Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Boston College Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke travels to the Conte Forum to take on the Boston College Eagles Sunday at 6 pm. TV coverage is on ESPNU with Jon Sciambi and Hubert Davis. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

This tidbit of information is interesting:

• The Blue Devils are currently 5-0 on the road in league play. Duke hasn’t won six straight ACC road games since the 2005-06 season.
    The Moderators desire to reiterate posters are not allowed to vent in this thread if the game isn't going our way. Multiple infractions were levied against posters in the NC State In-Game Thread with some folks earning a Holiday. Please review the posting guidelines.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-18-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Change Saturday to Sunday
    Bob Green

I think the game against the "Powders" is on Sunday.

I still shake my head over the fact that we have to fly to Boston for a conference game. Good grief.

Should be interesting to see if we come out focused. That seems to be easier on the road than home.

It would be really nice to see all the parts fall into place in this one. Time to start clicking!!!!!

If we get Seth taking charge (emerging), Austin willing to take the big shots (check) and continued good play from the bigs (check for the most part) we can get on a good roll as March approaches.

Go Duke!

Concur on date of game

Game is definitely Sunday.

I'm curious to see if we can shut down BC's offense. Pomeroy has BC at #263 or so on offense, but Duke's defense has been inconsistent, at best, as we all know.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out to me the game is on Sunday. It appears I am over anxious for the team to get back on the court.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks to everyone for pointing out to me the game is on Sunday. It appears I am over anxious for the team to get back on the court.
    You're still trying to get the whole "this side of the date line" thing down. ;>)

I'd bet that one of the reminders K and the staff have for the guys is: look what happened to f$u at BC. It could happen to us, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Maybe asking a dumb question, but I assume Seth's ankle didn't swell too bad after the State game and he's good to go?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe asking a dumb question, but I assume Seth's ankle didn't swell too bad after the State game and he's good to go?
    A newspaper article said he practiced Friday and should be good to go, barring an unexpected setback Saturday.

Questions, We Have Some Questions

Here are some musings for the BC game:

1. Will Duke pound it on the inside against the two freshmen big men, 6-8 Ryan Anderson and 7-0 Cliff Dennis?

2. Will K decree an up-tempo game, esp. on defense, against the much younger and undermanned Eagles? G Patrick Heckmann from Germany is apparently out, and BC thus has only a six-man rotation. 6-5 Matt Humphrey is the only junior playing, and 5-8 Gabe Moton is the only sophomore. All others seeing significant minutes are freshmen.

3. Will we see a Blue Devil team that is playing well from the beginning, given the lackluster play against State and Miami in the first half?

4. FSU lost because BC got hot from outside; will Duke try to deny the three and make the Eagles put the ball on the floor or pass to the inside?

Looking forward to a great game from Duke --

sagegrouse

Sports Bar in Cary

This may belong off topic but I'm trying to find a place to watch the game tomorrow, are there any good Duke-oriented sports bars in the Cary area (or any plain good sports bars)? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This may belong off topic but I'm trying to find a place to watch the game tomorrow, are there any good Duke-oriented sports bars in the Cary area (or any plain good sports bars)? Thanks in advance!
    Lots of good sports bars in the Triangle, and some even have Duke fans.

Carolina Ale House is IMO the best bet; there are several of them, including one in Cary.
    Good food, tons of TV's, good beer selections.

I'm curious as to the team's travel schedule for this game. Do they practice this aft, then fly up tonight, or fly up tomorrow morn?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I'm curious as to the team's travel schedule for this game. Do they practice this aft, then fly up tonight, or fly up tomorrow morn?
    In his post game interview after NCState, Coach K mentioned that they would fly up after practice on Saturday
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Viewing options?

This may not be the proper place to ask this but I know the game is on ESPNU and NOT on ESPN3. Does anyone have a link a la the Georgia Tech game earlier this year?

Thanks in advance.

While there is a lull in the action, here is a bit of revisionist history from an NC State thread on the subject of revisionist history and how NC State used to be a power under Valvano:

Don't forget that part about Coach K almost being fired after his first 5 seasons ... only a hunch by their AD to keep him saved the future! He was constantly compared by the press to V, who was having far better success at State.

My response

No, no, no, you're wrong.

Where do you get your information? The first season was 1980-81. We call that the 1981 season in basketball language. Duke had NIT team. K missed on several big recruits. The next season was dreadful, but Duke had Alarie, Dawkins and Bilas in the pipeline. More woes in 1983. Butters gives K an extension. Read that again: an extension.

Duke makes the NCAA field in 1984. Again in 1985 in K's fifth season. Now, please link to a source that tell us Butters was about to fire K.

There is nothing controversial about this, but it makes me wonder where people get their info.

Quote Originally Posted by mndukie View Post
    This may not be the proper place to ask this but I know the game is on ESPNU and NOT on ESPN3. Does anyone have a link a la the Georgia Tech game earlier this year?

Thanks in advance.
    It's on ESPN3 as well. Though ESPN doesn't always show it, every game on its networks is also available on ESPN3.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    It's on ESPN3 as well. Though ESPN doesn't always show it, every game on its networks is also available on ESPN3.
    Sort of. The ones not listed as "espn3" are online, but are limited to certain ISPs (Time Warner, Bright House and Verizon).

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    No, no, no, you're wrong.
    when I was a boy, Everything was right - sorry I cant help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    Sort of. The ones not listed as "espn3" are online, but are limited to certain ISPs (Time Warner, Bright House and Verizon).
    Exactly, and that is the difference between espn3 and "watchespn" which shows all games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN U (espn3 only shows some).