Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke v. VaTech (59th ACC) Pre- and In-game thread

So we get VT tomorrow. They only go about 6+ deep unless Rankin returns to action tomorrow (I didn't catch why he was out). So tired legs could play a factor. Still, they have Green and Hudson and that makes them dangerous. Finney-Smith, Raines, and Eddie are capable bigs as well. They won't go down lightly, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So we get VT tomorrow. They only go about 6+ deep unless Rankin returns to action tomorrow (I didn't catch why he was out). So tired legs could play a factor. Still, they have Green and Hudson and that makes them dangerous. Finney-Smith, Raines, and Eddie are capable bigs as well. They won't go down lightly, that's for sure.

I think I heard them say that he hurt his knee in practice yesterday or sometime this week.

Well, the good news is, if you're not in ACC country, the preliminary round and the quarterfinals are on ESPNU.

The bad news is it's on ESPNU, so the SD looks like the inside of Methuselah's cataracts through a glass darkly.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Well, the good news is, if you're not in ACC country, the preliminary round and the quarterfinals are on ESPNU.

The bad news is it's on ESPNU, so the SD looks like the inside of Methuselah's cataracts through a glass darkly.
    That's spot on analysis. I have Dish Network who for some unknown reason refuse to offer ESPNU in HD (Despite my scathing email to them earlier in the season) The SD picture is horrid. I mean it's 2012 folks, and technology has advanced and all that. You can get HD on a freakin Android phone for the love of Jesus. Direct TV has ESPNU HD, as does Time Warner. Can't Dish just make nice and OFFER ESPNU IN FREAKIN HD LIKE THE REST OF THE FREE WORLD!!

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for allowing me my moment.

This will be a tough game. Hope we see the focused and ready Duke team that has shown up on neutral courts away from CIS all year. Tough defense and making shots. Mason needs to carry his good play from the 2nd half of UNC into this game and punish Tech inside. Guards just need to hit shots.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    That's spot on analysis. I have Dish Network who for some unknown reason refuse to offer ESPNU in HD (Despite my scathing email to them earlier in the season) The SD picture is horrid. I mean it's 2012 folks, and technology has advanced and all that. You can get HD on a freakin Android phone for the love of Jesus. Direct TV has ESPNU HD, as does Time Warner. Can't Dish just make nice and OFFER ESPNU IN FREAKIN HD LIKE THE REST OF THE FREE WORLD!!

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Thanks for allowing me my moment.

This will be a tough game. Hope we see the focused and ready Duke team that has shown up on neutral courts away from CIS all year. Tough defense and making shots. Mason needs to carry his good play from the 2nd half of UNC into this game and punish Tech inside. Guards just need to hit shots.
    The DirecTV crowd will happily share our access to ESPNUHD once we get ESPN3. I want my Duke football games, and not through pirated internet feeds! The struggle will continue until our demands our met!

Oh, and beat VPISU. Go Duke!

I think HD for its own sake is grossly overrated. I have a lot of SP VHS tapes of Met telecasts from the 1980s and 1990s, and they look fine on SD sets at my family's house. Often, over the holidays, I'll be at my folks' house or my MIL's house, and I'm watching football in SD on an SD set, and I don't really miss my flat panel. It's fine. We weren't suffering back then.

What looks like pure, unadulterated, soiled Tom Hanks buttocks is a live SD transmission on an HD set. That combo is a visual dirty diaper. And some are worse than others. I DVR everything on SD so as to save limited space. House MD is OK. But a game on ESPNU looks like you cut Milton's eyeballs out of his grave and stuck them in your eye sockets. On an HD set. Some channels look way worse. This is one.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think HD for its own sake is grossly overrated. I have a lot of SP VHS tapes of Met telecasts from the 1980s and 1990s, and they look fine on SD sets at my family's house. Often, over the holidays, I'll be at my folks' house or my MIL's house, and I'm watching football in SD on an SD set, and I don't really miss my flat panel. It's fine. We weren't suffering back then.

What looks like pure, unadulterated, soiled Tom Hanks buttocks is a live SD transmission on an HD set. That combo is a visual dirty diaper. And some are worse than others. I DVR everything on SD so as to save limited space. House MD is OK. But a game on ESPNU looks like you cut Milton's eyeballs out of his grave and stuck them in your eye sockets. On an HD set. Some channels look way worse. This is one.
    A lot depends on the up conversion. An SD signal processed well looks a whole lot better than one not up converted or processed poorly. My AV receiver does a nice job of making an SD signal decent.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    "Don't wake up in a roadside ditch."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Can't spork you right now, so I will just say here--very funny reference. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Awesome! I actually just chucked out loud at my desk. Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    Don't re-enact scenes from platoon with Charlie Sheen.

And for those that haven't seen it...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/aggregate/do...with-char-52hj

I just heard this story about the G-Man and his love for Duke. He was playing in the pros when Duke played Kentucky in the 1992 NCAAT. You know the one that Christian was perfect from the floor. G-man was on the end of the bench and was not playing much for the NBA team he was on(maybe the sixers). They had been flashing the score on big scoreboard and Mike was not paying any attention to his game. He was concentrating on the Duke score. Well in the closing minutes of his game, the coach told him to go in. Mike said he didn't want to because his team was losing by 25 points. Of course he was more interested in the Duke game, but he finally went in. The score went up where Duke fell behind with 2.1 seconds left. Mike of course was really disappointed but it was not a final score. So as Mike's running up and down the court and looking at the scoreboard the final was posted with Duke winning. All of sudden Mike throws up both arms and let's out a yell. All this with his team getting beat by 27 points. John Feinstein told this story on Mad Dog radio on XM this morning. Of course I can't tell it like he did, but believe me it was funny. GoDuke!

i have no idea what to expect from this team today, or any other day...

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    So I'm hoping that's a typo and you actually chuckled at your desk. Otherwise, there must have been a bit of a mess to clean up.

Go duke !!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Let's go fellas.

Alright boys lets come out strong and play solid basketball.

Plumtrees!

Both are in, let's see how it goes.

Good start, but Hairston needs to not jack up 18 footers so early into the shot clock.