Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. VaTech (59th ACC) Pre- and In-game thread

So we get VT tomorrow. They only go about 6+ deep unless Rankin returns to action tomorrow (I didn't catch why he was out). So tired legs could play a factor. Still, they have Green and Hudson and that makes them dangerous. Finney-Smith, Raines, and Eddie are capable bigs as well. They won't go down lightly, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So we get VT tomorrow. They only go about 6+ deep unless Rankin returns to action tomorrow (I didn't catch why he was out). So tired legs could play a factor. Still, they have Green and Hudson and that makes them dangerous. Finney-Smith, Raines, and Eddie are capable bigs as well. They won't go down lightly, that's for sure.

I think I heard them say that he hurt his knee in practice yesterday or sometime this week.

Well, the good news is, if you're not in ACC country, the preliminary round and the quarterfinals are on ESPNU.

The bad news is it's on ESPNU, so the SD looks like the inside of Methuselah's cataracts through a glass darkly.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Well, the good news is, if you're not in ACC country, the preliminary round and the quarterfinals are on ESPNU.

The bad news is it's on ESPNU, so the SD looks like the inside of Methuselah's cataracts through a glass darkly.
    That's spot on analysis. I have Dish Network who for some unknown reason refuse to offer ESPNU in HD (Despite my scathing email to them earlier in the season) The SD picture is horrid. I mean it's 2012 folks, and technology has advanced and all that. You can get HD on a freakin Android phone for the love of Jesus. Direct TV has ESPNU HD, as does Time Warner. Can't Dish just make nice and OFFER ESPNU IN FREAKIN HD LIKE THE REST OF THE FREE WORLD!!

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for allowing me my moment.

This will be a tough game. Hope we see the focused and ready Duke team that has shown up on neutral courts away from CIS all year. Tough defense and making shots. Mason needs to carry his good play from the 2nd half of UNC into this game and punish Tech inside. Guards just need to hit shots.

All ACC quarterfinals are on ESPN2.

ESPNU has the SEC during the day and the Big 12 in the evening.

Every time I watch one of those "best of" videos on Duke Blue Planet where they combine old highlights with recent ones, I marvel at how we ever got by without high definition. I used to think that recording a show on my VCR under the "high quality " mode produced a beautiful picture. Granted, my tv was smaller than my current computer monitor, but still... how quickly things change.

Vt proved in Cameron that they're capable of beating us. Would love to see the plumlees convert more on the inside as they have a size advantage.

Fortunately, we're playing away from Cameron so we should do better against VT this time out!

Moving on, it'll be very interesting to see the Plumlees paired at the 4-5 for most of the game. I would love to see them both playing aggressively and looking to punish VT on the boards and in the paint. We have an advantage there, and should be able to take advantage of it.

Focus, tough D, aggressive offense. Let's get the win.

First 8 Minutes

To state the obvious, we really need to come out and establish the post early and take Tech and their emotional last ditch effort to reach the tourny completely out of play. These tourny's have a way of providing fresh wind to struggling teams, but far to often, if you can jump on them early, they quickly whither and die. Establishing our game early with seperation will go a long way in keeping this from becoming a nail biter. The more we let them hang around, the harder it will be to pull away.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    That's spot on analysis. I have Dish Network who for some unknown reason refuse to offer ESPNU in HD (Despite my scathing email to them earlier in the season) The SD picture is horrid. I mean it's 2012 folks, and technology has advanced and all that. You can get HD on a freakin Android phone for the love of Jesus. Direct TV has ESPNU HD, as does Time Warner. Can't Dish just make nice and OFFER ESPNU IN FREAKIN HD LIKE THE REST OF THE FREE WORLD!!

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for allowing me my moment.

This will be a tough game. Hope we see the focused and ready Duke team that has shown up on neutral courts away from CIS all year. Tough defense and making shots. Mason needs to carry his good play from the 2nd half of UNC into this game and punish Tech inside. Guards just need to hit shots.
    The DirecTV crowd will happily share our access to ESPNUHD once we get ESPN3. I want my Duke football games, and not through pirated internet feeds! The struggle will continue until our demands our met!

