Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent G

G's defense was not the issue, nor was his offense. I agree that we tried to keep Seth, Dre and Austin on floor as much as possible and this meant limited minutes for G - which was short- sighted on the staff's part, IMHO. The two things we lacked this year were a 3 with size and athleticism, and he could have helped with both.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am very excited to see {g} develop his skills and to play a bigger role as he progresses. He is an important part of the puzzle going forward.
    {g} is hilarious. Nominated for standardization of nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    G's defense was not the issue, nor was his offense. I agree that we tried to keep Seth, Dre and Austin on floor as much as possible and this meant limited minutes for G - which was short- sighted on the staff's part, IMHO. The two things we lacked this year were a 3 with size and athleticism, and he could have helped with both.
    Good to know. Just curious--how did you come by this information?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, I'm puzzled by a few things here:
    Was there a reason you used the t-word in regards to Mike Gbinije's future?
    Did you watch Mike when he actually played and did he demonstrate that he was ready for more minutes and responsbility this past season?
    Also, what leads you to describe Alex Murphy as a true small forward?
    Am I the only one to think that an Academic All-ACC shows that he has settled in quite nicely to the Duke experience? Have we ever had a player transfer with such academic credentials?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Am I the only one to think that an Academic All-ACC shows that he has settled in quite nicely to the Duke experience? Have we ever had a player transfer with such academic credentials?

sagegrouse
    Was Crawford Palmer an Academic All-ACC?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    To respond to a couple things:

-I don't think Ryan Kelly is at all an analogous situation, considering that, despite coming in as a five star recruit, his body wasn't ready for collegiate competition. Plus, there just weren't minutes to go around for him, considering we already had a stacked front court. But you can't tell me there wasn't 5-10 minutes a game for Gbinije to come in and play some defense, especially considering the way a guy like Seth faded down the stretch, possibly due to exhaustion.

-I used the "t-word" for a very specific reason, although the story behind it might be considered "rumor mongering" by the moderators, so I'm just going to stay away from that issue. But it seems to be a legitimate fear amongst many fans.

-Calling Murphy a "true" small forward might've been an exaggeration, but what I meant was simply that he's more of a small forward than any of the "third" guards we played this season, both offensively and defensively. And K has always said he views him as a perimeter Singler type.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    -I used the "t-word" for a very specific reason, although the story behind it might be considered "rumor mongering" by the moderators, so I'm just going to stay away from that issue. But it seems to be a legitimate fear amongst many fans.
    it's been a worry of mine since about halfway through the season, when is seemed clear that we needed someone with length and athleticism to defend on the perimeter; and we had someone like that, and we weren't using him. not that he was ready; i trust k on that. it was just hard not to imagine how he must have been feeling from where he sat.

To clear a few things up:

1) I gave him the Silent G nickname due to the pronunciation of his last name and his quiet effectiveness on the court.

2) He's not transferring.

3) Michael was sick to the point of needing IVs at times during the season. He missed practice time and clearly wasn't able to get fully up to speed as a freshman trying to adjust to being an elite level college basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Good to know. Just curious--how did you come by this information?
    No inside info here. But, his offense wasn't poor (40% from 3, and an impressive ability to get to the hoop), and in his limited action he was a good defender. Did you watch him when he played? He appeared no worse than our other options with a higher long-term upside.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

1) I gave him the Silent G nickname due to the pronunciation of his last name and his quiet effectiveness on the court.

3) Michael was sick to the point of needing IVs at times during the season. He missed practice time and clearly wasn't able to get fully up to speed as a freshman trying to adjust to being an elite level college basketball player.
    Thanks Adam. Bringing facts into the conversation always helps in these situations. Appreciate the real information.

I would also like to remind folks of the rumor mongering rule.

No inside info here. But, his offense wasn't poor (40% from 3, and an impressive ability to get to the hoop)...
    I disagree. His offense was poor. Or "raw" might be a better word. Most of the time he didn't seem to understand where he was supposed to be in the offensive scheme. And the 40% from three isn't so impressive when you only take 10 three point attempts and two of your four makes were in the same game.

