Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Game Time

7:15 Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    This is the only game that matters right now.. ok , I grant a little look ahead to X vs ND but beyond that really is pointless as (hopefuly !) a lot of upsets will occur and no tellin' who will be out there - IF we are even still in the thing. Go underdogs ! (escept when we play)
    on ething I like about Lehigh - they only play McCollum 32 minutes a game and Nutson(sp?) 25 mins a game. Nutson is the 2nd best score rebounder behind McCollum. Nutson get about 12pts and 6 boards a game. Despite the great production it seems the Lehigh coach is so deveoted to keeping fresh legs Nutson is only on the court 25 mins+. I like that. Great - take your best players out. Even McCollum - absolutely great - plays 32 minutes. I would have thought he would have played about 36. also mo

So the best players

1) McCollum number 3 - 6'3 guard junr; who rebounds wonderfully ()please BLOCK OUT) - 21 ppg , 6 rbg, 3.5 apg, 2.6 spg ! (impressive steals and rebounds , esp as a combo guard). This guy looks to be the real deal

2) Knutson number42 - 6'9 220 forward Junr ; 12 pts and 5 rpg

3) Greiner #20 - 6'7 210 F Junr ; 10 pts and 5 rpg

4) Mcknight #11 - 6'0" 170 G Sophmr ; with 8pts, 4 boards, about 4 assists per game. Looks like lead guard for team.

The Plumlees are the key to this game

...we need to do everything that everyone else has been saying (defense, shoot better, protect the ball, etc)

But the key to the game is the performance of Miles and Mason. Lehigh hasn't played anybody with the size/athleticism of the Plumlees - neither SJU or Michigan State have guys like that, and they certainly don't have those guys in the Patriot League.

So, yeah, they are tough, and provide a matchup issue for us on the perimeter. But our matchup advantage inside should be greater - and if we use that to control the boards and control the lane defensively, we should be fine (he says as he crosses his fingers)

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5998

The good news: we get Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg, with no Elmores to be found.

The bad news: our game immediately follows UNC's. This will be an away game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Our game and unc's are different sessions, actually. They have to be that way, so that each sessions winner's play in the round of 32.

Duke gets the downside of the pod system, really unique to our situation. For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans. We'd be far more advantaged having our first weekend anywhere outside of the state of North Carolina. Oh well, we won a natty in 2010 playing a string of away games.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Duke gets the downside of the pod system, really unique to our situation. For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans. We'd be far more advantaged having our first weekend anywhere outside of the state of North Carolina. Oh well, we won a natty in 2010 playing a string of away games.
    We just treat it as an ACC road game and we'll be just fine. Don't want the guys to get the idea we're playing at home. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Our game and unc's are different sessions, actually. They have to be that way, so that each sessions winner's play in the round of 32.
    That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00471DEC239062

That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00471DEC239062
    True but maybe they'll go out to dinner instead of watching Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    Phew. No conflict with the men's lax game against Carolina, which is at 5:00 Eastern.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans.
    Well, last time we played in a building filled with Carolina fans, it worked out OK

That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions:
    Ticketmaster may sell the entire region at once, but there are three separate tickets. Always have been. I have two separate tickets from last year's round of 64 games in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Ticketmaster may sell the entire region at once, but there are three separate tickets. Always have been. I have two separate tickets from last year's round of 64 games in Denver.
    This only applies to the Lehigh game, though. It is the Round of 32, where the quality of our opponent will be higher, that this could really be a factor, and for that round there is just one ticket to both games.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    on ething I like about Lehigh - they only play McCollum 32 minutes a game and Nutson(sp?) 25 mins a game. Nutson is the 2nd best score rebounder behind McCollum. Nutson get about 12pts and 6 boards a game. Despite the great production it seems the Lehigh coach is so deveoted to keeping fresh legs Nutson is only on the court 25 mins+. I like that. Great - take your best players out. Even McCollum - absolutely great - plays 32 minutes. I would have thought he would have played about 36. also mo

