Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    "Upper Room" is a common term of Christianity that references Jesus' teachings to the Disciples as related in the Gospel of John. I'm not sure the name alone should indicate questionable academics but I have noticed that it is common for these basketball academies to adopt Christianity based names. Does anyone have an opinion regarding Christ School from whence the Plumlee boys hale?
    I get where you're going with the name thing, but it doesn't carry to Christ School.

Christ School is over 100 years old. Hoops is not a focus, though all students are required to participate in sports.

Not in the same league (figuratively anyway) as the Upper Room basketball factory.

(Disclaimer: my cousin has kids enrolled there, and some good friends went to school at their chief rival - Ashville - ages ago)

-jk

Upper Room, Word of God, Mt. Zion... there do seem to be a lot of basketball factories that adopt Christian names. Maybe it's an attempt to stave off allegations by making the accusers seem anti-religious?

(I have a similar theory of why UNC named their corrupt department "African American Studies," but that's another discussion entirely...)

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    "Upper Room" is a common term of Christianity that references Jesus' teachings to the Disciples as related in the Gospel of John. ... from whence the Plumlee boys hail?
    -- FYFY

I think you may be mistaken about "upper room". I recall it from Acts. Looking up in a concordance, it appears in the NT in Mark and Luke (once each), and several times in Acts (which is effectively Luke pt. 2). But not in John. Your broader point is quite correct, though - it's a common term.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Upper Room, Word of God, Mt. Zion... there do seem to be a lot of basketball factories that adopt Christian names. Maybe it's an attempt to stave off allegations by making the accusers seem anti-religious?

(I have a similar theory of why UNC named their corrupt department "African American Studies," but that's another discussion entirely...)
    I strongly doubt the latter was created with the intention of perpetrating academic fraud via the athletic program. As someone in another thread noted, it's a legitimate field of inquiry and scholarship, and if it does not operate as such at UNC, then so much the worse for UNC students.

I'm not so sure about the former, though ... did they have much operational history prior to becoming "basketball factories" as you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just to be clear, you are right -- we're dealing with two very different situations. In the Purvis case, Duke WAS interested, but voluntarily backed off the kid because of concerns about his academic situation. This is very much lik Eric Bledsoe in 2009 -- we were interested, took a look at his academic record and couldn't back out of the room fast enough. I don't think Purvis' case is that bad, but there were concerns that caused us to quit recruiting him.

I'm not as clear about the Muhammad case, except there were strong rumors after he committed to UCLA that he told friends that he had wanted to go to Duke, but there were reasons that he had to go to UCLA. Again, just rumors, but the rumors were that his father had reaped a large sum from adidas to deliver his son.

Now, those are just rumors, so take if FWIW. We'll let the NCAA investiogation play out.

But in Purvis' case, I'm glad we backed off the kid ... while in Muhammad's case, it's very possible that we didn't get him BECAUSE of irregularities .. ie, he or his family was paid to go elsewhere.
    At the time, I think folks were saying (or perhaps speculating) we backed off of Purvis because of the emergence of Sulaimon. Don't recall the academics justification. Was that published somewhere? Or just generally accepted? Just curious...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

I thought the previous story with Shabazz was that he had an uncle or family member hired by Adidas, and UCLA is an Adidas school, but that whole situation was already reviewed by the NCAA and he was cleared to go there. The recent investigation sounds like something totally new.

Also, as a separate question, UCLA claims they're holding him out of this exhibition trip until they know the results of the investigation. But if they're just exhibition games, why does it matter? If he winds up being declared ineligible, would they have to forfeit their exhibition wins, and if so, who cares?

I thought the previous story with Shabazz was that he had an uncle or family member hired by Adidas, and UCLA is an Adidas school, but that whole situation was already reviewed by the NCAA and he was cleared to go there. The recent investigation sounds like something totally new.

Also, as a separate question, UCLA claims they're holding him out of this exhibition trip until they know the results of the investigation. But if they're just exhibition games, why does it matter? If he winds up being declared ineligible, would they have to forfeit their exhibition wins, and if so, who cares?
    Pretty sure this issue about the financial advisors is not new. One, who I think lives or lived in North Carolina, paid for Shabazz to come visit him and unofficially visit Duke and UNC early on. The other one I think had some links to his non-school team but I can't really remember the details. Both were described as family friends by Shabazz's dad and the Muhammads denied that there was any sort of quid pro quo involved. I tried to research this in the Muhammad recruiting thread, where I think it was mentioned at one point, but I couldn't find it quickly and gave up.

Well, if he has not been cleared by the NCAA to be a member of the team, then playing him anyway would be a violation of NCAA rules. I would imagine that the penalty for knowingly playing a player who was not approved would be much worse than just forfeiting the games. I could see scholarship revocations, post-season bans, and fines being on the table for something as serious as thumbing your nose at the NCAA by playing an unapproved player.

-Jason "it would also speak toward a 'lack of institutional control' for a school to knowingly break rules like that" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

You know the old saying ... where there's smoke there's fire? What if the smoke is coming from the same person? Does it hold true?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/sp...29recruit.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/sp...25bledsoe.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sp...pagewanted=all
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/sp...3kentucky.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/sp...a-inquiry.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...caa/index.html

Notice a trend here? One reporter seems to be awfully concerned about UK.

first two articles were about Eric Bledsoe.... what Thamel fails to mention is UK didn't start recruiting him until late in his senior year and the coach at that time was Billy G. Bledsoe was a late bloomer and was not on alot of high major radars until his senior season. Calipari wasn't hired until April of Bledsoe's senior season.

