Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changes for watching the 2012 NCAA Tournament online

Yesterday, CBS/Turner announced some changes to the online viewing for this year's tourney that probably won't be terribly popular. I've read through several articles and think I have a clear understanding, but it seams needlessly complicated and it's going to confuse people.

-Changed the name to NCAA March Madness Live (formerly MMOD) and added a one time $3.99 fee for those who want to watch on Android or iOS devices
    -Free streaming on PCs is available for CBS games
    -Free streaming on PCs for games on Turner channels (TBS, TNT, TruTV) need to be authenticated. This basically means you have to have that channel as part of you pay TV lineup. This is part of their TV Anywhere initiative.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...-live-unveiled
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...dness-live-faq

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/more-...ehind-paywall/
    http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nament-online/

[EDIT] One thing I still haven't seen clearly addressed is if one can authenicate and watch on a mobile device for free. I don't think so, but the Turner product manager quoted in several articles keeps saying that the fee is there to push people to authenticate. We'll see.
    Last edited by HaveFunExpectToWin; 02-17-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: update
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Yesterday, CBS/Turner announced some changes to the online viewing for this year's tourney that probably won't be terribly popular. I've read through several articles and think I have a clear understanding, but it seams needlessly complicated and it's going to confuse people.

-Changed the name to NCAA March Madness Live (formerly MMOD) and added a one time $3.99 fee for those who want to watch on Android or iOS devices
    -Free streaming on PCs is available for CBS games
    -Free streaming on PCs for games on Turner channels (TBS, TNT, TruTV) need to be authenticated. This basically means you have to have that channel as part of you pay TV lineup. This is part of their TV Anywhere initiative.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...-live-unveiled
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...dness-live-faq

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/more-...ehind-paywall/
    http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nament-online/

[EDIT] One thing I still haven't seen clearly addressed is if one can authenicate and watch on a mobile device for free. I don't think so, but the Turner product manager quoted in several articles keeps saying that the fee is there to push people to authenticate. We'll see.
    Thanks for posting this.

I can't imagine paying to watch on my AT&T phone. I can barely get a connection to send texts, let alone stream a game.

Am I understanding this correctly? So, the games that are on CBS that everyone can watch even if all they have is rabbit ears on the tv, are available to watch online on their pc for free. The games that are only available through the cable networks that not everyone has, are not available to watch online.

So what is the purpose of streaming it online? Why would anyone want to watch it online when they could just watch it on the tv? The people that would watch it online because it's not on their tv, don't have access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    So what is the purpose of streaming it online? Why would anyone want to watch it online when they could just watch it on the tv? The people that would watch it online because it's not on their tv, don't have access to it.
    Because when I'm at work, I can't just watch it on the TV. But I can watch on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd1mbd1 View Post
    Because when I'm at work, I can't just watch it on the TV. But I can watch on my PC.
    Believe it or not, 2 years ago I was at a hotel in Denver, Colorado that had 70 channels but did NOT have CBS or ESPN. MMOD worked out perfectly for me to watch the Selection Show and the play-in games.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by mbd1mbd1 View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. Although for a lot of people, myself included, the cbs sites are all blocked on the company computers. Seems like a pretty small market that would use it.

From what I've read, you can indeed watch/authenticate on a phone or tablet IF your cable plan/provider has TruTV, TNT and TBS in your paid for tier. This will not cost you extra.

What I am wondering is if your cable provider has to provide an interface (like Time Warner does).
    WWJDD?

Okay, that makes sense. Although for a lot of people, myself included, the cbs sites are all blocked on the company computers. Seems like a pretty small market that would use it.
    The number of people who watch NCAA basketball games at work is not a small market! Just look at the loss in productivity numbers that have been published, haha. But I agree that those at home likely wouldn't use a computer if they're already subscribers to the networks. Some people, though, like to watch more than one game at once, so they can have their TV on one channel and be streaming another game on their computer.

This is similar to ESPN's model for their WatchESPN channel feeds (which are different than their individual game feeds). Basically they're losing money to people who are dropping their cable TV and only keeping high-speed internet. Simultaneously they're having to support huge amounts of bandwidth for all of this live streaming. So in order to protect their costs they're only making the premium content (in this case the cable channel feeds) available to people who are also paying for cable TV.

This is really unfortunately, I depend on these online feeds! I'd be curious to know how much revenue they generate from the commercials that are shown inside the online stream. Maybe it will eventually be enough to cover the costs of the stream.

