Thread: Bobcats hire?

Bobcats hire?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobcats/story/11222033/

Can this really be true? I don't know anything about this fella. However, other than drafting Gerald, I see nothing in the Michael Jordan era that makes believe in MJ as an owner.

My take, (admittedly a biased view), Quin would have been a much better choice.

i have a buddy who played for him at Metro College and swears by him. One of those guys who is a strict disciplinarian but also can be a players coach if that makes any sense. Admittedly that works better on the college level than NBA but was told that AI had a ton of respect for him in Denver. He built a powerhouse from the ground up at Metro College so have to give him some credit there. My understanding is he's a pretty strong personality so a bit of an odd hire if MJ is looking for a "yes man". From my view i'd say it's a pretty good non-conventional hire.

The top comment to the ESPN story about Dunlap (and I wish I'd said it):

"Anytime you get a chance to sign an assistant coach from the 10th best Big East team in the conference you just have to do it."

Decisions like this one is the reason Stern didn't give the Bobcats the #1 pick.

I guess they didn't like the results of their last hall of fame coach, so they decided not to go with Jerry Sloan...

A lot of basketball journalists are saying it is a good hire and that he is a great teacher -- which would be useful for a Bobcats team that has a lot of youth.

I also enjoyed a tweet from my good buddy Marc Isenberg (who is a sports law/finances expert) when he wrote:
    Dunlap is an inspirational hire. As if Costanza advised MJ. "If every instinct u have is wrong, the opposite is right."
    -Jason "the word is that Jordan is strongly leaning toward Black Falcon with the #2 pick... so he's back to using his heart not his head" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well to anyone wondering the next time Wojo or Collins' names come up in a job search about their prospects of landing a job at a big league school need to only took at silliness like this. You can't get much bigger league than the NBA. (And it might not be silly, but on the face it's a head scratcher.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... -Jason "the word is that Jordan is strongly leaning toward Black Falcon with the #2 pick... so he's back to using his heart not his head" Evans
    I guess MJ is unwilling to be the one to pass on the next MJ

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I guess MJ is unwilling to be the one to pass on the next MJ
    If Jordan chose Harrison Barnes at #2 I would die of laughter...and mourn the death of NBA basketball in North Carolina. Say what you will about the George Shin and Hornets, but at least they were a competently run team.

Btw there are also rumor that Charlotte is considering rebranding the team.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    If Jordan chose Harrison Barnes at #2 I would die of laughter...and mourn the death of NBA basketball in North Carolina. Say what you will about the George Shin and Hornets, but at least they were a competently run team.

Btw there are also rumor that Charlotte is considering rebranding the team.
    Does "rebranding" involve a new coach, a new GM, new management, and around 9 new players? Cus changing "Bobcats" to "Lightening" is like changing Harrison Barnes to Black Falcon...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Does "rebranding" involve a new coach, a new GM, new management, and around 9 new players? Cus changing "Bobcats" to "Lightening" is like changing Harrison Barnes to Black Falcon...
    The rumor is they would rebrand as the "Charlotte Hornets," since the new New Orleans owner has said he plans to ditch the team name and rebrand. The new name, if nothing else, would be a positive PR move to a city who still has a bad taste in their mouths from the last group of owners.

But if they draft Barnes with the #2, they might as well rebrand themselves the keystone cops.
    "There can BE only one."