Next 2 were about Enes Kanter, and heck yeah his family received money from the Pro club, that's how it works in Europe. Kanter's family kept records and even offered to pay it back, but the Pro club did not cooperate. It did not help UK that Kanter changed his commitment from Washington to UK as did Terrance Jones. (cough* Mark Emmert former Pres of Univ of Washington. Kanter never took any money personally, the money was funneled to his Dad, then his dad paid the expenses.

Next up Nerlens Noel! Noel is an elite recruit that reclassified. NCAA ALWAYS looks into those situations. Nerlens list was Syracuse, Georgetown, and UK. Where do you think Thamel went to school? Syracuse. Noel's AAU coach wanted Syracuse too, and that's where Thamel is getting his info from...

Andy Katz weighs in:
    http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/08...investigation/

The fact is - if you recruit elite high school talent you are taking a big risk. Your compliance department has to be very thorough to make sure the University does not get embarrassed. It's my opinion that most elite recruits could be ruled ineligible before colleges even start recruiting them. I don't think all of it is insidious either. AAU teams/coaches/players become very close because of the time spent together traveling. Are there leeches out there ready to befriend elite talent? ABSOLUTELY. There are also alot of other people in AAU that are actually looking out for the kids best interest (most of the kids are not elite).

One thing that drives me a little crazy is that message board fans act like they know what's going on in recruiting. We have no idea. Period.

btw- i have given up reading most message boards unless they have good posts and are well moderated. This one has always been a good message board. The occasional crack at opposing schools is perfectly normal. So, let's change the subject and all write Thamel a letter and tell him to leave UK alone and start turning his efforts to the UNC academic scandal

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I strongly doubt the latter was created with the intention of perpetrating academic fraud via the athletic program. As someone in another thread noted, it's a legitimate field of inquiry and scholarship, and if it does not operate as such at UNC, then so much the worse for UNC students.

I'm not so sure about the former, though ... did they have much operational history prior to becoming "basketball factories" as you put it?
    I suspect its a correlation-is-not-causation scenario. Most basketball (or more generally, sports) factories are private schools, and most private schools are religious.

Quote Originally Posted by mccollums View Post
    You know the old saying ... where there's smoke there's fire? What if the smoke is coming from the same person? Does it hold true?

... So, let's change the subject and all write Thamel a letter and tell him to leave UK alone and start turning his efforts to the UNC academic scandal
    Nah, let him follow his passion. Does anyone actually believe that calipari is clean?

Although worthy of its own thread, the newest CBS poll of 100 coaches is up, the dirtiest recruitment of players:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...of-past-decade

4 of the top 10 ended up with cal, and didn't include Noel: Davis, Wall, Rose, & Jones. (2 @ ucla - including the #1 dirty recruitment of Shabazz)

Do I smell smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by mccollums View Post
    One thing that drives me a little crazy is that message board fans act like they know what's going on in recruiting. We have no idea. Period.
    You'd be quite surprised who is on these boards...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    You'd be quite surprised who is on these boards...
    I hear ol' roy snoops around here to see who Coach K is interested in

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Nah, let him follow his passion. Does anyone actually believe that calipari is clean?

Although worthy of its own thread, the newest CBS poll of 100 coaches is up, the dirtiest recruitment of players:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...of-past-decade

4 of the top 10 ended up with cal, and didn't include Noel: Davis, Wall, Rose, & Jones. (2 @ ucla - including the #1 dirty recruitment of Shabazz)

Do I smell smoke?
    You might notice that Rodney Hood is on that list in the "Others receiving votes". Just saying that maybe some of it is perception. Unless you think Duke is recruiting on the dirty side?
    WWJDD?

I did see Hood on the list but assumed it was referring to his recruitment out of high school. Perhaps I assumed wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    You might notice that Rodney Hood is on that list in the "Others receiving votes". Just saying that maybe some of it is perception. Unless you think Duke is recruiting on the dirty side?
    I thought that was interesting too. Even though it was clearly referring to Mississippi State, who had an extremely dirty rep under Stansbury, any violations in that initial recruitment would still mean that Hood would be a potential liability for Duke, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I thought that was interesting too. Even though it was clearly referring to Mississippi State, who had an extremely dirty rep under Stansbury, any violations in that initial recruitment would still mean that Hood would be a potential liability for Duke, no?
    I am sure the votes were because of Hood's recruitment to Miss St. It was a recruiting question, not a transfer question.

THE REST OF THIS POST IS A PURE HYPOTHETICAL!!!

As for potential liability to Duke, if Hood were found to have gotten illegal benefits either to attend or once he was at Miss St, then it could mean that he would be declared ineligible to play basketball at Duke. Duke would have committed no wrongdoing, but they still could not use him. If he had already played in games for Duke, Duke could be forced to vacate the result of those games.

Of course, the above is true of any Duke player. There is little way to know what happened from other schools or other "agents" during the kid's career prior to them arriving at Duke. Corey Maggette taught us all we need to know about that. All you can hope, as a program, is that you get to know the kids before they arrive on campus and you try to make sure the kids you recruit (whether as high schoolers or via transfer) are good kids who know the rules and do not break them.

-Jason "again, the above in no way indicates a belief by me that there is anything wrong with Hood... in fact, I am a bit shocked to hear of the suspicions" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Noel cleared

Top big man recruit Nerlens Noel has been cleared by the NCAA to practice and play at Kentucky.

Note to mods: possibly change name of this thread now?