If I read the second and third links correctly, even if you are not a paid TV subscriber you can still pay the $3.99 and access everything from both your mobile device AND your PC. I hope I read this correctly. That's not bad at all, four bucks to watch the whole tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    From what I've read, you can indeed watch/authenticate on a phone or tablet IF your cable plan/provider has TruTV, TNT and TBS in your paid for tier. This will not cost you extra.

What I am wondering is if your cable provider has to provide an interface (like Time Warner does).
    I know we have weeks before the tournament, but this is why it's going to confuse people. The more I've read, I'm thinking that the $3.99 is necessary if you want to watch on an iPad, iPhone, Android phone, or other mobile device.

And I use the online viewing to supplement my TV watching. I can watch one primary game and follow the other games happening at the same time. It's like my own little sports bar without the $5 beers.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Am I understanding this correctly? So, the games that are on CBS that everyone can watch even if all they have is rabbit ears on the tv, are available to watch online on their pc for free. The games that are only available through the cable networks that not everyone has, are not available to watch online.
    I don't think rabbit ears serve any purpose anymore since the move to all-digital, right? I'm getting old...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

And I use the online viewing to supplement my TV watching. I can watch one primary game and follow the other games happening at the same time. It's like my own little sports bar without the $5 beers.
    Same. I figure it doesn't really matter, to be honest. I'm ponying up the $4 if I have to. Of course, I'll be expecting better streaming quality with that, but I doubt that's happening.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I don't think rabbit ears serve any purpose anymore since the move to all-digital, right? I'm getting old...
    Rabbit ears don't work, but you can get cheap digital antennas that receive the same stations rabbit ears used to get . . . except you get it in high quality HD. My wife and I got rid of cable a while back. I stream all the Duke games on WatchESPN or, if it's on CBS, I watch it on the TV. Honestly, I don't miss cable one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I think you can still use rabbit ears. You just have to have a digital tv or a digital reciever to convert the signal. The signal is still picked up the same way as far as I know.

*I stand corrected. I have an antenna on the roof but apparently it is a digital antenna. I sometimes miss cable when the online stream isn't very good, but when I think of the $70/month I am saving I get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Rabbit ears don't work, but you can get cheap digital antennas that receive the same stations rabbit ears used to get . . . except you get it in high quality HD. My wife and I got rid of cable a while back. I stream all the Duke games on WatchESPN or, if it's on CBS, I watch it on the TV. Honestly, I don't miss cable one bit.
    A growing number of people don't own TVs. I'm one of those.

Isn't WatchESPN limited to people with subscriptions with participating cable providers?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    A growing number of people don't own TVs. I'm one of those.

Isn't WatchESPN limited to people with subscriptions with participating cable providers?
    Just the question I was going to ask--how can you get Watchespn if you don't have cable? I can't even get watchespn if I am not accessing the internet through my FIOS connection, because there is no way (at least that I know of) to authenticate from a different location.

Which raises a question about the tournament streaming--does anybody know if the authentication process will allow me to get games online if I'm not at home, and thus not accessing the internet through Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Just the question I was going to ask--how can you get Watchespn if you don't have cable? I can't even get watchespn if I am not accessing the internet through my FIOS connection, because there is no way (at least that I know of) to authenticate from a different location.

Which raises a question about the tournament streaming--does anybody know if the authentication process will allow me to get games online if I'm not at home, and thus not accessing the internet through Verizon?
    I have used WatchESPN on my iPad at my home (BrightHouse), my in-laws (Verizon) and my parents (Charter) without any issues. I had to authenticate the first time at home but have never had to re-authenticate since.

As for using WatchESPN without cable I'm stumped. I thought you needed a cable subscription.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I have used WatchESPN on my iPad at my home (BrightHouse), my in-laws (Verizon) and my parents (Charter) without any issues. I had to authenticate the first time at home but have never had to re-authenticate since.

As for using WatchESPN without cable I'm stumped. I thought you needed a cable subscription.
    For WatchESPN/ESPN3, you only need a broadband subscription. I was able to access it for the couple weeks I had internet but no cable...it's because I had an account with Comcast or RCN or FIOS or whatever my internet was running through. I know others that didn't have TV but, through their broadband provider, had ESPN3/WatchESPN.

Also, I know that TBS and TNT have iPhone apps where you can watch things on demand (their version of HBO GO)...I wonder if that's how you would be able to authenticate your subscription to watch the games for free on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I'm not sure if CBS has an app yet, but I imagine that either you'd authenticate through there or there will be a way on the new March Madness Live app to authenticate when it's released.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

WatchESPN

I have watch espn on my iPhone and did not have to authenticate at home. I just used my username and password to cable to authenticate. As for not having cable and still having acces to watch espn, I am not very sure of that. Would be interesting to know though.