Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beatles at Duke?

I was looking up some info about the classic Simon & Garfunkel concert on campus (October 12, 1968) and stumbled onto this:

http://duke.edu/web/duuma/classic.html

Unless my brain has really slipped a few gears, I do not recall The Beatles showing up at Duke on February 15, 1969. (One would think there would be a statue or something? )

I do remember most of the other groups listed during my Durham associations from 1966-1972, and I was known to venture into Carmichael Auditorium at times for some concerts there. The Greensboro Coliseum even had some classic concerts.

k

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I was looking up some info about the classic Simon & Garfunkel concert on campus (October 12, 1968) and stumbled onto this:

http://duke.edu/web/duuma/classic.html

Unless my brain has really slipped a few gears, I do not recall The Beatles showing up at Duke on February 15, 1969. (One would think there would be a statue or something? )

I do remember most of the other groups listed during my Durham associations from 1966-1972, and I was known to venture into Carmichael Auditorium at times for some concerts there. The Greensboro Coliseum even had some classic concerts.

k
    Given that the Beatles stopped touring in 1965 and the only other live performance they gave was on the roof of the Abbey Road studio, an appearance in Durham in 1969 seems just a tad unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Given that the Beatles stopped touring in 1965 and the only other live performance they gave was on the roof of the Abbey Road studio, an appearance in Durham in 1969 seems just a tad unlikely.
    A minor correction: the Beatles stopped touring in 1966 and the 1969 rooftop performance was on top of the Apple Building.
    Bob Green

The Beatles

I can practically guarantee you that the Beatles never played at Duke. I was in school from, the fall of 1967 through 1971 and I think I attended every rock and pop concert in Cameron (and most at nearby Dorton Arena in Raleigh). I also used to attend Duke concerts when I was a high school student at Durham's Jordan High, so I'm sure they didn't visit earlier -- I was BIG Beatles fan and I think I would have noticed.

I was at the Turtles concert mentioned ... that turned out to be a memorable experience, not because of the Turtles, who were quite mundane, but because their warm-up act was a band called the New York Rock and Roll Ensemble. They were a bunch of Julliard Students who brilliantly blended classical music with hard rock. Their performance was so electric that the audience demanded several encores, then booed when they finally left the stage for the Turtles. I guess it's no wonder that the Turtles gave us a lame performance.

Looking at the list, I think the other most memorable concert was Simon and Garfinkel. At the time, they had not recorded Bridge over Troubled Water (it was released in 1970) ... they used it to close their concert performances. Believe me, ihearing it for the first time blew me, my date and the other 8,000 or so people in attendence away.

Joplin. Aretha, James Taylor ... all great. I also remember great concerts by The Fifth Dimension and the Lovin' Spoonful (a very relxaed concert -- remember John Sebastian's playful banter with the crowd). The year after the Turtles, we got the New York Rock and Roll Ensemble back for their own event. I think that they were on the bill with Janis Ian. Not sure about that, my memory is a little fuzzy (I know Ian was at Duke ... just not positive it was with the NYRRE). I'm sure there are some concerts I forgot.

But I don't believe I could have forgotten the Beatles.

Question

Any chance George Harrison was getting his tonsils removed at Duke Hospital?

http://beatleswiki.org/wiki/George_r...ruary_15,_1969

... and John, Paul, & Ringo came to pick him up and gave an impromptu performance before they left that somehow got forgotten by everyone else?

Maybe it was for THE Duke. In London.
    ~rthomas

Clarification needed

Rest assured that the ONLY reason I raised the question was because of what showed up in the link I cited with the original post. I quess the proper inquiry would be to the originator of that web page?

FWIW: There was a great discussion about concerts in the "Indoor Stadium" ( http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...esome-Concerts ) previously on these boards. Be sure to read the comments by jimsumner.

As for the actual S & G concert, mentioned by Olympic Fan, I was indeed in attendance at that concert and agree completely with the comments posted.

Although it was a tad before my residency on West Campus, I have heard from others there were some very nice open-air concerts held in the Duke gardens in the early/mid 60's.

k

Although it was a tad before my residency on West Campus, I have heard from others there were some very nice open-air concerts held in the Duke gardens in the early/mid 60's.

k
    Bo Diddley was out on the football practice field. The (first) Brothers Four was on the west quad (1961?). Joan Baez is said to have sung and played while wading in the Gardens pond one Sunday morning after a Saturday night concert.

We should start a poll - which was better, the Beatles concert of 2/15/69 or Jerry Ford's 2008 Commencement address.

That's absolutely hilarious. That has to be someone's attempt at a sly, inside joke.

Or perhaps they're confusing it with the takeover of the Allen Building, which took place on February 13, 1969.

Regardless, it could not have been the original Beatles. Paul died in a car crash in 1966.

(And, did anyone really like the band after Pete Best left anyway?)

I think you have it spelled wrong. The first Beadle sighting I know of on Duke Campus was in August 1979. Fairly regular sightings for the ensuing 8 semesters

Heard this was after their trip to India and they came for the rice diet. Or maybe they performed at Rice....it was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Heard this was after their trip to India and they came for the rice diet. Or maybe they performed at Rice....it was a long time ago.
    Maybe it was the site designer who took the "trip"

Picture yourself on a tangerine river . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe it was the site designer who took the "trip"

Picture yourself on a tangerine river . . . .
    The girl with colitis goes by...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Ew.

I'm afraid to know what you hear when you play Revolution #9 backwards.

(And for those of you too young to remember the Beatles, the "#" is not a Twitter hashtag).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

It took me a second. Only a doctor would come up with "colitis goes by"...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Smile Stone Ponies to Woodstock

Rest assured that the ONLY reason I raised the question was because of what showed up in the link I cited with the original post. I quess the proper inquiry would be to the originator of that web page?

FWIW: There was a great discussion about concerts in the "Indoor Stadium" ( http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...esome-Concerts ) previously on these boards. Be sure to read the comments by jimsumner.

As for the actual S & G concert, mentioned by Olympic Fan, I was indeed in attendance at that concert and agree completely with the comments posted.

k
    S & G concert was awesome. I recall only a small crowd for the Stone Ponies (Linda Ronstadt) in the Garden, but I bet none of us were surprised by her subsequent success. She was delightful.
    I'm glad I had seen some great concerts so that when I was doing a little catch up at the 1969 summer session(back in the day of required courses),I gladly accepted my friend's invite to come on up to NY for what looked like a great gathering of acts. Turned out OK. Free too!

Ew.

(And for those of you too young to remember the Beatles, the "#" is not a Twitter hashtag).

Daed si luap.

Ew.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

It took me a second. Only a doctor would come up with "colitis goes by"...
    Her name was actually Lucy and she was in disguise with diamonds.