Roku, Apple TV? Other?

With the new Apple TV coming out, I'm again considering ways to watch TV without using my laptop.

We do not have a TV, but do have an HD monitor with HDMI input that barely gets used. We watch TV through Hulu (occasionally), Netflix (DVDs and streaming), some Amazon Prime (signed up for free xmas shipping, and forgot to cancel) and iTunes. And Duke basketball when I borrow someone's ESPN3 password.

There doesn't appear to be a single device that allows us all of this media.

Do I go with Roku?
    Apple TV? (we each have old iphones, and may at some point upgrade, perhaps even get an iPad).
    A blueray player with streaming?
    I even considered XBOX, but we don't play video games, and I'm not excited about paying for another subscription to something.

And then there's the idea of an external tuner for the monitor. But I can't seem to find much info on that.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Any recommendations?

Roku will give you the most choices (all you listed except iTunes and ESPN3). I'd go with that. Also, for $50, why not?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Roku will give you the most choices (all you listed except iTunes and ESPN3). I'd go with that. Also, for $50, why not?
    and also, no DVDs. I'd also want HD (why not?) so that raised Roku to $69 (there's a sale right now). Still the cheapest option.

If discs are important, then go for a BR player with streaming apps, that's how I use Amazon. It's not as slick as the Roku, but it works great.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

I had an old appletv (mac mini form factor) and a roku.

Got rid of the Roku when I got a PS3, and the appletv I have is not needed due to airplay on my A/V receiver.

My two cents is unless you are fully end to end apple everywhere, the Roku is your best choice.

At the price point ($100 for apple, $60 and up for Roku), even if you feel like you make a wrong choice initially, it is an easy and cheap decision to go the other direction.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    There doesn't appear to be a single device that allows us all of this media.
    The only "single device" to handle everything would be a PC. It would also allow you to connect an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts, and you could store the content like a DVR. Consider building a media-only box - the processor and memory requirements are low, so they can be built for relatively cheap if you have the know-how. Check out tomshardware.com and do a search in the forums, you'll find some good ideas there.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The only "single device" to handle everything would be a PC. It would also allow you to connect an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts, and you could store the content like a DVR. Consider building a media-only box - the processor and memory requirements are low, so they can be built for relatively cheap if you have the know-how. Check out tomshardware.com and do a search in the forums, you'll find some good ideas there.
    I've thought about this, but last time I priced it out, it was a lot more than I was willing to pay.

I ended up getting a roku. So far it's working fine. I realized I can hook up the hdmi cord to my latop anyway, for when we want to watch DVDs and iTunes. But I like having a separate box from the laptop.

Now I need to get a router that the Roku can actually connect to. For some reason it won't connect to my d-link, but connects fine to my neighbor's unprotected network.