...and in his limited action he was a good defender. Did you watch him when he played? He appeared no worse than our other options with a higher long-term upside.
    I did watch him when he played, and I wasn't so impressed with his defense. Moreover, "appeared no worse" isn't exactly a standard that would seem to mandate more minutes. People who wanted him to play more all point to our glaring need for a wing defender, but there's really no evidence that he could have adequately filled that need this season.

I really hope Mike works hard over the summer and puts it together. We have had players with great length and leaping ability that have made the jump and become important players for us, and we have had players with those attributes who never did (e.g., Tony Moore, Carmen Wallace, Olek Czyz). I'm still betting on Mike ending up on the good side of that ledger, but you never know until it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I disagree. His offense was poor. Or "raw" might be a better word. Most of the time he didn't seem to understand where he was supposed to be in the offensive scheme. And the 40% from three isn't so impressive when you only take 10 three point attempts and two of your four makes were in the same game.
    I agree that he looked lost sometimes on the court, but that doesn't really mean his offensive game is poor or raw just that he hadn't grasped the system yet...regardless of how many he took, he's still gotta hit doesn't he?!? He shot 60% overall

I did watch him when he played, and I wasn't so impressed with his defense. Moreover, "appeared no worse" isn't exactly a standard that would seem to mandate more minutes. People who wanted him to play more all point to our glaring need for a wing defender, but there's really no evidence that he could have adequately filled that need this season.
    I don't think we saw enough to say he couldn't have helped either...I definitely think it would've been a good move to give him some minutes and earn some valuable experience, I seriously doubt he could have been as bad as Dre over the last few weeks of the season for him not to grab a few of those minutes.

I really hope Mike works hard over the summer and puts it together. We have had players with great length and leaping ability that have made the jump and become important players for us, and we have had players with those attributes who never did (e.g., Tony Moore, Carmen Wallace, Olek Czyz). I'm still betting on Mike ending up on the good side of that ledger, but you never know until it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    regardless of how many he took, he's still gotta hit doesn't he?!?
    Miles Plumlee is a 100% career three-point shooter (1 for 1). That's marginally less meaningful than Mike Gbinije hitting 4 of 10, but I don't think we should extrapolate too much from either sample.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

Thanks for this insight. I recalled that he was unwell off and on but didn't know the severity nor the cumulative toll it took on his season. It's not hard to see how illness can profoundly impact an athlete's season like that, particularly when playing at such a high level of competition and also while already trying to climb the steep learning curve of freshman year.

The more I understand about his intrinsic athleticism and the contributions of illness in limiting his trajectory last season, the more I'm excited to see how he'll contribute next year, while hopefully maintaining good health. More than just the redshirts, its seems {g} may be, to some extent, a player we didn't truly get to see in earnest this past season.

I might be reading into this too much, but I sort of interpret Austin's comments to mean that Gbinije NEEDS to put in some work this summer in order to be able to contribute. In other words, he's not ready yet but could get there by working hard. He's got the physical tools and just needs to develop his skills.

I hope he does and gets to develop his all-around game. I'm not one of the people who seem to think that just plugging an "athlete" onto the floor would have improved our team this past year. We were plenty athletic compared to Lehigh, had a lot more alley-oop dunks than they did, but we still lost the game. Anyways, I think G will be a valuable asset next year, and his role could be anywhere from 5-10 minute bench player to solid rotation player, depending on how he develops.

Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Was Crawford Palmer an Academic All-ACC?
    No, he wasn't, although I understand he was a good student. I believe he had graduated from Duke before attending the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, where he played hoops for a year.

But I did find an Academic All-ACC who did transfer -- Mike Chappell.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I might be reading into this too much, but I sort of interpret Austin's comments to mean that Gbinije NEEDS to put in some work this summer in order to be able to contribute. In other words, he's not ready yet but could get there by working hard. He's got the physical tools and just needs to develop his skills.

