Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke Basketball Recruiting Chart

Hey Blue Devils,

Great comeback the other day, alas NC State was on the wrong side of it. Anyway...

As some of you may remember that I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web, I asked some of you guys about it earlier, if you remember. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. Anyway, here is the Duke page, let me know if you see any corrections, or have any questions.

verbalcommits.com

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Philawolf View Post
    Hey Blue Devils,

Great comeback the other day, alas NC State was on the wrong side of it. Anyway...

As some of you may remember that I used to keep up a NC State Basketball Recruiting Chart over at PackPride which combined all the links and ratings from Scout, ESPN, and Rivals. It got difficult to maintain by hand, so I automated the process, and threw a basic UI together and put it up on the web, I asked some of you guys about it earlier, if you remember. I did the same for all the other schools while I was automating it. Anyway, here is the Duke page, let me know if you see any corrections, or have any questions.

verbalcommits.com
    Bookmarked. Many thanks.

Hey Blue Devils,

verbalcommits.com
    Great site. On the Recruits pages, what does the word "missing" mean in front of the school name, e.g., "Missing Duke"? Also, on those same pages are the list of schools in a particular order?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Great site. On the Recruits pages, what does the word "missing" mean in front of the school name, e.g., "Missing Duke"? Also, on those same pages are the list of schools in a particular order?
    Its actually the image of the Duke logo that is missing. I have a blank image that I was using locally, but it didn't upload to my provider. I'm working on permissions to use all the D1 school logos, but its a tedious process as I have to contact each school independently.

Wow! This is really slick. It took me all of 3 seconds to hit the bookmark button. Pretty hard to keep track of otherwise. Thank you.

Oh, and in terms of the order, they are sorted first by level of interest, and then by date the offer shows up on one of the sites (Rivals, ESPN, or Scout).

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Wow! This is really slick. It took me all of 3 seconds to hit the bookmark button. Pretty hard to keep track of otherwise. Thank you.
    I'm glad you like. Took way longer than I thought it would.

excellent stuff.

one tidbit, if you go just by consensus overall ranking, only 2 of our players hit the McD top 24: Austin and... Ryan.

Thank you

This is very useful and despite the variety of information presented, it's really simple to follow.

The NRs under Seth's name also serve as a reminder of the Linsanity of player rankings.

Thanks, Philawolf. Following recruiting has been a quite difficult task over the years. You have skillfully but it all together, and I have it bookmarked. Keep up the good work, and see if you can do something about bracketology while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    excellent stuff.

one tidbit, if you go just by consensus overall ranking, only 2 of our players hit the McD top 24: Austin and... Ryan.
    I'm a little confused in trying to figure out exactly what you are saying here, but in addition to Austin Rivers and Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee were honored as McDonald's All Americans. Rasheed Sulaimon will play in the 2012 game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm a little confused in trying to figure out exactly what you are saying here, but in addition to Austin Rivers and Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee were honored as McDonald's All Americans. Rasheed Sulaimon will play in the 2012 game.
    I think johnb is saying consensus top 24 players (i.e. using the same number as those selected as McDonald's All Americans). But it's a bit disingenuous to say these players hit "the McD top 24" since McD has an independent committee choosing the teams. If a player is selected, he is by definition hitting the "McD top 24." In any event, I simply read it as consensus top 24 players. McD doesn't select the top 24 always as some players are ineligible and other factors are at play (balancing positions, etc. there are only like 2 guards in the top 20 this year, for example, but the game can't only be PFs and Cs). In addition, Mason was barely out of range at 25th and his 55th ranking by Rivals skews that number tremendously. He was ranked 18th by Scout and 10th be ESPN. Andre also was ranked top 24 before he reclassified to the class of 2009. And likewise, Alex was top 20 before he reclassified as well. Duke has continued to pull in some high quality recruits even though the last few years it hasn't been consensus top 10 players as often.

Thanks for all the work putting this together Philawolf. It's definitely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think johnb is saying consensus top 24 players (i.e. using the same number as those selected as McDonald's All Americans). But it's a bit disingenuous to say these players hit "the McD top 24" since McD has an independent committee choosing the teams. If a player is selected, he is by definition hitting the "McD top 24." In any event, I simply read it as consensus top 24 players. McD doesn't select the top 24 always as some players are ineligible and other factors are at play (balancing positions, etc. there are only like 2 guards in the top 20 this year, for example, but the game can't only be PFs and Cs). In addition, Mason was barely out of range at 25th and his 55th ranking by Rivals skews that number tremendously. He was ranked 18th by Scout and 10th be ESPN. Andre also was ranked top 24 before he reclassified to the class of 2009. And likewise, Alex was top 20 before he reclassified as well. Duke has continued to pull in some high quality recruits even though the last few years it hasn't been consensus top 10 players as often.

Thanks for all the work putting this together Philawolf. It's definitely useful.
    You're quite welcome. Your point is well taken regarding the McD's, while I'm psyched that NC State has 3 McD's All-Americans, Tyler Lewis is a great point guard, but not one of the top 24 players in the country by any rankings I've seen.

BTW, some of you may have noticed that the 2012 rankings for ESPN and Scout are a bit out of date due to the Nerlens Noel reclassification and resulting re-rankings, but I was waiting for Rivals to update their rankings so that Noel wouldn't be ranked artificially low.

I believe I've addressed the major latency issues that were plaguing the site for the last couple of days, but let me know if you run into any issues with the site.

How do you scroll down past Baylor to see the rest of the schools?

Can you do anything about turning Shabazz Muhammad, Tony Parker, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle from green to red or blue?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    How do you scroll down past Baylor to see the rest of the schools?
    Once you click on the dropdown, you should be able to just type the name of the school, and then use the arrow buttons. There is also a small scroll bar on the right hand side. I'll work on making this more obvious. I'm also working on a page showing the schools by conference. I'll let you know when its up.

A word of caution on the teams outside of the ACC, I haven't done roster verifications for every school yet, so if you're looking at the current roster or scholarships available numbers, they could be off.

Can you do anything about turning Shabazz Muhammad, Tony Parker, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle from green to red or blue?
    Sure all you have to do is help turn Amile Jefferson from green to red or blue on the NC State page...

Sure all you have to do is help turn Amile Jefferson from green to red or blue on the NC State page...
    I bet you wish you could go ahead and turn Cody and Caleb Martin to Red as well huh?

I have a correction for you: Todd Zafirovski is on scholarship this year, so there are 5 (rather than 4) scholarships out to the junior class.

It's really interesting to see schools' different recruiting approaches reflected in the numbers. For example, Duke may have about 4 available scholarships for the 2013 class, but we have just one commit and only two scholarship offers outstanding to the two most highly sought after players in the class. Compare that with Arizona, which according to the site, will have 3 more spots to fill, has 23 outstanding offers. Even an elite program like Kansas appears to have 2 spots to fill and 16 outstanding offers.
    Last edited by gam7; 02-23-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K