So the best players

1) McCollum number 3 - 6'3 guard junr; who rebounds wonderfully ()please BLOCK OUT) - 21 ppg , 6 rbg, 3.5 apg, 2.6 spg ! (impressive steals and rebounds , esp as a combo guard). This guy looks to be the real deal

2) Knutson number42 - 6'9 220 forward Junr ; 12 pts and 5 rpg

3) Greiner #20 - 6'7 210 F Junr ; 10 pts and 5 rpg

4) Mcknight #11 - 6'0" 170 G Sophmr ; with 8pts, 4 boards, about 4 assists per game. Looks like lead guard for team.
    addition: Lehigh looks like they steal the ball a lot / they usually end up on the + side of the turnover battle... but aren't too good on the boards. As an example, 6'3" McCollum is about their best rebounder .. sounds like a smaller "usual" Duke team - stealing a lot of balls, creating turnovers to negate a rebound disadvantage. They shoot the three well too.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Maybe this was the more appropriate place to ask this (but I'm not sure how to delete my post in the other thread). Anyone have any idea when we'll find out the game time? Thanks, and Go Duke!
    ESPN showing 7:15 ET Friday

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We just treat it as an ACC road game and we'll be just fine. Don't want the guys to get the idea we're playing at home. GoDuke!
    Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Well, last time we played in a building filled with Carolina fans, it worked out OK
    Just what I was thinking. And, just maybe, the unc fans making "noise" (as much as wine and cheese guys can) will only help Duke.

GO DUKE!!!!

Lehigh scouting report

Hey guys,
    Lehigh is sort of my back-up team I follow here on a local level. As many posters have noted, this will be a tough game should we not be ready at tip off on Friday. I have seen this team play both on TV and in person numerous times under Brett Reed, and hope I can help educate those that might not know the Mountain Hawks very well.

Lehigh has given Michigan State (L by 9), Iowa State (L by 11), and St. John's (L by 5) all great tests while on the road this season. They are currently playing their best basketball, and defeated Bucknell twice in Lewisburg to reach this point. I'm very surprised they ended up on the 15 line, because they made such an effort to test themselves outside the conference. They played the above teams I mentioned, and only took to their home floor 3 times in Nov/Dec. Lehigh also enters winners of 8 straight.

I agree with all of the posters mentioning the importance of a healthy RK and a strong showing by the Plumlees. Duke obviously has the height advantage, but Lehigh is very versatile. Several different players can shoot the ball from deep.

It should be noted Lehigh, with McCollum, loves to play an uptempo style. That could play into the hands of Duke, should the Devils be able to wear down and turn Lehigh over.

Starting Five
    G: Mackey McKnight 6'/170/Soph.
    Though just a sophomore, McKnight is a two-year starter for Lehigh. McKnight enters Friday averaging over 8 points, and just south of 4 assists per game. In the 3 games this year against power conference teams, he has struggled at times taking care of the ball, averaging 1 A to each TO. For the season he averages nearly 2 TO per game. McKnight is more dangerous off of the dribble which is important, because he wants to get to the line. This year McKnight shot 78.5% from the stripe.
    G: CJ McCollum 6'3''/190/Jr.
    This guy needs little introduction. Much of the story line around this game Friday will be how Duke defends CJ. I assume they will go with Rivers, anytime Austin is in the game. McCollum ranks as a future NBA Draft choice, and is two-time Patriot Lg POY. CJ was PL POY his freshman year, when they won the league and bowed out to Kansas. He had 26 in the game, despite going 7 of 21 shooting. McCollum is a tremendous creator for himself, using a deadly mid-range step-back shot to provide separation in contested shots. He will share PG responsibilities with McKnight. Draft Express ranks him right around Dre and Seth, but obviously since he is the focal point around his team he is much more of a finished product
    F: Jordan Hamilton 6'6''/205/Sr.
    Hamilton has been huge in Lehigh's improvement this season. Little used as a freshman and sophomore, Hamilton has started every game he's played this season. Averaging 6.6 ppg, he remains Lehigh's third or fourth option offensively. That being said, he shoots it 34% from deep, and 81% from the foul line.
    F: John Adams 6'6''/225/Sr.
    Adams spent much of his first three seasons in the dog house of Brett Reed. This year, he's turned that around. After being a reserve the first 2/3 of the year, Adams became a starter on Feb. 11. In the eight games he's started, Lehigh is 8-0, and he's averaged 6.3 ppg/4 rpg/.391 3PT%. He is an undersized 4, which has led him to find foul trouble. Michigan St. was able to foul him out in 13 minutes back in December.
    F: Gabe Knutson 6'9''/220/Jr.
    Knutson really turned up his play in the Patriot Lg. final vs. Bucknell. In the game he went for 23 points, including a huge made 3-pointer. He is very skilled, albeit against other mid-major teams, in isolation situations in the post. Knutson, who is a lefty, shoots it 77% for his career at the foul line.

