Lets Not Look Ahead

I think its unfair to the 2012-13 team to look ahead to 13-14.

Yes it will be nice to have Andre, the transfer, and any recruits.

But we will not be be chopped liver next year, in my opinion. In any case our energy etc. should be in support of that team.

Looking forward to the 2012-13 team.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

But we will not be be chopped liver next year, in my opinion. In any case our energy etc. should be in support of that team.

SoCal
    But last time I/we did that, Duke was led by a team with 3 seniors, had an exciting transfer and many were looking forward to the following year with the transfer and (potential) top recruit in the class, Duke happened to win a national title.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But last time I/we did that, Duke was led by a team with 3 seniors, had an exciting transfer and many were looking forward to the following year with the transfer and (potential) top recruit in the class, Duke happened to win a national title.
    Yep. 2011 was seen as THE year while 2010 was viewed as something us fans just had to find a way to get through without too much embarrassment and suffering (after all, we had a couple unathletic big men who were a waste of scholarships and hadn't improved through three years at Duke).

The 2013 team will be really talented and will be led by three seniors who don't seem to get the credit they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    Yep. 2011 was seen as THE year while 2010 was viewed as something us fans just had to find a way to get through without too much embarrassment and suffering (after all, we had a couple unathletic big men who were a waste of scholarships and hadn't improved through three years at Duke).

The 2013 team will be really talented and will be led by three seniors who don't seem to get the credit they deserve.
    Yeah, I'm sort of optimistic about the team we'll put on the floor next season. But most of y'all probably could have guessed that. Is it too early to predict 40 - 0? Of course, that's only if we play 40 games. 38 or 39 - 0 would be perfectly fine with me!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

SoCal
    This is a false dichotomy in my opinion. For one, how much "energy" is necessary for this season on a message board? We can be plenty focused on next season while ALSO discussing the following season.

Second, it's the offseason anyway. So all discussions/thoughts are involving something in the somewhat-distant future regardless.

Yeah, I don't have any trouble being excited about this upcoming season while at the same time paying close attention to the 2013 class and getting excited about that too. There's no limit to my excitement about Duke basketball 8-) And it's just a fact of how recruiting works, you're always having to plan way ahead. But I understand your point and we definitely want to give this year's team the props they deserve. We're sort of flying under the radar right now at the national level, but I do think we have the potential to be really good at the end of the season.

Personally, I'm getting pumped for football season.

Go Cut! Go Duke!! Go to Hell, Carolina!!!!

If we 'play big' with Mason, Kelly and Murphy or Jefferson, get improvement from PG Cook and get some play I think we're going to get from the freshman Suliamon, I think we could have a big year THIS YEAR. Early predictions are Indiana and Louisville are the teams to beat and neither scares me at all!!

As Duke fans, I think we're capable of being excited about everything all the time.

2012-13? Supermega awesomeness impending. The season thereafter? Even more supermega awesomeness to anticipate. 2030-31? Shane Battier, Jr. and Grant Hill, Jr.?! HOLY CRAP.

Battier/Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    As Duke fans, I think we're capable of being excited about everything all the time.

2012-13? Supermega awesomeness impending. The season thereafter? Even more supermega awesomeness to anticipate. 2030-31? Shane Battier, Jr. and Grant Hill, Jr.?! HOLY CRAP.

Must have missed the 2030-31 Recruiting thread, but this sounds like great news on Battier Jr and Hill Jr. Would argue against over-confidence, however. Until they sign -- or at least are able to speak -- would not count our chickens. Remember HB! But glad to hear the Two Junior Amigos are on the staff's radar screens.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Must have missed the 2030-31 Recruiting thread, but this sounds like great news on Battier Jr and Hill Jr. Would argue against over-confidence, however. Until they sign -- or at least are able to speak -- would not count our chickens. Remember HB! But glad to hear the Two Junior Amigos are on the staff's radar screens.
    In 2030, you will be able to Skype over time as well as distance.

We already have the signed commitments, waiting in the vault until they can be released.

Smile and, as usual . . .

Based on preliminary ultrasound testing of the mothers, ESPN, rivals.com, and the N&O have already rated UNC's recruiting class of 2031 ahead of Duke's, which they found overall to be "alarmingly unathletic."

Heck! I'm just trying to finalize tomorrow's 4th menu. Plus bracing myself for the soon to be arriving hoops ticket annual commitment billet doux.

But

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This is a false dichotomy in my opinion. For one, how much "energy" is necessary for this season on a message board? We can be plenty focused on next season while ALSO discussing the following season.

Second, it's the offseason anyway. So all discussions/thoughts are involving something in the somewhat-distant future regardless.
    I certainly agree that we can discuss the future. And maybe energy was the wrong word.

I would not want any of next year's seniors to think that the fans are really looking forward to the following year and less interested in 12-13.

SoCal

I certainly agree that we can discuss the future. And maybe energy was the wrong word.

I would not want any of next year's seniors to think that the fans are really looking forward to the following year and less interested in 12-13.

SoCal
    I assure you at the moment I am much more excited for next season than I am for the season after. It is surprisingly rare in the Coach K era that we have three or more seniors playing prominent roles (in the list below, by "prominent" I mean 15+ minutes per game):

1986: Alarie, Bilas, J Dawkins, D Henderson; 37-3, championship game
    1989: Ferry, J Smith, Snyder; 28-8, Final Four
    1990: Abdelnaby, Brickey, P Henderson; 29-9, championship game
    1994: G Hill, Lang, M Clark; 28-6, championship game
    2006: Redick, S Williams, Dockery, Melchionni; 32-4, Sweet 16
    2010: Scheyer, Zoubek, Thomas; 35-5, NCAA Champion
    2013: Mas Plumlee, Kelly, Curry; tbd...

Obviously nothing's guaranteed, but the above list has to make Duke fans feel good about our 2012-13 prospects**.

That said, I'm still interested in how the pieces are going to fall together for 2013-14. I don't think keeping tabs on that takes anything away from 2012-13.

**EDIT: I originally posted the above list a few months ago, and someone pointed out the 1995 team had three seniors that played 15+ minutes per game. While true, since Coach K missed most of the season, I have not included it because it was not really in the "Coach K era." Feel free to disagree.
    Last edited by Kedsy; 07-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Senior leadership

I look forward to seeing our seniors step up and be the leaders of this year's team. It's going to be interesting to see Kelly, Mason and Seth being vocal on the court because they seem to be quiet guys. Another player that could be a leader if he's healthy is Quinn. I like it when our point guard is one of the leaders. But at this point we don't know if Quinn is up to the task because of his health. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 07-04-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Why does excitement about Duke basketball have to be zero sum? Just because I'm looking forward to vacation with my family doesn't mean I'm not enjoying spending time with them now.