Oh, and beat VPISU. Go Duke!

I think HD for its own sake is grossly overrated. I have a lot of SP VHS tapes of Met telecasts from the 1980s and 1990s, and they look fine on SD sets at my family's house. Often, over the holidays, I'll be at my folks' house or my MIL's house, and I'm watching football in SD on an SD set, and I don't really miss my flat panel. It's fine. We weren't suffering back then.

What looks like pure, unadulterated, soiled Tom Hanks buttocks is a live SD transmission on an HD set. That combo is a visual dirty diaper. And some are worse than others. I DVR everything on SD so as to save limited space. House MD is OK. But a game on ESPNU looks like you cut Milton's eyeballs out of his grave and stuck them in your eye sockets. On an HD set. Some channels look way worse. This is one.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    "Don't wake up in a roadside ditch."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Can't spork you right now, so I will just say here--very funny reference. Well done!

I think HD for its own sake is grossly overrated. I have a lot of SP VHS tapes of Met telecasts from the 1980s and 1990s, and they look fine on SD sets at my family's house. Often, over the holidays, I'll be at my folks' house or my MIL's house, and I'm watching football in SD on an SD set, and I don't really miss my flat panel. It's fine. We weren't suffering back then.

What looks like pure, unadulterated, soiled Tom Hanks buttocks is a live SD transmission on an HD set. That combo is a visual dirty diaper. And some are worse than others. I DVR everything on SD so as to save limited space. House MD is OK. But a game on ESPNU looks like you cut Milton's eyeballs out of his grave and stuck them in your eye sockets. On an HD set. Some channels look way worse. This is one.
    A lot depends on the up conversion. An SD signal processed well looks a whole lot better than one not up converted or processed poorly. My AV receiver does a nice job of making an SD signal decent.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    To state the obvious, we really need to come out and establish the post early and take Tech and their emotional last ditch effort to reach the tourny completely out of play. These tourny's have a way of providing fresh wind to struggling teams, but far to often, if you can jump on them early, they quickly whither and die. Establishing our game early with seperation will go a long way in keeping this from becoming a nail biter. The more we let them hang around, the harder it will be to pull away.
    Agree that the first 5-10 minutes will be really important. The teams that play thursday have a sort-of advantage in that they're warmed up coming into friday's game. Duke by contrast has had a long layoff and hasn't played in the building yet (except for practices). Plus we're adjusting to not having Ryan. If we come out of the gate lackadaisical and they get an early lead, that gives them confidence that they can hang with us (which they already know they can). And the longer the score stays close, the tighter we'll become.

Would love to get an early lead and be able to rotate our bench players in. Let fatigue get to them from having to play from behind. I don't think we'll ever be able to pull our starters completely, given our propensity for blowing leads, but if we can spread the playing time around then that will keep everybody fresh.

the SD looks like the inside of Methuselah's cataracts through a glass darkly.
    I am so tired of looking at Seth Greenberg,too. Just really ugh with him and his whole act.

I think we will be fine without Kelly. No doubt it hurts us, but it gives others an opportunity to step up and gain some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke31122 View Post
    I think we will be fine without Kelly. No doubt it hurts us, but it gives others an opportunity to step up and gain some experience.
    VT is down Rankin (I think) and Davila. That's a pretty shallo team. Good for our guys. Davila was a killa' in the first game (16pts and 7 boards or something I think) so they really are thin now.

I am so tired of looking at Seth Greenberg,too. Just really ugh with him and his whole act.

Yeah, Seth is first-team all ugly. Last time the game was close because we were tired and they weren't.
    This time it's the other way around. We should take care of business here. Time for Miles to really step it
    up with RK out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Awesome! I actually just chucked out loud at my desk. Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    Awesome! I actually just chucked out loud at my desk. Well done sir!
    Don't re-enact scenes from platoon with Charlie Sheen.

And for those that haven't seen it...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/aggregate/do...with-char-52hj