Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So NOW who do you want to win the NCAA Tournament

Yes, it took me this long to recover enough from the Friday night debacle to want to come on DBR, think about basketball, watch any basketball, etc.

But now it's Sunday, and my OTHER team is playing. For me, this season, it's pretty easy to pick up another team and cheer for them to win the tournament. I'm married to an NC State gal and, for the first time in a loooooooong time, they're still playing while Duke isn't. So, let's go State!

Hopefully I won't be having to find a new team to cheer for by mid-afternoon today...

Of course, I always have another team to cheer for, automatically: the University of ABC. The only thing worse than Duke getting bounced in the first round would be Carolina winning it. Ugh. The thought is too nauseating to bear.

So, for me, it is now, in this order:
    1) Go Pack!
    2) Go ABC!

Who are you all cheering for and why?

My cheering is ALWAYS ABC.

But now that Duke isnt in it, whats the point? I don't plan on watching anymore games.
    MAYBE if UNC is getting blown out I'll peek in at that, but otherwise... just not into it right now

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Yes, it took me this long to recover enough from the Friday night debacle to want to come on DBR, think about basketball, watch any basketball, etc.

But now it's Sunday, and my OTHER team is playing. For me, this season, it's pretty easy to pick up another team and cheer for them to win the tournament. I'm married to an NC State gal and, for the first time in a loooooooong time, they're still playing while Duke isn't. So, let's go State!

Hopefully I won't be having to find a new team to cheer for by mid-afternoon today...

Of course, I always have another team to cheer for, automatically: the University of ABC. The only thing worse than Duke getting bounced in the first round would be Carolina winning it. Ugh. The thought is too nauseating to bear.

So, for me, it is now, in this order:
    1) Go Pack!
    2) Go ABC!

Who are you all cheering for and why?
    Do not want UNC for the obvious reasons. I have been impressed with KY and believe they are the best team left. But I would pull for Marquette because they are hard-nosed and Mich State who have been an amazing post season team of late and deserve a little good fortune.

I can't believe that anyone would want UK with criminal Calipari at the helm. Yes I would rather see UNC than UK simply because Calipari is not worthy of being a head coach in the same ranks as Coach K. He has no integrity and has left every program he has taken to the Final 4 with huge blemish. I would hate to see UNC win another championship but I can't stomach that villain.

It's a long shot but being from Ohio, I am following my heart with the Buckeyes. I don't see them beating the Seminoles in the Round of 16 but if they get past them I think they are better than Syracuse without Fab Melo for the Final 4. But my bracket has Fla St in the Final 4.

There is a huge hole and little enjoyment watching the tournament after Duke's exit. It just isn't right.

ABC, all day long!

I like NcState, and would love for them to be the Cardiac Pack 2.0.

Kentucky and Unc have really really talented and athletic teams. Any Team that can take them out.

GO Creighton! I love their story and their Coach/son on the team. Beat Unc!

Besides Duke, my family always pulled for NcState, as we had family members that went to school there, also. I was given a NcState ballcap last summer, and I pulled it out, to wear Today! GO Pack! Beat Georgetown!

ABC! GTHC! GTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    I can't believe that anyone would want UK with criminal Calipari at the helm. Yes I would rather see UNC than UK simply because Calipari is not worthy of being a head coach in the same ranks as Coach K. He has no integrity and has left every program he has taken to the Final 4 with huge blemish. I would hate to see UNC win another championship but I can't stomach that villain.
    ABC means ABC. A UK title would be vacated in a few years anyway.

"A UK title would be vacated in a few years anyway."

LOL

for me, FSU or Marquette. i really like crowder.

I would like to see NC State, FloridaSt or ABC win it all! Really hard to watch now since the our guys are done.

I agree with Buckeye Devil regarding UNC and Kentucky. Of course, other rational folks have pointed out that any UK championships under Calipari would likely be vacated anyway.

State is my first choice, but I'd be happy pulling for FSU as well. If they perform up to the level of the ACC Tourney, they could seriously make some noise in the NCAA Tourney.

FSU or Kansas. I wouldn't mind Indiana winning either. I'd rather Kansas win than anyone else.
    I like pretty much everybody on the team, and I think they have a good chance of beating UNC. I don't
    really like Tyler Zeller, but his brother's pretty good, and Indiana did beat Kentucky and Ohio State this year.
    Hard for me to cheer against them.

Any acc team.the fans of state,unc and fsu that i go to games with root for duke.so i do the the same.i would prefer nc state of fsu.

Well, I will NEVER pull for UNC to win. EVER!!

But, the possibility of a UK, UNC final presents me with a real problem...

I think I would have to pull against UK, even though it would be easier on me personally if UK won that match up (would not have to listen to my son's yap for eternity), plus there are hardly any UK fans around here to drive me nuts...

Plus 2, you always have the satisfaction of knowing that Calipari's win will be vacated down the road...

Georgetown. They do things the right way.

1.NCSU(that would mean no Final 4 for HB & co. and the embaressment of losing to State, whom UNC fans treat like an owner treats their pet)
    2.FSU
    3.ABC

For the obvious reason that my only team is now out of it, my answer to the question as posed is, "one of the low seeds - Norfolk St., Lehigh, South Fla, St. Louis, or maybe Purdue [Robbie Hummel deserves a marvelous ending]."

