Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coach McNally resigns as head coach of Duke baseball team

After seven seasons and just one ACC Tourney appearance, Duke alum and head baseball coach Sean McNally has resigned.

“I would like to thank Duke University and Duke Athletics for the amazing opportunity to have served as the head baseball coach at my alma mater for the last seven years. I am very proud of all that we have accomplished on the field, in the classroom, and in the community during my tenure. The effort to become a consistent winning baseball program in Atlantic Coast Conference play has been exhausting and the results have been disappointing. I am looking forward to spending more time with my family and seeking out a new professional challenge going forward. My biggest thank you goes to all of my players for their hard work and incredible effort. I will miss the daily interactions with the players and participating in their personal and athletic development the most.”
    More information from GoDuke here.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 05-30-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Corrected NCAA vs ACC Tourney appearance

I had the opportunity to learn and to play for Coach Mac at a camp in the summer of '08. I really liked the brand of baseball Coach Mac was promoting and the pitching and defense first mentality. If I remember correctly, in 2009, 3B Ryan McCurdy made one error all season: in the ACC tournament.

I remember back in 2009 when Duke was one win away from playing for the ACC Championship, there was a level of energy that was really fun to watch. They would show clips of the team waiting for the game to finish before them with their rally caps on (I believe they needed UNC who was playing before them to lose to have a chance of playing for the title). Things just never really took off from there. I'll attribute that to solid recruits/juniors being snatched up by the draft!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    After seven seasons and just one NCAA appearance, Duke alum and head baseball coach Sean McNally has resigned.

More information from GoDuke here.
    I don't believe Duke ever made the NCAA Tourny during his tenure.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    I had the opportunity to learn and to play for Coach Mac at a camp in the summer of '08. I really liked the brand of baseball Coach Mac was promoting and the pitching and defense first mentality. If I remember correctly, in 2009, 3B Ryan McCurdy made one error all season: in the ACC tournament.

I remember back in 2009 when Duke was one win away from playing for the ACC Championship, there was a level of energy that was really fun to watch. They would show clips of the team waiting for the game to finish before them with their rally caps on (I believe they needed UNC who was playing before them to lose to have a chance of playing for the title). Things just never really took off from there. I'll attribute that to solid recruits/juniors being snatched up by the draft!
    Agreed. I'm sorry it didn't work out for Sean - he is a class act and a good fit for Duke. But with that said, the last few years have been boo awful. A change needed to be made. Best of luck to Sean in all yor future endeavors.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I don't believe Duke ever made the NCAA Tourny during his tenure.
    Yup, that should say ACC Tourney. They made it once a couple years ago.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Terry Rooney of UCF is ranked again, as is the coach at Dallas Baptist. ECU is 33rd. Plenty of coaches would be big improvements for Duke, just move down the NCAA rankings of good young coaches at non-BCS schools that improved bad programs. AD White better not hire another inexperienced or unproven guy who hasn't won big as a HC before.

Quote Originally Posted by laxbluedevil View Post
    Terry Rooney of UCF is ranked again, as is the coach at Dallas Baptist. ECU is 33rd. Plenty of coaches would be big improvements for Duke, just move down the NCAA rankings of good young coaches at non-BCS schools that improved bad programs. AD White better not hire another inexperienced or unproven guy who hasn't won big as a HC before.
    Yeah because Kevin White's last hire in baseball was so terrible.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Who has Kevin White hired?

Serious question. Cut was Aleva, I'm thinking that McCallie and Danowski were as well but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yup, that should say ACC Tourney. They made it once a couple years ago.
    You're of course correct. I'm very sorry about that. #wishfulthinking

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I think Coach McNally deserves credit for pulling Duke baseball out of the huge hole it was in. The hole may have been deeper than the one the football team was in. The program appears to be in much better shape than it was when he took over. No steriods et al, and at least competitive on the field.

I'm not surprised at the news, but sorry it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Who has Kevin White hired?

Serious question. Cut was Aleva, I'm thinking that McCallie and Danowski were as well but not sure.
    He just hired the new wrestling coach, and he has hired a field hockey coach (the former HC from Louisville).

There are probably others but I'm drawing a blank.

I didnt know Duke hired a new wrestling coach, I'm sure 99% of Dukies had no idea as well. But White just promoted an assistant from the Duke team that just finished 0-5 in the ACC, 3-10 overall. So the unfortunate Duke tradition of hiring cheap unproven coaches like Franks, Roof, and McNally is continuing. That should never happen with any Duke sport, even the least significant or successful. Just go down the list of NCAA rankings to find young coaches at non-BCS schools for which Duke would be a step up, not going to bother researching in depth since the position's been filled, but Cornell, Kent State, Lehigh, Binghamton, Edinboro, Hofstra, Old Dominion, are all ranked top 25 wrestling.

