor players with long careers? Not saying that's invalid, BTW.

But I think one of the reasons CL's career may be unappreciated is that he was never one of the best players viewed on a season-by-season basis. I'm not even sure in how many of his seasons he was a starter. I happen to think he was THE best college player ever, but I have a hard time thinking of him as one of the best pros.
    You can be sure now. Christian played 13 seasons. He was almost always a starter. The exceptions: his return from injury in Detroit in the season he played only 16 games. His last two years -- In Washington and Miami. Christian started 80 percent of all the games he played.

Never one of the best players on a season-by-season basis? Who on the list of 28 players in my two tables was a better player than Christian: Shaq, Alonzo, Grant Hill, Jordan -- for sure. Sean Elliott and Penny Hardaway were brilliant players with short-lived careers. Stackhouse? Not my kind of player, but there's an argument. Abdur-Rahim: don't remember him well, but, like Christian, he made one all-star team but only made the playoffs once (vs six times for Laettner).

"Favor players with long careers?" Probably. It is an old argument in sports: Gale Sayers (short, brilliant career) vs. Tony Dorsett (long productive career).

Actually, if I had to use a single statistic to value an NBA player it would probably be total minutes played: I mean, there's a reason he's out there.

Code:
    Season	Age	Tm	G	GS	Pct.
    1992-93	23	MIN	81	81	100.0%
    1993-94	24	MIN	70	67	95.7%
    1994-95	25	MIN	81	80	98.8%
    1995-96	26	TOT	74	71	95.9%
    1995-96	26	MIN	44	44	100.0%
    1995-96	26	ATL	30	27	90.0%
    1996-97	27	ATL	82	82	100.0%
    1997-98	28	ATL	74	49	66.2%
    1998-99	29	DET	16	0	0.0%
    1999-00	30	DET	82	82	100.0%
    2000-01	31	TOT	78	48	61.5%
    2000-01	31	DAL	53	35	66.0%
    2000-01	31	WAS	25	13	52.0%
    2001-02	32	WAS	57	48	84.2%
    2002-03	33	WAS	76	66	86.8%
    2003-04	34	WAS	48	18	37.5%
    2004-05	35	MIA	49	0	0.0%
    Career			868	692	79.7%
    sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post

Your youth is showing. Christian isn't even the ACC's "best player ever". But I'd give him second.

-jk