Now, if I imagine myself to be an absolutely neutral fan who wants to see an excellent title game, featuring several excellent players at the top of their game, I then come at the issue from a somewhat different angle.

The UK team I saw last evening met a solid early 2d-half challenge from a pretty good Iowa St. team, and then demolished the Cyclones. Maybe it sounded more amazing than it was, given the excitement of all those UK fans in Louisville, but UK looked like it can and should get to the NC game. As I look at the South and West brackets, UK just looks like it should breeze through. I realize that may not happen, but on their "side" of the tourney bracket, they look far more dominant than any team on the other side, the teams in the E/MW.

I'm still inclined to think that UNC will get to the FF, even the NC game, but their putative excellence may be more putative than excellent. For I just can't tell whether Barnes is a superior player, or just a good one. Barnes looks like he must be a great player; he infrequently plays like one. And although Bullock and Hairston look like they have sweet 3-strokes, their numbers suggest that looks can be deceiving [not to mention that Wheat and/or ChicagoHeel have bemoaned the Heels' 3-pt-shortcomings].

Further, given the eye-test qualitative difference between UK and UNC, there's also an eye-test qualitative and quantitative difference between UK's side of the bracket [S/W] and UNC's side [E/MW], the latter [MW] of which has a number of teams that could stop the Heels from reaching the NC game: KU, G'town, and the Pack. The Pack, naturally, want payback, and their solid performance v. the Heels in the ACCT will surely have convinced them that they belong on the same court with the Heels, even with a healthy Henson.

If the Heels get by KU/G'town/NCSt in Elite Eight, their semifinal opponent would probably come from a solid foursome of OSU/'Cuse/FSU/Wisconsin.

In the role of the neutral fan, therefore, it's hard for me to avoid thinking about how exciting a NC game between an in-form UK and a battle-tested UNC should be. As an ACC-fan who has some reason to admire the play of NCSt and FSU, I'd be happy to see both of them in the FF. They've both shown some spunk, as have quite a few of the remaining teams.

Spunk does not describe the Heels. Potentially excellent, but more smugly confident than spunky. [Not sure "smug confidence" is fair or accurate; nor, if accurate, am I sure it's undeserved. But I'm pretty sure it's not smart.]

Not sure exactly how to describe UK with its A+ game. Maybe "unbeatable."

"Un-vacatable"? No clue.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    1.NCSU(that would mean no Final 4 for HB & co. and the embaressment of losing to State, whom UNC fans treat like an owner treats their pet)
    2.FSU
    3.ABC
    I agree with DlueDevilBrowns. State fans have suffered enough (even it they do blame the refs for every game they lose to Duke). FSU has played well of late and are and ACC teams. And ABC is just a given.

Aside from the obvious (ABC), I'm hoping Kansas wins. It's really hard to root against a team with Thomas Robinson on it.

What tournament?
    T-minus 18 days until Opening Day. Put me in, coach...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    The Pack, naturally, want payback, and their solid performance v. the Heels in the ACCT will surely have convinced them that they belong on the same court with the Heels, even with a healthy Henson.
    While I'm all for the Pack avenging 20 years of frustration at the hands of the Heels (not to mention a bit of come-uppance for the unbearable arrogance the Tarheel fanbase has toward all things NCSU), I think a healthy Henson makes the Heels a nightmare matchup for the Pack.

Specifically, without Henson, the Heels had no answer whatsoever for Leslie. Henson, on the other hand, is the PERFECT answer for Leslie.

Henson can shut down the Pack's best offensive weapon. That leaves you with Brown, who can get some points against Marshall; then Williams who has been hit and miss being defended by the taller Bullock; Wood, who hasn't yet shown that he can be an offensive force against Carolina even with Barnes' lackadaisical defense on him; and Howell contending with the much taller Zeller.

With Henson out, the only thing that stopped Leslie, or even slowed him down, was some of the most ridiculous officiating in recent memory. But, if the Heels and Pack meet in the regional final (and it's obviously WAYYYYY premature to think too hard about that), Henson will be back, and I think that gives the Heels a very decided advantage over State, even with the game being refereed outside of the state of North Carolina. As much as I'm a Pack fan (when they ain't playing Duke), the ABC side of me would much rather see the Heels facing Kansas in the regional finals.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    While I'm all for the Pack avenging 20 years of frustration at the hands of the Heels (not to mention a bit of come-uppance for the unbearable arrogance the Tarheel fanbase has toward all things NCSU), I think a healthy Henson makes the Heels a nightmare matchup for the Pack... As much as I'm a Pack fan (when they ain't playing Duke), the ABC side of me would much rather see the Heels facing Kansas in the regional finals.
    Good points throughout your post. I will maintain that, should the Pack beat G'town [Pack came back to lead just now at half...] and then, presumably, KU, they'd have reason to be confident that they can play the Heels even, and even with Henson.

My larger point is that, whereas the Heels really should have a fairly easy road to the Elite Eight, they'll finally have to play one of 3 teams that will be on a decided uptick. NCSt or G'town v. KU should be a good game. For that matter, maybe Purdue could upset KU. As you say, probably still some surprises to come.

Just curious, does ABC tend to make you prefer G'town over Pack?