The new wrestling hire is almost as bad as replacing the #1 recruiter in the nation in womens basketball, Trisha Stafford Odom, who went to UNC to bring in the #1 recruiting class in the nation in the best recruiting day of all time, with someone who has zero coaching experience just because she played for Duke. So instead of landing the #1 player in the nation for 3 years straight, McCallie may be back to landing zero Mickey Ds again like in her first 20 years of coaching.

Duke baseball should look to the HC at UCF, Dallas Baptist, ECU, etc. Let's hope they dont hire Mcnally's assistant.

Duke needs a softball team, no excuse not to have one when all you need is one good pitcher to dominate, Duke could win big next season if they started a program with the right coach. What's Duke's excuse for not having a team when there are great teams at schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, UNC, UVA, UMD, GT, VT, NCSU, LA-Lafayette, Boston U, Syracuse, etc.?
    Last edited by laxbluedevil; 05-30-2012 at 11:39 PM.

I didnt know Duke hired a new wrestling coach, I'm sure 99% of Dukies had no idea as well. But White just promoted an assistant from the Duke team that just finished 0-5 in the ACC, 3-10 overall. So the unfortunate Duke tradition of hiring cheap unproven coaches like Franks, Roof, and McNally is continuing. That should never happen with any Duke sport, even the least significant or successful. Just go down the list of NCAA rankings to find young coaches at non-BCS schools for which Duke would be a step up, not going to bother researching in depth since the position's been filled, but Cornell, Kent State, Lehigh, Binghamton, Edinboro, Hofstra, Old Dominion, are all ranked top 25 wrestling.

The new wrestling hire is almost as bad as replacing the #1 recruiter in the nation in womens basketball, Trisha Stafford Odom, who went to UNC to bring in the #1 recruiting class in the nation in the best recruiting day of all time, with someone who has zero coaching experience just because she played for Duke. So instead of landing the #1 player in the nation for 3 years straight, McCallie may be back to landing zero Mickey Ds again like in her first 20 years of coaching.

Duke baseball should look to the HC at UCF, Dallas Baptist, ECU, etc. Let's hope they dont hire Mcnally's assistant.

Duke needs a softball team, no excuse not to have one when all you need is one good pitcher to dominate, Duke could win big next season if they started a program with the right coach. What's Duke's excuse for not having a team when there are great teams at schools like Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, UNC, UVA, UMD, GT, VT, NCSU, LA-Lafayette, Boston U, Syracuse, etc.?
    You didn't follow wrestling, but you're sure the new coach is a bad hire?

Duke has a number of good coaches, and that certainly includes Joanne McCallie. Duke also has a number of very good teams who compete for ACC and national championships in a variety of sports. Scholarship funding continues to be a challenge for sports like wrestling and track, and is a consideration for whether to start a women's softball team.

All in all, I think Duke does a great job in athletics, and is trying hard to improve in sports like football and baseball. Sorry you're so unhappy with the state of affairs.
    Last edited by roywhite; 05-30-2012 at 11:53 PM.

This will sound outrageous, but why would you leave Dallas Baptist (for example) to coach Duke? I bet the pay isn't that much more. DBU has skins on the wall (Duke doesn't) and there are plenty of regional programs with better resources always looking to upgrade. Hell, if Augie doesn't make the tourney next year at UT, he is on the hot seat.

Duke Baseball is in the same position as Duke Football. It needs a grassroots, committed leader whose in game tactics can help mask the systematic deficiencies of the program. It is really hard to do in baseball. Maybe harder than football unless you have 2-3 MLB prospects on the staff. We had 1 to 2 this year.

How did we let Trisha Stafford Odom get away, and to UNC of all places? Did we just not offer enough compensation? Kevin White is not looking very good right now.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    How did we let Trisha Stafford Odom get away, and to UNC of all places? Did we just not offer enough compensation? Kevin White is not looking very good right now.
    In her case I don't think it had anything to do about money, but about relationships. I doubt very much that KW played a part in her decision one way or the other. You can get some past insight here.
    http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...-bolts-to-unc/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Other cheap unproven coaches previously hired: Michael William Krzyzewski, Dan Brooks, Steven Orr Spurrier, Gail Goestenkors.

Once again, certain posters are running another thread totally.off the rails.

