Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Definitely had to be the NC game againts Arizona. The NC's in 91 and 92 were special of course, but the '01 championship will always mean more to me cuz I was a student at the time, knew a couple of the players, and watched the game in a dorm room on campus. When the final buzzer sounded, everyone just ran outside and swarmed the quad. My funniest memory of the night was the cops we ran into on our way to the quad. We had some "beverages" with us, and I was certain they were going to try and get us in trouble. Instead, they handed us a cup (they didn't want bottles in the celebration), asked us to put the bottle in the recycle bin, and said, "have fun".

UNC at Duke, February 28, 1981

In February 1982, UNC came to play at Duke on Dean Smith's 50th birthday. It was Coach K's first home game against Carolina.

With two seconds left in regulation, Sam Perkins made two free throws that put UNC up by two points. Duke inbounded to halfcourt and called timeout with one second left. On the inbounds play, Tom Emma (I think ... or was it Chip Engelland?) put the ball in to Gene Banks at the top of the key, who took a jump shot over Perkins' very long outstretched arms.

Cameron fell silent as all eyes followed every rotation of the ball through its arc from Tinkerbell's hands into the basket. After it went through the hoop, there was about two seconds of continued silence as everyone processed that unbelievable shot.

It tied the score, and Duke won, 66-65 in OT, giving K his first win over UNC.

I'll never forget the elation after seeing Banks' shot hit its mark.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

A number of Kentucky players had a similarly styled coiffure, with nary a hair out of place even in the 2nd half!
    But that Richie Farmer mustache! Not good. Can you stay, B-Movie star or worse?
    Last edited by -jk; 08-03-2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    In February 1982, UNC came to play at Duke on Dean Smith's 50th birthday. It was Coach K's first home game against Carolina.

With two seconds left in regulation, Sam Perkins made two free throws that put UNC up by two points. Duke inbounded to halfcourt and called timeout with one second left. On the inbounds play, Tom Emma (I think ... or was it Chip Engelland?) put the ball in to Gene Banks at the top of the key, who took a jump shot over Perkins' very long outstretched arms.
    Kenny Dennard made the inbounds pass to Banks (and the game was Feb. 28, 1981, not 1982).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Kenny Dennard made the inbounds pass to Banks (and the game was Feb. 28, 1981, not 1982).

Damn, how could I forget that???
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Damn, how could I forget that???
    Not all of the years are kind to us...

I just watched the Kentucky game and while it was more than a tap, it was barely more than a tap. On Timberlake (not justin, something like Aminu).

Source for my DVD said that if you look a couple plays earlier Laettner was thrown out of bounds on a KY offensive possession. I did notice him flying toward the basket support but never backed it up to see who did it or even if it was acting (unlikely but not impossible til I check). Anyway yeah, he was glad to have baited Laettner into doing something stupid.

There were some BAD mustaches on KY players. Martinez wasn't much better. Maybe they all wanted to look like Magnum, P.I.

But in 1991 and 1992 several other players, incl. some on Duke, styled themselves a bit like the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    There were some BAD mustaches on KY players. Martinez wasn't much better. Maybe they all wanted to look like Magnum, P.I.

But in 1991 and 1992 several other players, incl. some on Duke, styled themselves a bit like the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
    Not a great angle, but you can see the flat top.

http://employeecomedy.typepad.com/wishgranted.jpg

There are many, but...

The moment I fell in love with Duke basketball was in 1995. Jeff Capel from 35 feet. Vitale actually yelling the same thing I was: "OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!"

Isn't it great that there are so many great moments that we share that can be described with just a couple words and all true Devils know exactly what it means.

The Shot
    Battier tip-in
    Gone in 50 seconds
    Capel from 35
    41 on 11 shots

Hours of memories summed up in just a few words.

wish granted

I still have that SI. I think in a recent interview GHill said it was his worst haircut. I think he called it the "high fade" or something.

One guy on KY had a junior version of the Christopher Reid's fro (of Kid 'n Play; House Party, 1990; Class Act, 1992).

funky times...

Cool Biotch Slap

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    The moment I fell in love with Duke basketball was in 1995. Jeff Capel from 35 feet. Vitale actually yelling the same thing I was: "OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!"

Isn't it great that there are so many great moments that we share that can be described with just a couple words and all true Devils know exactly what it means.

The Shot
    Battier tip-in
    Gone in 50 seconds
    Capel from 35
    41 on 11 shots

Hours of memories summed up in just a few words.
    I call the Battier tip in the Battier Biotch Slap because it's the only time I have EVER seen a guy back hand tip a basketball into the basket.

VaDukie, thanks for this thread (I go with the 2001 ACC Tournament in Atlanta, too)

This “Duke Delight List” thread is wonderful, and it really has caused me to remember, in considerable depth, the 2001 ACC Tournament in Atlanta. Others have already provided their memories, but it clearly was the best Duke basketball I have ever been privileged to attend.

