I'm sure you all are waking up and learning about the horrific attack at a Denver midnight screening of The Dark Knight.

I guess in a way, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened before. I was talking with a few friends a couple of months ago, and we all agreed that if terrorists wanted to stage something really big, they could do coordinated attacks at movie theaters - it's dark, everyone is contained in their seats, etc. This doesn't look like a "terrorist" attack, but it sure changes things. Movies are supposed to be an escape. A fun place to take your kids, or yourself to get away from the stress of the world. Then something like this happens.

My first reaction was "well, I guess there will be metal detectors now at theaters," but then I read that this guy kicked in the emergency exit (though I'm sure all the actual details are not out yet, and maybe someone just thought that's how he got in). Regardless, you will be seeing movie theaters ramp up security and safeguards. Hopefully there won't be copy cat killers going forward, but odds are now that someone has seen how this can be done, there will (one day) be others.

Now we'll get the debates over guns and access to them (which I will leave out of this discussion).

A sad day for everyone. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.