Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping Lin View Post
    Even without the warning, I'd say it's an appropriate punishment.

These are people's damn lives we're talking about here...and their abilities to function after their playing days are over.

My punishment would actually have included that the Saints automatically forfeit the next postseason game they appear in. Not only would it send the message, but it would reinforce the reason behind this message being sent (reduction of player wear and injuries).
    Isn't this what they hire these guys to do? I mean, hurt people, real bad. If that is not the case, how does one explain the outrageous number of serious injury in the game? After Goodell started to adopt rules to supposedly "protect" some players from hits that can produce concussions (running backs leading with their heads, receivers going over the middle and getting nailed in midback, excluded for some reason), the defenders of the game now say something like, "hey, the game is violent."

Interesting, Webster's definition--"1. swift and intense force: the violence of a storm. 2. rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence."

Blasting a coaching staff for having offerred defensive players a pittance to do that which everyone knows that they are getting paid to do, well, to me, it's just a game of hide the pea. Goodell is just trying to deflect attention from the human costs that the game inflicts on everyone who plays it as a matter of course. If there is a defensive player who doesn't understand which way the wind blows, and isn't reminded of it in one form or another in the locker room, in who gets drafted when, who gets cut and who gets to stay, in who gets paid how much, I would be shocked, and so would the rest of you.

Everyone enjoys the game, and so do I. I just can't abide it. Yesterday, on the second page of the Sports Section, there was a small untitled paragraph that listed what to me is an outrageous number of "pres season injuries" with which the Redskins have been hit. Shannahan was asked about this. His reply said it all. Something like, "Yes, we will miss those guys, partricularly the couple of four key players." Shannahan than offered that the hit the Redskins might have taken was buffered by guys coming back after having rehabbed over the past year after incurring such season ending injuries as torn ACLs.

Violant. What is it that we are saying to our kids about the games that we idolize, the games that they "play? This seems pretty close:

And now my friend we meet again and
    We shall see which one will bend
    Under the strain of death's golden eyes
    Which one of us shall win the prize
    To live and which one will die
    'Tis I, my friend, yes 'tis I
    To kill to live again and again
    To clutch the throat of sweet revenge
    For life is here only for the taking.

I wonder who will go down in tomorrow's games, and whether we can say, after X-Rays and/or an MRI, that's a relief, it's not season-ending, they have been cleared by the doctors to play next week, or in 2 or 3 weeks. No, I'm not talking about NFL games, I'm talking about the games our 12 year old kids are "playing."

Yeah, I know, many of you are probably saying, "there he goes again." My kids are grown. Yours?
    Last edited by greybeard; 09-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    After listening to this, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Greg Williams career in the NFL is over.

Jason "Wow!" Evans
    Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Agreed. I don't think we'll ever see him in the NFL again.
    In this case, "indefinitely" means less than 2 years. The St. Louis Rams plan to hire Gregg Williams as their Defensive Coordinator. (ESPN, Sporting News) As you can see below, the contract has yet to be signed.

ramscontract.jpg

I need to work in the NFL. Talk about job security! I can't believe the guy who gave us the bit of wisdom "Kill the head" is welcomed back. You know, when the NFL sent this guy up the river, I didn't realize it would be 700 miles northbound along the Mississippi.

Beating you to it, sagegrouse: when it comes to Gregg, the third G stands for gainfully employed.

I think Fisher has a warm place in his lower body clothing for this guy.

Watching the commentariat around here talk about the Rams is tragicomic. Every year in August, Randy Karriker is all like ELEVEN AND FIVE. And every year, well, Fisher has improved it from 2-14 to 7-9, lately. Now, I don't mind 7-9. I've followed Duke FB for a long time. Arizona, Seattle, and SF improved massively since 2010. They're in the Rams' way.

But I don't know, man. I'm not sure Mr Bounty can fix things. And it wasn't really the D that was the problem. Bradford's leg fell off. That was the problem.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine