Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 AP All-Americans (post-season, not pre-season!)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-26-12-16-35

1st Team
    Thomas Robinson (unanimous)
    Jared Sullinger (30 votes)
    Anthony Davis (63 votes)
    Draymond Green (53 votes)
    Doug McDermott (29 votes)

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

1st Team
    Anthony Davis (63 votes)
    So not only was Harrison Barnes on the pre-season list (again), but he also failed to make the post-season list (again) and he was only the 2nd best player on his high school team.

1st Team
    Anthony Davis (63 votes)
    Here's the rest -

2nd team
    Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
    Marcus Denmon, Missouri
    Tyler Zeller, North Carolina
    Jae Crowder, Marquette
    Kevin Jones, West Virginia

Honorable Mention
    Barnes
    Jeremy Lamb, UConn
    Jordan Taylor, Wisco

Anyone see the full vote totals anywhere? Why do they not do a 3rd team, or a full honorable mention team? I guess honorable mention means "received votes".

Who Was the Best Player in Ames?

1st Team
    Anthony Davis (63 votes)
    Please note that Harrison Barnes' high school teammate, Doug McDermott, was first team AP A-A, which HB himself was honorable mention. Zeller was 2nd team; no other ACC players on the first two teams.

sage

Third Team

Third Team:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - UK - 89 pts
    Tyshawn Taylor - Kansas - 83
    John Jenkins - Vanderbilt - 73
    Kendall Marshall - UNC - 49
    Damian Lillard - Weber St - 45

Marshall ahead of Barnes from the AP. I guess the national media knows a bit more of what they're talking about than the ACC voters.

Full list with vote totals:
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports...a-teams/408371

I see honorable mention as a long list...and looks like Mason and Austin got at least one vote.

Honorable Mention

Harrison Barnes, North Carolina; Will Barton, Memphis; Julian Boyd, LIU Brooklyn; Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso; De'Mon Brooks, Davidson.

Trey Burke, Michigan; Deonte Burton, Nevada; Torrey Craig, S.C.-Upstate; Paul Crosby, Mississippi Valley State; Matthew Dellavedova, Saint Mary's.

LaRon Dendy, Middle Tennessee; Matt Dickey, UNC Asheville; Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State; Jorge Gutierrez, California; John Henson, North Carolina.

Robbie Hummel, Purdue; Pierre Jackson, Baylor; Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette; Perry Jones III, Baylor; Kris Joseph, Syracuse.

Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut; Scott Machado, Iona; C.J. McCollum, Lehigh; Dominique Morrison, Oral Roberts; Mike Moser, UNLV.

Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure; Kyle O'Quinn, Norfolk State; Darryl Partin, Boston University; Ryan Pearson, George Mason; Mason Plumlee, Duke.

Patrick Richard, McNeese State; Austin Rivers, Duke; Zack Rosen, Pennsylvania; Mike Scott, Virginia; John Shurna, Northwestern.

Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin; Dion Waiters, Syracuse; Casper Ware, Long Beach State; Mitchell Watt, Buffalo; Royce White, Iowa State; Isaiah Wilkerson, NJIT; Nate Wolters, South Dakota State; Cody Zeller, Indiana

Wow

So not only was Harrison Barnes on the pre-season list (again), but he also failed to make the post-season list (again) and he was only the 2nd best player on his high school team.
    Jeez. Rough week for the pigeon. If the stories of his ego are true, this might even be more of a blow to him than his NCAA performance. I can't imagine that same ego allowing him to leave like this. The drama surrounding his decision and his future is really picking up steam.

Here's the rest -

2nd team
    Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
    Marcus Denmon, Missouri
    Tyler Zeller, North Carolina
    Jae Crowder, Marquette
    Kevin Jones, West Virginia

Honorable Mention
    Barnes
    Jeremy Lamb, UConn
    Jordan Taylor, Wisco

Anyone see the full vote totals anywhere? Why do they not do a 3rd team, or a full honorable mention team? I guess honorable mention means "received votes".
    It continues to astound me that Barnes makes these lists over his own teammates like Henson and Marshall, let alone Mike Scott and several others. Frankly I'm surprised that Jeremy Lamb made it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Please note that Harrison Barnes' high school teammate, Doug McDermott, was first team AP A-A, which HB himself was honorable mention. Zeller was 2nd team; no other ACC players on the first two teams.

sage

Wonder why we did not recruit him instead of/in additon to barnsie? (jk, sort of ;>) )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Third Team:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - UK - 89 pts
    Tyshawn Taylor - Kansas - 83
    John Jenkins - Vanderbilt - 73
    Kendall Marshall - UNC - 49
    Damian Lillard - Weber St - 45

Marshall ahead of Barnes from the AP. I guess the national media knows a bit more of what they're talking about than the ACC voters.

