Picking the US U-23 Team

So, let's have a thought experiment. Assume that Stern and Cuban had gotten their way before this Olympics, and the basketball competition was subject to the same eligibility requirements as the men's soccer competition (three over-age players, and the rest born on or after January 1, 1989).

Who would you pick, assuming no one was missing due to injury.

How about this:

LeBron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Kyrie
    Davis
    Wall
    Faried
    M. Leonard
    K. Leonard
    Lillard
    Kidd-Gilchrist

A couple of thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    So, let's have a thought experiment. Assume that Stern and Cuban had gotten their way before this Olympics, and the basketball competition was subject to the same eligibility requirements as the men's soccer competition (three over-age players, and the rest born on or after January 1, 1989).

How about this:

LeBron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Kyrie
    Davis
    Wall
    Faried
    M. Leonard
    K. Leonard
    Lillard
    Kidd-Gilchrist
    I think James Harden makes this team since he's on the Olympic Team as it is and Paul George might well bump the other of Kawhi Leonard on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

I'd take Greg Monroe over Meyers Leonard. Monroe was a better college player and has proven himself to some extent in the NBA. Leonard's got a ton of talent, but he got zero coaching at Illinois.

Klay Thompson might have a role as a shooter -- something I think this lineup lacks after Kyrie, Durant and Lillard.

I'm not much of a John Wall fan, but I don't know who you would replace him with.

The other tough question might well be, as it was with the select team, whether or not you consider DeMarcus Cousins. His production certainly merits consideration. His head?

Here's my team

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Monroe
    George
    Thompson
    Cousins
    Wall

Cousins would be there

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Cousins would be there
    Unless he ended up in the Rondo Zone.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Unless he ended up in the Rondo Zone.
    Gilbert Arenas is offended that you renamed his baby.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

How about this:

LeBron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Kyrie
    Davis
    Wall
    Faried
    M. Leonard
    K. Leonard
    Lillard
    Kidd-Gilchrist
    I can't disagree with your list at all. It's probably pretty good, and would still be world dominant. What bothers me is the arrogance of Stern and Cuban in trying to dictate to the Olympic Committee and to FIBA. When I first came across this under 23 idea a few days ago my only reaction was that it is stupid. Now I realize that the international federations for each sport have the say in their respective sports, and that some sports already have age restrictions. I guess that's okay, but Cuban and Stern want to set up a world cup for basketball with it sounding like the NBA would be in charge. That's not okay. The NBA wants their version of the world cup to replace Olympics basketball. If we are to have a world cup why shouldn't it be controlled by FIBA? Maybe there is a compromise. If the NBA would declare that players must be 23 years old before the can play in the NBA, a lot of problems would be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    If the NBA would declare that players must be 23 years old before the can play in the NBA, a lot of problems would be solved.
    For everyone except the players--but then that's how it usually is...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post

I'm not much of a John Wall fan, but I don't know who you would replace him with.

Here's my team

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Monroe
    George
    Thompson
    Cousins
    Wall
    I hate to say it, but with the rest of this team looking like it does, you don't need (or necessarily want) a scoring point guard. What about Kendall Marshall?

Russell Westbrook's still only 23, as are Kevin Love and Derrick Rose. They would definitely make the team as well as Harden (of course, barring known injuries).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Here's my team

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Monroe
    George
    Thompson
    Cousins
    Wall
    I like this team as well, but with a few changes. I think the top three are obvious as well as Griffin, Harden, Davis, KI, Wall, and Cousins. That leave Monroe, George, and Thompson as wild cards.

Russell Westbrook wouldn't qualify if the cutoff date in January 1, 1989 as he was born on November 12, 1988. Neither would Kevin Love (September 7, 1988) or Derrick Rose (October 4, 1988). Eric Gordon also barely misses the cutoff as he was born on December 25, 1988.

I think that Kemba Walker, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Thomas Robinson, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist belong in the discussion with Monroe, George and Thompson.

All that said, my team would be:

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Cousins
    Wall
    Evans
    Monroe
    Kidd-Gilchrist

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What about Kendall Marshall?
    I'm trying to imagine Kendall Marshall guarding Ricky Rubio, Tony Parker, or Patty Mills. What I'm imagining is not pretty. Not even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I like this team as well, but with a few changes. I think the top three are obvious as well as Griffin, Harden, Davis, KI, Wall, and Cousins. That leave Monroe, George, and Thompson as wild cards.

Russell Westbrook wouldn't qualify if the cutoff date in January 1, 1989 as he was born on November 12, 1988. Neither would Kevin Love (September 7, 1988) or Derrick Rose (October 4, 1988). Eric Gordon also barely misses the cutoff as he was born on December 25, 1988.

I think that Kemba Walker, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Thomas Robinson, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist belong in the discussion with Monroe, George and Thompson.

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Cousins
    Wall
    Evans
    Monroe
    Kidd-Gilchrist
    I think that team's obvious achilles heel would be outside shooting. Not nearly enough of it IMO espec. for the international game.

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Griffin
    Hardin
    Davis
    Kyrie
    Cousins
    Wall
    Evans
    Monroe
    Kidd-Gilchrist
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-2012-olympics

Bleacher Report has done the same thought exercise, though they missed Big Pappa's note about the birthdates.

Bonus link:http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/8/1/3...ollege-players

A Kentuckian does thought experiment on "what if the US had stuck to collegians all along?"... and his list is Duke heavy.
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 08-01-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Russell Westbrook's still only 23, as are Kevin Love and Derrick Rose. They would definitely make the team as well as Harden (of course, barring known injuries).
    Actually, they are all too old per the criteria (born before January 1, 1989).

EDIT: didn't see Big Pappa's post which says the same thing (and more).

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think that team's obvious achilles heel would be outside shooting. Not nearly enough of it IMO espec. for the international game.
    I would assume Kyrie (39.9% last year), Durant (38.7% last year), and LeBron (36.2% last year) would all be starters who are good-great three-point shooters. Harden is also a very good outside shooter at 41%.

Still a good point though regarding shooting depth. Maybe a swap or Kidd-Gilchrist and Klay Thompson would help address that.

I would assume Kyrie (39.9% last year), Durant (38.7% last year), and LeBron (36.2% last year) would all be starters who are good-great three-point shooters. Harden is also a very good outside shooter at 41%.

Still a good point though regarding shooting depth. Maybe a swap or Kidd-Gilchrist and Klay Thompson would help address that.
    Maybe, but consider that Kyrie is not a world-class on-ball defender (at least not yet). I would want to have a lock-down defender with some length to bring off the bench if a Rubio or a Parker starts going off. That was my reason for having Kidd-Gilchrist.