Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    By the way, I took lessons from a year who came up with Jack and then quit before it all began because of a bad back. Rod used to tell me that the swing on long irons is 10 percent how you hold the stick and 90 percent how you aim. He said that what put Jack (that's what he called him, not me) from everybody else was how well he saw the line to the pine, or the place on the greeen that he was aiming, for his second shot, which on par fours was often a four iron. Different era, but Jack according to Rod was all about killing the rest of the field with his long iron (second shot) play.

Tiger, when he's playing greet does through in some real, real long iron shots real close. It would be interesting to know how someone not named Miller would compare the two in this part of their games.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No disagreements there at all. Holding a 36-year-old Woods to a standard of mid-20s-to-mid-30s Woods is just not fair. He can fall well short of that and still be the best in the world. Heck, in spite of being in a supposed downward spiral, he's still #4 in the world!
    Another factor is the development of the younger players on the tour. When Woods burst onto the scene, there was no one who played like him. Now he has been the golfing role model for every young player for 10-15 years. There are lots of players who train like Tiger and hit it a long way.

I am not sure, however, that there are any players who hit a 280-yard "stinger" off the tee with a two iron.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    By the way, I took lessons from a year who came up with Jack and then quit before it all began because of a bad back. Rod used to tell me that the swing on long irons is 10 percent how you hold the stick and 90 percent how you aim. He said that what put Jack (that's what he called him, not me) from everybody else was how well he saw the line to the pine, or the place on the greeen that he was aiming, for his second shot, which on par fours was often a four iron. Different era, but Jack according to Rod was all about killing the rest of the field with his long iron (second shot) play.

Tiger, when he's playing greet does through in some real, real long iron shots real close. It would be interesting to know how someone not named Miller would compare the two in this part of their games.
    You make a good point. Byron Nelson is often consdered the finest long iron player ever. His record speaks for itself. When he practiced, he would stake a sheet of newspaper on the ground and then pound two and three irons until he got them close to or on the paper. My dad was his contemporary and saw this often as Nelson was the pro at his club.

ATT National.

Tiger wins his third of the year. So far 1 more than anyone else this season. But more than anything, this was a great last round for the leaders. It was back and forth the whole way and both he and van Pelt made great shots and at the same time mistakes until the last mistake by van Pelt.

That was great golf.
    ~rthomas

Sooo, now Tiger has won for the third time this year, the only player to do so. He leads in FedEx Cup points. His chipping is once again a strength, and his putting was very good, and occasionally better than that. His long game was under control. If he's 80% of what he was, can we say he's back? I think so. And it wouldn't surprise me if he won a major or two in the coming weeks.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Tiger wins his third of the year. So far 1 more than anyone else this season. But more than anything, this was a great last round for the leaders. It was back and forth the whole way and both he and van Pelt made great shots and at the same time mistakes until the last mistake by van Pelt.

That was great golf.
    I didn't see a lick of golf, I was too busy at Newport watching bits and parts of America's Cup. I did manage to catch a view Van Pelt's scorecard and saw the 3 consecutive bogeys from 16 on. Was this more Bo losing it rather than Tiger winning it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I didn't see a lick of golf, I was too busy at Newport watching bits and parts of America's Cup. I did manage to catch a view Van Pelt's scorecard and saw the 3 consecutive bogeys from 16 on. Was this more Bo losing it rather than Tiger winning it?
    To a point, yes. Bo lost it on 16, a par 5, even though they were still tied after that hole. Tiger's approach shot (his 3rd) rolled over and well off the green to a difficult spot, advantage Bo. Bo promptly left his approach shot short, on the side hill of a trap in deep grass on a side slope. Bo hit first and fluffed his shot, again leaving it short of the green in 4, looking at a likely bogey. Tiger hit a very good 4th shot, close enough to have a reasonable run at par. Both just missed their par putts and made bogey, so they were still tied. Tiger parred in, hitting solid shots and having birdie putts on both holes, Bo bogeyed in, Tiger won. It's tough to beat Tiger when he's on and in his element on Sunday.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Was this more Bo losing it rather than Tiger winning it?
    What Woods did to win more than anything was that he made some great shots to save a bunch of pars. For example, this shot on 12 was really really good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...Shots/29852677
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    To a point, yes. Bo lost it on 16, a par 5, even though they were still tied after that hole. Tiger's approach shot (his 3rd) rolled over and well off the green to a difficult spot, advantage Bo. Bo promptly left his approach shot short, on the side hill of a trap in deep grass on a side slope. Bo hit first and fluffed his shot, again leaving it short of the green in 4, looking at a likely bogey. Tiger hit a very good 4th shot, close enough to have a reasonable run at par. Both just missed their par putts and made bogey, so they were still tied. Tiger parred in, hitting solid shots and having birdie putts on both holes, Bo bogeyed in, Tiger won. It's tough to beat Tiger when he's on and in his element on Sunday.
    Slight edit here (to illustrate exactly how bad Van Pelt's 16th was):

Tee shots: Van Pelt found the fairway, Tiger missed left (hitting a patron)
    2nd shots: Van Pelt landed in the rough just short of the green (and just out of the bunker); Tiger had to lay up about 50 yards short of the green

Here's where things got ugly. Tiger's 3rd shot sailed the green, as mentioned. Van Pelt, having seen that, only need his light chip to land comfortably on the green. At that point, he'd have a reasonable shot at birdie and a virtual lock for par. He'd likely take the hole. But his ball was lying in an awkward lie (feet in the sand, ball about knee height and deep in the rough). So his chip didn't even end up reaching the green, winding up in the rough again. His next shot (for birdie) went past the hole, leaving him a downhill par putt from the fringe. Tiger then chipped it onto the green (slightly farther out than Van Pelt) and two-putted for bogie. Van Pelt missed his downhill put and bogeyed as well.

Van Pelt was sitting just off the green in 2, with Tiger well off the green in 3. If he could have just put it in the center of the green (forget trying to get close) with that third shot, he'd have had an easy par and taken the lead. But that terrible 3rd shot (which left him with almost the same 4th shot) just broke him.

That being said, Tiger played four rounds of golf with only one bogey. And he made several big shots (including some long puts) to put pressure on. He earned that win.

Missed a whole lot of putts Right in the first round today. The price we pay for our victories, whatever the competition.

Missed a whole lot of putts Right in the first round today. The price we pay for our victories, whatever the competition.
    The putting and short game has been Woods' undoing over the last few years. When he's hit puts and handled his short game, he's won tournaments. As much as anything else, he has struggled mightily with those parts of his game the past few years.

When Woods was at his best, he was still wildly inconsistent off the tee. But where he beat everybody was on his approach shots and on the green. Nobody was better at getting it close (even from the rough or from another fairway) than Woods. And when he was on the green (or near it), nobody was better at hitting big chips/putts.

The price we pay for our victories, whatever the competition.
    What doe this mean? or have to do with missing putts to the right? Just curious.
    ~rthomas