Key Reserves
    G: BJ Bailey 6'3''/185/Soph.
    Bailey's season stats are about as deceiving as you'll find. After spending a long period of time battling post concussion syndrome, Bailey played just 45 minutes until Feb. 11. Similar to Adams, that's when Lehigh really stepped up. The Boston University-transfer averaged 8 ppg/3 rpg/.691 FG%/.750 3pt%/23 mpg. for Lehigh during the Patriot Lg. tourney.
    F: Holden Greiner 6'7'/210/Jr.
    Greiner started at the 4 for Lehigh all year until an ankle injury sidelined him on Feb. 11, making room for Adams in the lineup. For the season, Greiner has averaged 10 ppg and 5 rpg. The move to the bench as you would imagine, has limited his opportunities. In 7 games as a reserve, he's scored in double figures just once. A 44% field goal shooter for the year, Hamilton has shot 35% off the bench. The Traverse City, Michigan-native had his best scoring performance during his homecoming at Michigan St., when he had 24 points.
    F: Justin Maneri 6'8''/240/Sr.
    Maneri comes off of the bench as an energy type for Lehigh. He could be pivotal in this game however, should Duke get Knutson into early foul trouble. However, Maneri can find foul trouble as well. Michigan St. held him scoreless in 9 minutes, and had him pick-up 4 fouls. St. John's kept him to 2 points in 4 minutes, as again he had 4 fouls. Maneri is a tough kid that isn't afraid to mix it up inside. His older brother was a standout football player at Temple, and currently plays TE for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Hope this has helped. Should be an exciting one on Friday.

Go Duke!

Lehigh's coach has some N.C. ties:

"Prior to his time at Lehigh, Reed served as the top assistant coach at High Point University in North Carolina for two seasons. ...

Reed spent the 1999-2000 season as the Director of Basketball Operations at the University of North Carolina - Greensboro."

Hope he's not old buddies with the Greensboro clock operators or something ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Lehigh's coach has some N.C. ties:

"Prior to his time at Lehigh, Reed served as the top assistant coach at High Point University in North Carolina for two seasons. ...

Reed spent the 1999-2000 season as the Director of Basketball Operations at the University of North Carolina - Greensboro."

Hope he's not old buddies with the Greensboro clock operators or something ...
    Wasn't Coach G's husband the head coach there for a spell?

Anyway, should be a tough game. We need to get the business done.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Just what I was thinking. And, just maybe, the unc fans making "noise" (as much as wine and cheese guys can) will only help Duke.

GO DUKE!!!!
    This phenomenon gets overstated b/c people (myself included) have bad memories of the 2005 subregional in Charlotte. We were an unexpected participant there that year, though - UNC fans knew they were going and bought up all the tickets.

This year it's been pretty clear for quite awhile that we'd be in Greensboro along with UNC. We'll be well-represented. UNC fans outnumber us, of course, but we can fill up a gym.