Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rivers' Draft Prospects

On Scott Van Pelt today they were saying they expect Rivers to go somewhere between 8 and 10 on Thursday night's draft. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mock drafts of projections lately, but I had initially heard he was borderline lottery (with the weird rumor of a "guarantee" somewhere near the end of the lottery).

Anyone got a better line on what's causing the heightened interest?

/here's to he and Miles having good nights on Thursday - may they both do our devils proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    On Scott Van Pelt today they were saying they expect Rivers to go somewhere between 8 and 10 on Thursday night's draft. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mock drafts of projections lately, but I had initially heard he was borderline lottery (with the weird rumor of a "guarantee" somewhere near the end of the lottery).

Anyone got a better line on what's causing the heightened interest?

/here's to he and Miles having good nights on Thursday - may they both do our devils proud.
    From what I've seen, Rivers will be a lottery pick and while 8-10 is somewhat likely, 8-15 is a far more accurate way to put his likely range.

Austin seems to be pegged as a combo guard - not big enough to be a true 2 and not pg enough to be a 1. There are several guys with similar skill sets to him -Waiters (more athletic), Lillard (more pg), and Jeremy Lamb (more upside, less effort).

Some teams are high on him while others do not see where he fits, so he sort of has a wide range of places he may go in the draft. I have not read a whole lot about his workouts, anyone got any details on that stuff?

There's been a lot of Austin draft discussion on the board...I think the feeling is that he's going to go higher than expected because someone has promised him that they are going to draft him in a certain spot.

If you were to guess based on who he's working out for, it'd be mid-high lottery. But who knows.

Just my own guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin as a good scorer in the NBA. Like a 20-pt/game guy a few years down the road.

Don't see many guys who can drive and create their own shot like he can at his age. Has good range and competitive fire.
    Needs to continue to work, but has a high motor and should be able to do that.

I think Rivers jumped up for several reasons. First, the idea of combo-guard isn't as taboo anymore with players like Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, or even Avery Bradley showing they can still succeed. In addition, Rivers measured fairly well at the combine with his height being on par with the average NBA SG. His wingspan was a bit below the average SG but not too enough to set off any alarms, so Rivers can settle in as a combo guard or fit in fine as a pure SG with his size.

Additionally, while this draft does seem to boast some talent throughout, there are not very many true impact players and Rivers has the potential to be more than just a rotation guy. While the guy has a lot to work on and his basketball knowledge was questioned at times, the potential is there. He remains one of a few guys in this draft who can create a shot for himself and can break down defenders. Of course, he has to work on his left hand, finishing at the rim, free throw shooting, and perhaps 3 point shooting b/c it is unclear if his unorthodox shot will translate, but he could be a perennial all star while many of the guys getting drafted around 10 seem to have less upside like a Tyler Zeller.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I think Rivers jumped up for several reasons. First, the idea of combo-guard isn't as taboo anymore with players like Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, or even Avery Bradley showing they can still succeed. In addition, Rivers measured fairly well at the combine with his height being on par with the average NBA SG. His wingspan was a bit below the average SG but not too troubling so Rivers can settle in as a combo guard or fit in fine as a pure SG with his size.

Additionally, while this draft does seem to boast some talent throughout, there are not very many true impact players and Rivers has the potential to be more than just a rotation guy. While the guy has a lot to work on and his basketball knowledge was questioned at times, the potential is there. He remains one of a few guys in this draft who can create a shot for himself and can break down defenders. Of course, he has to work on his left hand, finishing at the rim, free throw shooting, and perhaps 3 point shooting b/c it is unclear if his unorthodox shot will translate, he could be a perennial all star while many of the guys getting drafted around 10 seem to have less upside like a Tyler Zeller.
    I completely agree with you, but I think scoring is all he may be able to provide, much in the mold of Jamal Crawford. This isn't a bad thing at all - he may be a great sixth man or a scorer on a team with a bunch of really good defensive players who need scoring, like Lou Williams. However, expecting Austin Rivers to be an All-Star without anything else may be asking a little too much.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just my own guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin as a good scorer in the NBA. Like a 20-pt/game guy a few years down the road.

Don't see many guys who can drive and create their own shot like he can at his age. Has good range and competitive fire.
    Needs to continue to work, but has a high motor and should be able to do that.
    Kevin Martin is the guy I keep picturing when I think about Austin as pro. Martin could score, but struggled on D and was too small to be a real full on 2 guard. But he also doesn't demand the ball in his hand at all times like a Tyreke Evans does. I think Austin can be similar.

