Duke barber David Fowler

I just got done reading in the online edition of The Chronicle the story on David Fowler, who has been employed at the Duke barbershop since 1959. When I was a student at Duke in the late 70's and early 80's, I believe I used to get my hair cut by him, in the barbershop in the basement of the Union building. Needless to say, he looks a lot older in the recent photo of him in the story than what I remember but he undoubtedly was the best barber I have ever used in my lifetime. In the 29 years since I left Duke, I have been on a futile search for someone who could cut hair as well as he could (and thank God I still have all my hair, although considerably grayer than in my Duke days). I also remember that he was a very nice guy. If I had more money, I would fly down to Durham just to get my haircut by him. Does anyone else remember him?

I was there in 1960, but his current picture doesn't help me. Fifty-two years will do that to you. We wuz both kids.

Still, keep hanging in there, Mr. Fowler!

Another question

I took a copy of a similar article (from alumni magazine?) to my barber this week.

Yes, that was some time ago. IIRC, the barber shop was more or less "across the hall" from the post office, which everyone visited daily. Dare I even mention the nearby "Dope Shop" ?!?

I was also trying to remember the cost of a haircut there (late 60s). My best guess was ~$2.00. Does anyone recall??

k

More

(I could not locate the "edit" thing... )

I was unable to find the article (half-page, with pictures) from the Duke Magazine. I thought it was from an issue earlier this year?

But I did stumble upon these links. Apparently the barber shop (including Mr. Fowler) has been a frequent topic over the years.

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/duk...03/depobs.html

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...op-clips-along

k

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I just got done reading in the online edition of The Chronicle the story on David Fowler, who has been employed at the Duke barbershop since 1959. When I was a student at Duke in the late 70's and early 80's, I believe I used to get my hair cut by him, in the barbershop in the basement of the Union building. Needless to say, he looks a lot older in the recent photo of him in the story than what I remember but he undoubtedly was the best barber I have ever used in my lifetime. In the 29 years since I left Duke, I have been on a futile search for someone who could cut hair as well as he could (and thank God I still have all my hair, although considerably grayer than in my Duke days). I also remember that he was a very nice guy. If I had more money, I would fly down to Durham just to get my haircut by him. Does anyone else remember him?
    You ought to write him and tell him all that! Might mean a great deal to him to hear you express it personally.

I was an Al Starr guy myself.

I began using David midway through in my freshman year (mid-1990s) and continued throughout my four years. He is a fine barber and a true southern gentleman, and it was always entertaining to hear the conversations between David and his colleagues, with David usually playing the straight man. I'm glad to hear he is still there and doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    You ought to write him and tell him all that! Might mean a great deal to him to hear you express it personally.
    If I had his email address, I WOULD send him a note !

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    If I had his email address, I WOULD send him a note !
    Well, from a Duke page, here's the snail mail address of the barber shop and also its phone number. I imagine he can receive snail mail at that address or a phone call can provide his email address.

The Duke Barber Shop
    Duke University
    Room 023 (basement)
    West Union Building
    Durham, NC 27708

Tel: (919) 684-3909

All this reminds me of writing three of my favorite professors *and a couple of the deans I had worked closely with at Duke) about 15 years after graduating, thanking them for what they contributed to my education. I got back the most appreciative letters, some of them a number of pages, from all, detailing, among other things, how much it meant to them to get a letter like that from a former student.

For an older individual, it might be particularly heartening to get an unexpected nice letter.
    Last edited by SmartDevil; 07-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    Well, from a Duke page, here's the snail mail address of the barber shop and also its phone number. I imagine he can receive snail mail at that address or a phone call can provide his email address.

The Duke Barber Shop
    Duke University
    Room 023 (basement)
    West Union Building
    Durham, NC 27708

Tel: (919) 684-3909

All this reminds me of writing three of my favorite professors *and a couple of the deans I had worked closely with at Duke) about 15 years after graduating, thanking them for what they contributed to my education. I got back the most appreciative letters, some of them a number of pages, from all, detailing, among other things, how much it meant to them to get a letter like that from a former student.

For an older individual, it might be particularly heartening to get an unexpected nice letter.
    I don't care how old you are, an unexpected nice letter is always heartening.