Ridley Scott's Prometheus

After months of whispers and hints, the first real trailer for Prometheus was released a day or two ago:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prom...2012/trailers/

I read that Ridley Scott has insisted that it's not an Alien spinoff or prequel, but it does look like it's a story from the same universe. Very promising summer fare.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    My thoughts exactly, Oly. I see a LOT of "Alien" echoes in the trailer, including some of the H.R. Giger art design elements. If he's going to steal from his past, he picked a pretty good one, IMO.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I read that Ridley Scott has insisted that it's not an Alien spinoff or prequel, but it does look like it's a story from the same universe. Very promising summer fare.
    That is an old report. He has since admitted that it is a alien prequel, of sorts. It definitely takes place in "the alien universe" though we will not see any of the Xenomorphs that we know and love from the Alien films. Scott has said that the final few minutes of the movie will provide some definitive links to the Alien films. Insiders say we will develop an understanding of the "Space Jockey" from the first Alien film.

We also know it is connected to the Alien universe because it will feature connections to the Weyland corporation, which is the company that will go on to become the giant "bad-guy" company in the Alien films. In fact, as part of a viral marketing campaign, they have released an incredibly cool video from "Peter Weyland" talking about his vision for the future. Check it out... it rocks!

-Jason "dying to see this movie!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm dying to see this, also. While the TV ad released during the elite eight games underwhelmed me, the recent HD trailer was absolutely awesome, showcasing the movie's genre as being primarily Sci-Fi/horror. I'm excited about the cast - Charlize Theron (yumm), Michael Fassbender, and Idris Elba in particular. The concept of the movie, as well as the look and art design, look amazing. There's a great back-story to be told. I understand the production's desire to make sure this isn't marketed as an Alien prequel - but it is clearly a different story in the same universe and there is a heck of a story to be told here. This movie has moved up there with Dark Knight and Brave as my top 3 movies to see in the theater this summer (with Avengers being a very close fourth).

David

Another new trailer for Prometheus -- a fake Weyland Company commercial touting their humanoid robots:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prom...lers/11164096/

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    After months of whispers and hints, the first real trailer for Prometheus was released a day or two ago:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prom...2012/trailers/

Trailer looks fun. Looks pretty much like an Alien prequel to me. It's got the ship, the company, and a synthetic human. I think "Alien prequel" probably doesn't appeal much to the demographic that buys movies tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Trailer looks fun. Looks pretty much like an Alien prequel to me. It's got the ship, the company, and a synthetic human. I think "Alien prequel" probably doesn't appeal much to the demographic that buys movies tickets.
    My son informs me that Scott had differences with the studio that owns the Aliens franchise, he wanted another trilogy with "R" rating, the studio wanted one more with "PG". Scott has taken his universe to a new studio, but can't use "Aliens" as a trademark. There is also talk that Scott will have James Cameron do the middle of the Prometheus trilogy.

Anyone familiar with the production details enough to confirm - or to give me ammo to rebuke my son?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    My son informs me that Scott had differences with the studio that owns the Aliens franchise, he wanted another trilogy with "R" rating, the studio wanted one more with "PG". Scott has taken his universe to a new studio, but can't use "Aliens" as a trademark. There is also talk that Scott will have James Cameron do the middle of the Prometheus trilogy.

Anyone familiar with the production details enough to confirm - or to give me ammo to rebuke my son?
    Brandywine Production (the studio that owns the alien franchise) is involved in Prometheus, so no, that doesn't sound right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandywine_Productions

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

This thing is a trilogy?!?! Is that common knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    This thing is a trilogy?!?! Is that common knowledge?
    This is "info" discussed on the online gaming community - totally unreliable - but often ahead of the curve. This is why I asked for confirmation from more reliable sources.

i watched the "director's cut" of Alien last night...all the while thinking of how he will tie in this stuff...it could be awesome...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Over the weekend, they released a new trailer for Prometheus that seems to reveal a lot more about the plot than the previous ones.

It shows me the movie is going to be a lot more like Alien than Blade Runner. Seems like it will have a lot of space horror in it as opposed to just being sci-fi. I suppose we should have expected that seeing as it has "strands of Alien DNA" in it. That is not a bad thing, in my opinion, but it does change the potential audience for the film.

Toward the end of the trailer, there is a flash of the "Space Jockey," which is clearly a link to the Alien universe. There is also a shot of some dude's helmet melting into his face as well as a space worm burrowing into someone's eye... so watch the trailer with some caution if you are squeamish...

...and watch it with some delight if you enjoy that kind of stuff (a lot of us do!!).

-Jason "I'll be honest, this trailer makes me reconsider a bit of what I think about the boxoffice potential of this film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

i am freaking IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Me three. Love that Idris Elba is in the movie. He's a magnetic on-screen presence.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

promethus

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good news and bad news.

Good for those of us hoping to see a mature, complex science fiction film.

Bad news for those of us who projected Prometheus would be a top 5 box office movie. I don't expect that to happen now ... but I do have more confidence that it will be a better movie (and not a dumbed down cartoon).

I'm completely down with it being an R....i'm getting more and more hyped about it...

Getting Closer

This is looking to be better and better, every time a new trailer or new spot within a trailer is released. I can't wait to see this.

iMax should be hopping!!!