Full list with vote totals:
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports...a-teams/408371

I see honorable mention as a long list...and looks like Mason and Austin got at least one vote.
    That makes more sense. It looks like the honorable mentions were listed alphabetically. Yes, it does appear that the AP got it right.

1st Team
    Anthony Davis (63 votes)
    If Thomas Robinson was unanimous, how in the h was Anthony Davis not unanimous? Some voter must not want to acknowledge a one and done freshman.

fear of jay bilas makes folks vote for barnes...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    If Thomas Robinson was unanimous, how in the h was Anthony Davis not unanimous? Some voter must not want to acknowledge a one and done freshman.
    Seriously, whoever that is should have his/her press credentials revoked. He was far and away the best player in college basketball this year.

Let's not revel too much in this. Singler also failed to make the post-season team twice after being 1st team preseason. He was the leading vote-getter as a senior as well, and one of only two players who led in voting to not make a postseason team (Chris Porter is the other one I'm aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by Double DD View Post
    Let's not revel too much in this. Singler also failed to make the post-season team twice after being 1st team preseason. He was the leading vote-getter as a senior as well, and one of only two players who led in voting to not make a postseason team (Chris Porter is the other one I'm aware of).
    This is true but Kyle didn't discuss his "brand" when he walked onto campus. He also wasn't showered with praise from the media his freshman year like Barnes was.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    This is true but Kyle didn't discuss his "brand" when he walked onto campus. He also wasn't showered with praise from the media his freshman year like Barnes was.
    I seem to remember Kyle giving up his body on many occasions and coming away with "battle scars" to show for it. I don't think I saw that fearless play from one hb(brand). So I'll never mention Kyle with ball hog. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Seriously, whoever that is should have his/her press credentials revoked. He was far and away the best player in college basketball this year.
    Please explain "far and away". I have no problem with people who claim Davis to be POY, but Thomas Robinson and Draymond Green are quality candidates as well. Close enough that "far and away" is ridiculous. Robinson averages more points, rebounds, and assists (points and rebounds by quite a bit), but Davis blocks more shots. T-Rob also deals with double/triple teams nightly, while Davis rolls with 4 lottery picks.

If we're going to question Anthony Davis not being a unanimous selection in a ballot cast by nationwide voters, then maybe we seriously need to question our own All ACC Team, as well as ACC Player of the Year results, especially considering what we witnessed this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Please explain "far and away". I have no problem with people who claim Davis to be POY, but Thomas Robinson and Draymond Green are quality candidates as well. Close enough that "far and away" is ridiculous. Robinson averages more points, rebounds, and assists (points and rebounds by quite a bit), but Davis blocks more shots. T-Rob also deals with double/triple teams nightly, while Davis rolls with 4 lottery picks.
    I'd say Thomas Robinson is the best offensive player in the country. However, I think a lot people underestimate just how much Davis's presence affects the game on both ends. He's just incredible. As much as I like MKG and Jones, he is the reason UK is unbeatable when they come to play.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    It was two voters who go it wrong... Should've been 65 out of 65 instead 63 out of 65... Anyway to figure out who those two were?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I'd say Thomas Robinson is the best offensive player in the country. However, I think a lot people underestimate just how much Davis's presence affects the game on both ends. He's just incredible. As much as I like MKG and Jones, he is the reason UK is unbeatable when they come to play.
    I agree. I think Thomas Robinson is amazing. But Anthony Davis is just unbelievable on both ends of the floor. He completely changes the game when he's on the floor.

Both are truly special players. I'd just put Anthony Davis ever so slightly ahead in my opinion.