Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 73, Maryland 55 Post-Game Thread

That's all I got to say. 22 rebounds.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    That's all I got to say. 22 rebounds.
    QFE. I'd also like to add that I'd love for this to be a Zoubekian coming out party for MP1. Stellar game for the senior co-captain.

Well, now, I already know who my MOTM is.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 73, Maryland 55 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    QFE. I'd also like to add that I'd love for this to be a Zoubekian coming out party for MP1. Stellar game for the senior co-captain.
    We can talk about this as a coming out party, but MP1 has been having a stellar season. If you look on KenPom, he's 99th in the country in Offensive Efficiency (of all players), 8th in Offensive Rebounding Rate, and 166th in Defensive Rebounding Rate. Much like 2010 Zoubek, he's been playing well all season, but nobody has been noticing quite as much as he's deserved in large part due to foul trouble and tendency to focus on the mistakes he has made. That being said, this game was spectacular, and it's good to see him get the recognition he deserves.

Way to wake up in the second half. Our bigs dominated.

Way to go, Miles!

And good games also from Mason and Seth Curry.

Thought our defense was strong throughout; offense, not sharp at times, but eventually got the job done.
    On to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Way to wake up in the second half. Our bigs dominated.
    Picked the right game to miss alot of close in shots and free throws. Can Miles keep it up - if so I see him with more minutes than Kelly most of rest of season.

Ummm, did Miles out rebound Maryland by himself??? 22 rebounds, that is sick.

Please keep it up Miles!! No more Houdini(sp) acts. Definitely the MOTM.

Another rough one from the charity stripe, but luckily we didn't really need them. Good defense from the boys and another nice game from Seth too. I really really enjoy when Seth is playing well because then ESPN will show his mom more. I know i know, maybe a little inappropriate, but i can't help it.

Well done boys!!!

After a sluggish start, the guys stepped it up. Especially Miles and Mason. Good game for Seth as well. Good shooting and some good passes. Austin played consistently through out. I agree with roywhite, the defense was pretty good in this game. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    We can talk about this as a coming out party, but MP1 has been having a stellar season. If you look on KenPom, he's 99th in the country in Offensive Efficiency (of all players), 8th in Offensive Rebounding Rate, and 166th in Defensive Rebounding Rate. Much like 2010 Zoubek, he's been playing well all season, but nobody has been noticing quite as much as he's deserved in large part due to foul trouble and tendency to focus on the mistakes he has made. That being said, this game was spectacular, and it's good to see him get the recognition he deserves.
    That is a fair point, o fellow chemistry alumnus. Miles has had several solid games, and his contributions are not always reflected by his stat line. I guess I meant that I'd like to see him put up the big numbers from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Picked the right game to miss alot of close in shots and free throws. Can Miles keep it up - if so I see him with more minutes than Kelly most of rest of season.
    I disagree with the notion of Miles' minutes coming at RK's expense. AR's big shot at the end of the UNC game overshadowed the fact that Kelly played a huge role in our comeback. Maybe a better answer would be that minutes between our very 3 talented bigs could be more evenly distributed.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I disagree with the notion of Miles' minutes coming at RK's expense. AR's big shot at the end of the UNC game overshadowed the fact that Kelly played a huge role in our comeback. Maybe a better answer would be that minutes between our very 3 talented bigs could be more evenly distributed.
    Well, how can those 3 players rotate between 2 positions if one of them doesn't consume another's minutes? Now, maybe Miles takes some of Mason's minutes, but i have to imagine that some are gonna come from Ryan as well. That is if MP I plays to the level of getting more.

Well, it was Maryland where Zoubs had his senior coming out party a couple of years ago. Nice to see
    Miles have a big game too. However, I'd have to say his performance against Zeller and Henson on Wednesday
    was a little more revealing. We'll see how he looks in the last few games. Still, nice to see him step it up, at least
    in this one.

So how long has it been since a Duke player had 22 rebounds? When Miles hit 20, ESPN showed that it was the most since Elton Brand got 21 in 1998. But Miles had 2 more boards after that. Who was the last to get 22? Cherokee Parks? G-Man? Someone way back before that?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Well, how can those 3 players rotate between 2 positions if one of them doesn't consume another's minutes? Now, maybe Miles takes some of Mason's minutes, but i have to imagine that some are gonna come from Ryan as well. That is if MP I plays to the level of getting more.
    That's what I meant, but I didn't state it very clearly. I was objecting to Miles getting more minutes solely at Ryan Kelly's expense. What I was trying to say, obviously quite poorly, was that stronger play from Miles gives Coach K the luxury of spreading the minutes a bit more evenly between the bigs.

Who guarded Stoglin most? I thought we did a really great job sticking with him and making him take tough shots. Loved the tenacity of our players stay in front of him so well. And it looks to me like the bigs are becoming quite effective on their hedges. You can see them playing the right angle without fouling and then hustling to recover their position. And I've noticed the other big man down low generally doing a great job rotating over and helping. Loving it!

Nice win after an emotionally draining game a few days ago. Plumlees and Curry were great. If Miles can be effective against all levels of opponents then that could be huge for this team. I wouldn't compare it to 2010 because Zoubek had 3 all americans surrounding him and just a better team. As stated already Miles seems to vanish or shrink against better interior teams but Zoubs used to do the same thing before he gained the confidence. Here is to hoping Miles does as well and that his teammates can elevate themselves as well. Glad to see that Curry is building game after game like we all thought he would. Ryan is inconsistent, really has been up and down since being named Maui MVP. It drives me crazy but hopefully he can find a consistent groove going into the homestretch.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    So how long has it been since a Duke player had 22 rebounds? When Miles hit 20, ESPN showed that it was the most since Elton Brand got 21 in 1998. But Miles had 2 more boards after that. Who was the last to get 22? Cherokee Parks? G-Man? Someone way back before that?
    Last player to top Miles was Randy Denton v. Davidson in 1969. Last with 22 was Mike Lewis v. Temple in 1968.

Congrats Miles!! One for the ages!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Another rough one from the charity stripe,
    Give credit to the MD FT defense. Uh, wait a sec ...