I hope he does and gets to develop his all-around game. I'm not one of the people who seem to think that just plugging an "athlete" onto the floor would have improved our team this past year. We were plenty athletic compared to Lehigh, had a lot more alley-oop dunks than they did, but we still lost the game. Anyways, I think G will be a valuable asset next year, and his role could be anywhere from 5-10 minute bench player to solid rotation player, depending on how he develops.
    If you think about it though...all our athleticism was in our bigs, we didn't have super athletes at the perimeter spots...definitely weren't throwing any oops to those guys, not that its the end all be all but on the season we only had 5 dunks from our perimeter guys. Mike accounting for 2 of em in the few minutes he got...I think people are selling him short to think he couldn't have added some versatility to the team and that's fine, hopefully he comes in next year ready to prove people wrong...

I could be wrong and of course everyone needs to get better but I seriously don't think it was a lack of skill that kept him off the floor, everyone keeps mentioning how raw he looked and I don't get it, he's already more comfortable with the ball in his hands than Andre. To me he clearly had trouble picking up the system and wasn't sure were to be at all times while out there...I don't think that means his game isn't at this level yet.

You look at the type of plays we would want from a long athletic perimeter guy and he actually made those plays...ex. He was the only perimeter guy I remember scoring off a post up taking advantage of his smaller defender, crashing the board for a putback, cutting baseline on a back door cut for a dunk. Those are the kinds of plays I want out of my SF.

Now that you mention his name

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

But I did find an Academic All-ACC who did transfer -- Mike Chappell.

sage
    I always felt bad about Mike Chappell. For a while he was the best three point shooter on the team, but then he lost his touch and lost his job to CWell IIRC. He won a national championship at Michigan State, which I was glad to see at the time, but still hadn't found his shot. He had a long international career, so I guess it worked out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Thanks for this insight. I recalled that he was unwell off and on but didn't know the severity nor the cumulative toll it took on his season. It's not hard to see how illness can profoundly impact an athlete's season like that, particularly when playing at such a high level of competition and also while already trying to climb the steep learning curve of freshman year.

The more I understand about his intrinsic athleticism and the contributions of illness in limiting his trajectory last season, the more I'm excited to see how he'll contribute next year, while hopefully maintaining good health. More than just the redshirts, its seems {g} may be, to some extent, a player we didn't truly get to see in earnest this past season.
    Kinda reminds me of Gerald and his "asthma" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    If you think about it though...all our athleticism was in our bigs, we didn't have super athletes at the perimeter spots...definitely weren't throwing any oops to those guys, not that its the end all be all but on the season we only had 5 dunks from our perimeter guys. Mike accounting for 2 of em in the few minutes he got...I think people are selling him short to think he couldn't have added some versatility to the team and that's fine, hopefully he comes in next year ready to prove people wrong...

I could be wrong and of course everyone needs to get better but I seriously don't think it was a lack of skill that kept him off the floor, everyone keeps mentioning how raw he looked and I don't get it, he's already more comfortable with the ball in his hands than Andre. To me he clearly had trouble picking up the system and wasn't sure were to be at all times while out there...I don't think that means his game isn't at this level yet.

You look at the type of plays we would want from a long athletic perimeter guy and he actually made those plays...ex. He was the only perimeter guy I remember scoring off a post up taking advantage of his smaller defender, crashing the board for a putback, cutting baseline on a back door cut for a dunk. Those are the kinds of plays I want out of my SF.
    We've had a similar discussion with Quinn should have been getting more playing time than Tyler. That came down to the fact that Tyler played better D and communicated better on the court, two things which Coach K puts a great deal of stock in.

For Mike it came down to knowing the system and proving it in practice. He did look lost on the court at times. I mentioned this in my review of the WF game I attended. I made a concerted effort to watch for this, as I doubted what was being said about the kid, especially since we had such a glaring need for the tools he brought to the table, but sadly enough I saw it for myself.

Now you can mark me down as being an advocate of throwing a kid into the fire and letting him learn on the fly, which appears to be what you and several others were looking for especially considering our lack of a true SF, but that's just not the way K rolls. Based on the info we learned about Mike's medical woes this past season it's easy to see why he never quite got up to snuff.

I look forward to seeing Mike show us what he really has and I'm confident he'll show some serious improvement over last season.