Duke football self-destructing again

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=23095

[edit: You can't post copyrighted material.]
    Last edited by -jk; 08-06-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: copyright violation

Never any good news when it comes to Duke football. One step forward two steps back. It only gets worse.

So, what's your point? How does that rise to the football program self destructing? Coaches discipline players all of the time. Let's wait until Coach Roof completes his investigation. Let's not rush to judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    So, what's your point? How does that rise to the football program self destructing? Coaches discipline players all of the time. Let's wait until Coach Roof completes his investigation. Let's not rush to judgment.
    I don't want to get into an internet argument - my point was he is the leader of our defense andf our voacjh just suspended him indfefinitetly. Last year our leader 0on offense was kicked off the teasm and suspended from school - he is b ack this year. I am veery disappointed.

Let's hope for the best.

I just saw this a few minutes ago. Last year it was Zack and this year its Michael Tauiliili.

Let's hope they recover from this one better than the last one. This is where the depth and red shirts from last year might pay off if he is truly gone for the year.

however, I do applaud Coach Roof for standing up here.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-05-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Side Thoughts...

I can't wonder if we're overly harsh on our players. I'm not specifically referring to Taulllili, but rather to Della Donne.

I found this article as a link from the problem's surrounding Texas's program this year. 2 players have been suspended for THREE games next season after a DWI. These suspensions are a result of Brown's "zero-tolerance policy."

Three games? Della Donne was suspended the whole year, and after that he transferred. Do you think we were overly harsh? Is Texas being lax? (Read the other string of incidents that has happened at Texas too- what would happen if those were Duke players?)

Texas article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2962514

Duke article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2962350

Delle Donne's decision to transfer had less to do with his suspension and more to do with the decision not to retain Marty Galbraith, the OC who recruited him and sold him on the notion that we were building an offense around his skill set....when Galbraith was let go and O'Brien was brought in, the writing was on the wall

lives near a number of big white buildings
    I believe there is a published code of conduct which students must agree to adhere in order to represent Duke as an athlete.
    http://www.goduke.com/pdf5/41227.pdf...DB_OEM_ID=4200

I also believe it is a coach's responsibility to impress upon his players that these policies are to be taken with the utmost seriousness. And it is the AD's responsibility to make sure coaches are exercising appropriate communication and supervision regarding these matters.

(Not sure there is a weapons prohibition in there--but there certainly should be, and it is too late tonight for me to read all 35 pages to check--but we ALREADY KNOW Duke policies regarding alcohol.)

On the heels of the events of the last few years, this matter, unfortunately, can not be taken lightly.
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 08-06-2007 at 04:43 AM.

It is extremely disappointing that MLB Michael Tuailiili has failed in his commitment to the team. I realize that all the facts are not yet known but the laundry list of charges paint an ugly picture. The football team was relying on Tuailiili to be an on field leader, but it appears he will instead be an off field spectator.

Discipline is paramount for the overall health of the team and Michael Tuailiili is about to learn a powerful, and for him painful, lesson: no one individual is bigger than the collective team. The rules of an organization must be enforced. Coach Roof has no alternative than to suspend Tuailiili and I applaud him for taking swift and decisive action.

Once all the facts are known, Coach Roof can easily back off the suspension, if the situation warrants a lesser punishment or exoneration.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Discipline is paramount for the overall health of the team and Michael Tuailiili is about to learn a powerful, and for him painful, lesson: no one individual is bigger than the collective team. The rules of an organization must be enforced. Coach Roof has no alternative than to suspend Tuailiili and I applaud him for taking swift and decisive action.

Once all the facts are known, Coach Roof can easily back off the suspension, if the situation warrants a lesser punishment or exoneration.
    We can all be thankful that no one was seriously hurt or killed by Tauiliili allegedly driving drunk. Driving drunk is a stupid, reckless act. A 20 year old drinking responsibly does not bother me. That being said, it is his alleged actions AFTER the accident that are most troubling, and if proven true, will likely result in Tauiliili sitting out this year, if he even is allowed to, or chooses to, return to Duke after that. And why was he even carrying a knife and a gun (even if it was "only" an air gun)?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    I can't wonder if we're overly harsh on our players. I'm not specifically referring to Taulllili, but rather to Della Donne.

I found this article as a link from the problem's surrounding Texas's program this year. 2 players have been suspended for THREE games next season after a DWI. These suspensions are a result of Brown's "zero-tolerance policy."

Three games? Della Donne was suspended the whole year, and after that he transferred. Do you think we were overly harsh?
    Wasn't Delle Donne suspended for a single game? That just happened to be the game that Asack claimed the starting job for the rest of the year.

Asack was suspended for the entire season the next year, but I believe that was for academic dishonesty.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We can all be thankful that no one was seriously hurt or killed by Tauiliili allegedly driving drunk. Driving drunk is a stupid, reckless act. A 20 year old drinking responsibly does not bother me. That being said, it is his alleged actions AFTER the accident that are most troubling, and if proven true, will likely result in Tauiliili sitting out this year, if he even is allowed to, or chooses to, return to Duke after that. And why was he even carrying a knife and a gun (even if it was "only" an air gun)?
    I couldn't agree more. The guy sounds like a real piece of work.

As far as precedence goes, Winston Justice was suspended for 1 season at USC for threatening another student with a pellet gun. AFAIK, his case didn't involve underage drinking, DWI or assault. This is a bad situation and Tauiliili needs to worry about more important things than football or even school at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Delle Donne's decision to transfer had less to do with his suspension and more to do with the decision not to retain Marty Galbraith, the OC who recruited him and sold him on the notion that we were building an offense around his skill set....when Galbraith was let go and O'Brien was brought in, the writing was on the wall
    Ugh... my god, O'Brien was bad. Those are the types of hires, when they happen, that make me wonder whether the Ath. Dept. cares about football. A castoff from Maryland (and I think Ga Tech.).