Albuquerque with kids

OK, DBR'ers. Thinking of taking the kids out West to see something different for a few days this summer. Son wants to see the four corners, daughter wants to see Carlsbad Caverns. ABQ is central. Any thoughts on things to see, or whether to avoid? Talking late July or early August, which has to be cooler and less humid than this part of the South.

All ideas or comments, positive or "heck no, don't do it" are appreciated.

-- OPK

Been out there a lot with and without kids. It's one of my favorite areas and Santa Fe is my favorite "restaurant" city in the world - amazing food, art, and fun. Get your kids to read a few Tony Hillerman novels and maybe the Monkey Wrench Gang for the four corners (depending on their age).

July and August will be hot.
    ~rthomas

That's both ends of the state, isn't it.

Humid no, hot yes.

Chaco Culture is definitely worth seeing. It is sort of close to the 4 Corners but is really not on any sort of beaten path, and all on dirt roads.

You are not too far from Mesa Verde, either.

If you're going through NM to get to the 4C it's a short side trip to Ship Rock (the geologic formation, not the town). You've probably seen pictures of it; cool to just check out, which is all you can do.

Closer to Carlsbad are Roswell and White Sands. Kids may get a kick out of seeing all the UFO stuff in Roswell, which they play up pretty well. They may find White Sands fun too, running up and down sand dunes.

All the good hiking is closer to Santa Fe and Taos, not to mention that slightly less square state to the north.

ABQ... I'm going with your "heck no, don't do it" option.

It was a huge yawn when I was there and everyone I know who's been* agrees.

*Unless they've been during the balloon festival that's there... then supposedly it's pretty decent. Otherwise, I repeat, heck no.

PS. Hot. Hot. Did I say hot?

Take the kids to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam instead, then head to Vegas.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I travel to Albuquerque frequently for business, and I haven't had much time to be a tourist. That being said, I also haven't seen much that makes we WANT to be a tourist in Albuquerque. I tend to agree with Sue71 that there isn't much there and I'd recommend other destinations in the Southwest.

That being said, here's a thread from a couple of years ago with some more Albuquerque/Santa Fe ideas: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...nd-Sante-Fe-NM
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

When I was young my family went to Santa Fe -- it was very nice! There are tons of great hiking and camping spots near Santa Fe. Definitely go see the cliff dwellings. Got to see the petrified trees. I was too young to really appreciate all the crafts and art and indian culture, but the cliff dwellings really stuck with me. Santa Fe also isn't far at all from ABQ, but much much nicer for tourists.

http://pasquals.com/The_Menus/Breakfast/index.html

Just thinking about Cafe Pasqual's makes my mouth water. Check out the breakfast menu.

If you decide on Santa Fe. Go ahead and stay on the square at La Fonda.

Also if you decide on Santa Fe. Be prepared to spend money. Santa Fe is not cheap. But it is awesome.
    ~rthomas

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    *Unless they've been during the balloon festival that's there... then supposedly it's pretty decent. Otherwise, I repeat, heck no.
    It's not quite that time of year, but as I understand, the balloon festival rightly takes in most of the tourist revenue for the town. It is, admittedly, really awesome, and I am sure it would be a total treat with the kids. Stuff yourself full of breakfast burritos.

Don't forget: it's a left in Albuquerque.

-jk

Thanks to all, very informative.

Looks like maybe what I should have said is: "Santa Fe with kids"

I'm looking for something these Southeast kids have rarely seen, in order to expand their horizons. Took them to Yellowstone/Tetons a few years ago and loved it. I think they may be too young for the Grand Canyon. Also, son is studying Navajo and wants to go to Four Corners. Not my first choice, but it's not all about me. ;>)

Santa Fe sounds rocking. I'm a foodie, so sounds top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Don't forget: it's a left in Albuquerque.

-jk
    "Hoboken?!? Ooooh, I'm dy-ing again!!!!"

Back when I first started traveling to the West I did New Mexico as two trips, in fact. In winter I flew into ELP and hit Big Bend, Guadalupe, Carlsbad and White Sands. In the fall I flew into ABQ and hit the northern stuff and the San Juan mountains of Colorado. There's not a whole lot in the middle of the state, unless you manage to visit the Trinity site on the one or two days a year it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Back when I first started traveling to the West I did New Mexico as two trips, in fact. In winter I flew into ELP and hit Big Bend, Guadalupe, Carlsbad and White Sands. In the fall I flew into ABQ and hit the northern stuff and the San Juan mountains of Colorado. There's not a whole lot in the middle of the state, unless you manage to visit the Trinity site on the one or two days a year it's open.
    When I was in 6th grade, we took a trip down to El Paso for some conference of my dad's, and did some touristing in the area. What sticks in my mind from that trip (too many) years ago? Playing in the dunes at White Sands, the cliff dwellings, and the street markets of Juarez. Something tells me, they'll enjoy whatever you take them to, since it'll be new & different. Have fun!

I assume you can't get out of the trip. New Mexico is one of those places that you really want to see, but when you leave, it's like "what was that?" The arts scene in Santa Fe is awesome, but kids probably aren't into that. In old town, there's the Rattlesnake museum, which I actually consider the highlight of my 2 days in Albequerque (though I didn't ride the gondola to the top of the cliffs).

For me, a geeky thing I like is "touching I-40" across the country. I try to do in every state for which it travels. I'm down to OK and Arkansas as the only 2 places I haven't done it, yet.

Thanks to all for the input, I think we're gonna base out of La Fonda Santa Fe for a stretch and explore. I appreciate the restaurant and other reviews as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks to all for the input, I think we're gonna base out of La Fonda Santa Fe for a stretch and explore. I appreciate the restaurant and other reviews as well.
    About 40 miles from Sante Fe is Bandelier National Monument (a few miles from Los Alamos). An easy hike to cliff dwellings and you can climb really really tall ladders up to some of them.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/new..._monument.html

La Fonda is a great choice. And another great place for food is the Coyote Cafe Cantina - it is the more casual, roof top part of the Coyote Cafe.

http://www.coyotecafe.com/cantina.htm
    ~rthomas

Way cool, thanks. Already looking forward to Pasqual's too.

Knew I could count on DBR, had a blast. Kids, too. Many thanks for the suggestions, all were great! -- OPK