If the Rockets let Lowrey go (he and McHale don't get along) he wouldn't be a bad fit if he can buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Kevin Martin is the guy I keep picturing when I think about Austin as pro. Martin could score, but struggled on D and was too small to be a real full on 2 guard. But he also doesn't demand the ball in his hand at all times like a Tyreke Evans does. I think Austin can be similar.

If the Rockets let Lowrey go (he and McHale don't get along) he wouldn't be a bad fit if he can buy in.
    Agreed, except, thing is, even Kevin Martin is 6'7. I sort of see Austin as a mix between Martin and Lou Williams; explosive scorer, but no defined position and kind of unpredictable.

He almost seems like he'd be better on a 2nd team to me, in the Williams/Harden role, if he can improve his vision a bit. That way, he can be aggressive with the ball without having to be as concerned about guarding hotshot NBA wings or taking shots from his team's stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Agreed, except, thing is, even Kevin Martin is 6'7. I sort of see Austin as a mix between Martin and Lou Williams; explosive scorer, but no defined position and kind of unpredictable.

He almost seems like he'd be better on a 2nd team to me, in the Williams/Harden role, if he can improve his vision a bit. That way, he can be aggressive with the ball without having to be as concerned about guarding hotshot NBA wings or taking shots from his team's stars.
    I'd agree with this. Until he shows me he knows how to play off the ball, I think he's destined for a 2nd unit, lead guard role. And there's definitely a valuable place for that (see Jamal Crawford, Hawks). The problem is when you try to make that a part of the main offense (see Jamal Crawford, Bulls).

I don't have much doubt he'll be able to create his own shot. It's the decision-making and other aspects of his game that I question.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'd agree with this. Until he shows me he knows how to play off the ball, I think he's destined for a 2nd unit, lead guard role. And there's definitely a valuable place for that (see Jamal Crawford, Hawks). The problem is when you try to make that a part of the main offense (see Jamal Crawford, Bulls).

I don't have much doubt he'll be able to create his own shot. It's the decision-making and other aspects of his game that I question.
    And you are right to question the other aspects of his game as he has room to improve in lots of areas. The good thing is that he is only 20 years old or so and there is a great possibility that he could diversify his skill set in the next few years. I expect that Austin will be a starter for most of his career.

Terry

Jason Terry is who comes to mind when I think of Rivers. Terry may have more PG in his game, but he is a guy that comes off the bench and scores with quickness and threes. I don't see why Rivers can't be that with a few years work.

Interesting analysis of three prospects' strengths and weaknesses, including Rivers. Note that the particular weakness spotlighted for Rivers is catch-and-shoot scoring, which is consistent with what we saw this season in terms of how infrequently he scored off of assists.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Interesting analysis of three prospects' strengths and weaknesses, including Rivers. Note that the particular weakness spotlighted for Rivers is catch-and-shoot scoring, which is consistent with what we saw this season in terms of how infrequently he scored off of assists.
    If Lillard is a "better version of Isaiah Thomas," then forget Anthony Davis. Or at least MKG at number two.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If Lillard is a "better version of Isaiah Thomas," then forget Anthony Davis. Or at least MKG at number two.
    I think they must mean the younger Isaiah Thomas, who currently plays for (I think) Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think they must mean the younger Isaiah Thomas, who currently plays for (I think) Sacramento.
    I think so. The older is also Isiah (without the first "a") if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I think so. The older is also Isiah (without the first "a") if I remember correctly.
    Well, that makes more sense. But the current I. Thomas is 5-9 and Lillard is 6-3, so the comparison seems to fall apart around then.

Could anyone else see him developing into a Russell Westbrook type of player? Both attack the basket really aggressively, and both are natural 2-guards making the transition to point. Westbrook has developed a mid-range pull-up jumper that Austin could really benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Could anyone else see him developing into a Russell Westbrook type of player? Both attack the basket really aggressively, and both are natural 2-guards making the transition to point. Westbrook has developed a mid-range pull-up jumper that Austin could really benefit from.
    Rivers lacks Westbrook's freakish athleticism, which makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    All due respect, AR blows the doors off IT the younger once the shoulders fill out.
    Last edited by weezie; 06-25-2012 at 10:55 PM.