I was somehow able to get two seats and my son-in-law (also an alumni) and I attended every game, seated in the “rafters” within ten rows of the top of the Atlanta dome, and surrounded by other truly nice Dukies (by Saturday, you know the folks proximate to your seats). It was a marvelous four-days; even taking the subway in from the far north (we were staying in a Marriott at, if I recall the name properly, Lenox Square) was fun, as it filled with ACC fans wearing their school’s regalia and giving each other friendly grief.

As has already been commented on, the semi-final against Maryland was an epic struggle, again demonstrating the requirement for senior-driven floor leadership (an essential catalyst, I believe Duke’s team has greatly suffered without in several recent seasons). As tense as that game was, the final against UNC was an “end to end” pleasure, with the Tar Heels never really in the game (frankly, just the way I like it, notwithstanding all the fabulous “instant classics” we’ve had with UNC during the last decades).

It was a great ACC Tournament (and I certainly prefer the old, nine-school arrangement to the current twelve-school format)!

2006 ACC Championship Game. JJ's return.

Watching JJ struggle down the stretch in '06 as he chased all those records of immortality, with every team and every player giving him their best shots, gimmick defenses, and shoves and elbows, was unbelievably hard to deal with as a Duke fan. He was just so mentally and physically exhausted out there on the court every night. You could see it in eyes. He had carried us all year like a true champion, coming up bigger and bigger it seemed every single night. During that amazing stretch in late January and early February, JJ was simply incredible. It was one of the greatest stretches of basketball I have seen over the past twenty years.

Georgetown 41 PTS
    V. Tech 24 PTS
    Virginia 40 PTS
    Florida St. 36 PTS
    UNC 35 PTS
    Maryland 35 PTS

Those numbers still give me chills just looking at them. He was unstoppable during that time. You just knew the junk defenses were going to come though. It was only a matter of time before it happened. And it did. JJ got the run of the mill, really taking a beating every night out, and all the while trying to chase history with the entire nation watching his every move. He really struggled with it all there for awhile, before finally breaking out in the ACC title game.

After the terrible losses at FSU and to UNC in Cameron on Senior Night, I was really hoping JJ would break out with a Randolf Childress-like ACC Tournament. With the kind of year and career he had started out with, it was meant to happen that way, like a story-book ending. Only that story-book ending was nowhere in sight during the first two games of the tourney. JJ still couldn't find his shot and was still really struggling.

Going into the title game though, I had a feeling that would be it. JJ was going to go off and have one of his deliciously unstoppable runs. And did he ever. During that stretch in the second half, when JJ went off for three consecutive triples in a span of 75 seconds, the last of which he followed by running down the court with his arms raised to the cheers of the Coliseum, I was as happy as I have ever been as a Duke fan. I remember tears of joy running down my face when Mike Patrick screamed "You don't think JJ Redick is feeling it?" into the airwaves. JJ was back, and he wasn't going to be denied of his rightful ACC Championship. I think most Duke fans knew right then, after that third straight three swished cleanly through the net, that we were not going to lose that day. What memories.

The aura that JJ carried with him his final season in Durham was unbelievable. He was THE man; the most feared weapon in college basketball. That season, abliet that it ended in great sadness with the loss in the Sweet 16, is one ride that I will never forget. A truly magical year in my book, and one that I will hold dear to me as long as I live.
    Last edited by Cameron; 08-04-2007 at 04:53 PM.

One more note from the 2001 ACC Tournament -

Sunday morning my Dad and I walked to the Georgia Dome from our hotel - we were staying wherever the Iron Dukes were. On the way we stopped at a McDonalds dressed head to toe in Duke gear. We got our food and sat down to eat it as a Carolina family walked in. As they were ordering their food a woman turned to her husnabd with the "Honey, you think we'll win?"

He smugly turned to her and said. "No question. They got lucky in the Dome."

After they got up and left my Dad - Duke Divinity alum - looks at me and says "I want to kick their a**"

79-53. Mission Accomplished.

not the usual...

In 1984, I took my young son and wife to Mount Airy, NC, to watch a Blue/White scrimmage at North Surry High featuring a newly recruited Kevin Strickland. The up close and intimate view setting was delightful. The small gym put everybody right down on the court close enough to hear every grunt, see every mole and hair, feel the sweat slinging off their bodies when turning too quickly, and we won't discuss smells. This intimate setting solidified fandom in my young family that I already had.
    This is something I wish the coaching staff would return to doing. Especially in these times when the university should be heading toward positive public relations. Taking the freshly recruited local hero back to his old high school to put on an show for the folks who have been watching him over the time of his high school heydays has to be a positive impact for those locals. No matter where the player ends up at the next level, the majority of hometowners will pray for his success and Duke's fanbase is surely to be increased.

A close second has to be "The shot". I was at a party hosted by some friends. It seems like everybody there were Tar Heel people, standing around in conversation or dancing, but I kept my eyes glued to what was turning out to be the ultimate definition of the greatest tournament game ever. After Woods hit his prayer and the timeout was whistled, I had to call my home to either console my son or share the joy unbounded. I had idiots walking past me patting my back with jealous pride that we would end up losers. Some folks just don't realize what a grand difference 2.1 seconds can make. Our screams of wonder had to be heard throughout the entire telephone system. What a glorious night.