Thumbs up Duke Soccer Alums in Major League Soccer (MLS)

Hey All,

I am again trying to get into soccer but find it hard to build a rooting interest in a particular team.

I know Jay Heaps is still with the NE Revs, but I suspect there has to be several other alums in the league with the quality of the Duke soccer program.

Right??

Duke alum Jason Kreis is head coach of Real Salt Lake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Kreis

Other than that, I don't know of any MLS Dukies.

has it been so long? acc poy, 2006.

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/pl...atType=current

Thanks

Thanks. Too bad Blake is stuck with the Red Bulls.

Maybe he will get selected for San Diego.

Wow, I would have thought there was many more.

Quote Originally Posted by coblue View Post
    Wow, I would have thought there was many more.

Chris Loftus and Kyle Helton are on the NE Revolution roster.

Oh cool.

Can I be a fan of New England and not be a bandwagoner? lol

They are such a quality team.

Today's game against DC United

Quote Originally Posted by coblue View Post
    Oh cool.

Can I be a fan of New England and not be a bandwagoner? lol

They are such a quality team.
    I went to today's game/match at Gillette and was disappointed in New England. They didn't appear to be interested much in the game. Perhaps the game on Thursday just took too much out of them?

I missed the play where Jay got a yellow card but did see him on the field quite a bit.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 08-05-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Trying to tone down the negativity

Jordan Cila was a surprise for Colorado a few years ago, but I'm not sure if he's still playing. Ali Curtis was on DC United's starting squad back in 2003, but has since left soccer. Evan Whitfield was playing with the Chicago Fire for quite a while, but I haven't seen him lately.

Robbie Russell is still playing in Norway and is arguably the most successful of any Duke alumni not named Jay Heaps or Jason Kreis. He has ground out a very respectable European career.

I, too, am a little amazed we haven't had more success in MLS beyond Kreis and Heaps. Ditto for the national team. I think Ali probably could have been and Eddie Johnson-type forward (he had the speed, and won the Herman Trophy as college soccer's best player), but word is he could make a lot more money on Wall Street than he would in MLS.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of John Rennie, both in terms of raw coaching/personality, and in terms of developing players. I'm a huge Duke soccer fan, but really wish we could bring some of our regular-season success to the post-season. I'm starting to wonder if Rennie isn't a better recruiter than a game-coach.

Thanks Reisen!

So, the Revs remain kind to Duke, with Heaps as the coach for about a year now. He didn't get them to the playoffs, but let's see what he does next year.

Darrius Barnes also plays for the Revs, and has been a productive defender for several years now.

Kreis is still the coach at RSL, and has them in the playoffs again this year (as he has every year since winning the cup in 2009).

Andrew Wenger was the first pick last year by the Montreal Impact, and seems to have had an ok rookie season.

It looks like Cole Grossman is having some success with the Crew, as well.

Here's an article from the Chronicle last summer: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...impression-mls

No mention of Robbie Russell, who's playing for DC United this season after a few in Real Salt Lake. Still one of our more successful pros, along with Heaps and Kreis.

Here's a good article on him from earlier this year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...FTQ_story.html

Evan Whitfield is a commentator for Chicago Fire games.

It looks like after a stint on Wall Street, Ali Curtis has been working for MLS directly since this thread was last updated (2007).

Who else am I missing? I'm a little surprised it's not more than that. Kyle Helton is playing in Norway, and Loftus never really made it in MLS.

The ACC tournament is weekend after next in Maryland, but I'll be out of town...

Michael Videira is playing for the Chicago Fire.

Christian Ibeagha is playing for the Puerto Rico Islanders in the NASL.

Mike Grella is continuing his tour of League One in England with Scunny (no idea if the full name trips the swear filter).

Ken Lolla is still coaching at Louisville and Garth Lagerway is still Jason Kreis's GM at RSL.

Interesting to see the quote from five years ago on Coach Rennie, Reisen. What do you think of these first few years under Coach Kerr?

Grella plays for Scunthorpe United of League 1 in England

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Michael Videira is playing for the Chicago Fire.

Christian Ibeagha is playing for the Puerto Rico Islanders in the NASL.

Mike Grella is continuing his tour of League One in England with Scunny (no idea if the full name trips the swear filter).

Ken Lolla is still coaching at Louisville and Garth Lagerway is still Jason Kreis's GM at RSL.

Interesting to see the quote from five years ago on Coach Rennie, Reisen. What do you think of these first few years under Coach Kerr?
    Check out www.yanks-abroad.com for other information on players overseas.