My point was that White never hired a baseball coach before yet there were complaints. I believe he has only hired Pam Bustin, O.D. Vincent and our new and apparently maligned above wrestling coach.

And an A.D. has very little involvement in the comings and goings of assistants.

P.S. I look forward to posters calling out White for allowing Wojo to be big man coach...sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In her case I don't think it had anything to do about money, but about relationships. I doubt very much that KW played a part in her decision one way or the other. You can get some past insight here.
    http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...-bolts-to-unc/
    Yeah, it's hard for me to judge an AD based on who voluntarily leaves unless there is a clear public rift (a la Maryland).

To msduke's point, the coach that wil get Duke Baseball out of the doldrums will very likely be a young up and comer that will get an ambivalent response upon hire. While the power conferences still generally rule the roost, baseball is even flatter than basketball when it comes to mid majors and lower being able to compete for championships (Dallas Baptist, Cal St. Long Beach, etc.) Duke isn't going to get a manager from one of those programs unless it shells out cash that's just not allocated for those purposes. McNally was a smart gamble that didn't quite work out. I thought it was a good hire.

Duke is regionally situated to have success (unlike, say, a Big Ten or Northeast school). Our facilities aren't going to draw anyone in, so we'll just need to strike gold with personality, player development and strategy and tactics. (I know, easier said than done). This can happen in the unlikeliest of places (e.g. Rice), so I hold out hope it can happen at Duke.

Who really wants this job?

Compare the stadiums below to Jack Coombs Field. Not included in the list are the beautiful parks within the ACC:

Rice's field
    Dallas Baptist's field
    ECU 's stadium
    UCF's Stadium
    UNCW's field

When Sean McNally took this job, every applicant said that the baseball facilities needed a complete overhaul. Seven years ago. Many targets for the job wouldn't even consider the position because of the perceived lack of commitment to the sport of baseball at Duke.

Duke will be hard pressed to find a better teacher of the game or someone who cares more about the university.

Yes, football has been hard to bring up to par at Duke, and facilities are part of that. But consider this: every football player at Duke is on a full scholarship to one of the top schools in the country. Every one of them. 4 times the number of starters needed on Saturdays. Baseball programs are allowed 11.7 scholarships. There are 10 starters every game in college baseball (including a DH). And usually each team will use 2 to 3 pitchers in any one game. The next day they will use another 2 to 3 pitchers. The next day at least one additional pitcher. Now that a full ride at Duke costs close to $70k per year, a half scholarship (crudely the average per player) means a family is paying $35k for their son to play baseball...in an embarrassing on-campus stadium or a minor league stadium well off campus. Which is the tougher sell? Football or baseball?

Until there is a major financial commitment to the program I don't see it getting much better. Maybe lightning in a bottle on occasion but not consistently competitive.

All this said, it is difficult to blame the current or former ADs for spending money elsewhere. The bucket of money is only so big. But I would really like to see an affluent alum choose the sport they played at Duke to support rather than basketball or tennis as examples.

I'd say McNally has brought some talent into this program...

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post

All this said, it is difficult to blame the current or former ADs for spending money elsewhere. The bucket of money is only so big. But I would really like to see an affluent alum choose the sport they played at Duke to support rather than basketball or tennis as examples.
    Operation Convince Marcus Stroman to Make a Sizable Donation to Duke Baseball now in effect!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to goduke.com, 14 players have been drafted under Coach Mac. This is not including incoming freshmen that were selected in the draft.
    Ben Grisz - Junior
    Dennis O'Grady - Senior
    Michael Ness - Senior (drafted in 09, returned for senior season)
    Jake Lemmerman - Junior
    Chris Manno - Senior (drafted in '09, returned for senior season)
    Jeremy Gould - Senior
    2009: 3rd in the ACC in players drafted this year
    Tim Sherlock - Senior
    Nate Freiman - Senior (drafted in 08, returned for senior season)
    Andrew Wolcott - Senior
    Matt Williams - Senior
    Alex Hassan - Junior
    Nate
    Jim Gallagher - Junior
    Brett Bartles - Junio
    Tony Bajoczky - Senior
    none
    -Also, the 2008 incoming class was ranked #25 by Baseball America.

Another side note, any Duke baseball fans remember Tony Bajoczky from a few years ago? He was used as a reliever for most of his career with ERA's at 5.31, 9.29 and 6.09, then in his senior season was moved to the rotation and posted a 9-3 record with a 3.22 ERA and was the ace of the staff. I loved that guy!

Sources: various goduke.com articles