My Son's First Visit to Cameron

I am taking my 8 year old son to his first Duke game at Cameron on Saturday. This has been the first year that he has taken a real interest in watching Duke on tv and he is so excited to see the team, the fans, and the building in person. I haven't been to a game in Cameron in several years myself so it will be a treat to be there and especially to see his reaction.

Since I haven't been there in years, any suggestions on things we can do while there to make his visit memorable? We are planning on getting there early to walk around campus and visit K-ville. Would he be able to go down on the court after the game? Are players ever available after games for autographs?

Father and son are super-psyched!

The Basketball Hall of Fame is usually open on game day as is the Duke store right across from Camerson. I think he would love going to the H of Fame! Have fun!

first Cameron visit

Get into Cameron early enough to visit the Hall of Fame, and walk the entire concourse without crowds(great photographs). There is good variety on foods, so no anxiety on that.

The Team Store in Card Gym is usually open before and after. There will be a sign outside with information on that.

And another reminder: don't forget that the men's rooms are busy. Plan for that.

edit: sorry BlueDGal, I was writing while you were posting...

Thanks for the info. We will definitely want to check out the Hall of Fame. How early before the game do the doors open?

Quote Originally Posted by tb3 View Post
    I am taking my 8 year old son to his first Duke game at Cameron on Saturday. This has been the first year that he has taken a real interest in watching Duke on tv and he is so excited to see the team, the fans, and the building in person. I haven't been to a game in Cameron in several years myself so it will be a treat to be there and especially to see his reaction.

Since I haven't been there in years, any suggestions on things we can do while there to make his visit memorable? We are planning on getting there early to walk around campus and visit K-ville. Would he be able to go down on the court after the game? Are players ever available after games for autographs?

Father and son are super-psyched!

My sister went and they were able to go down to the court and take pictures after the game. And if you are willing to wait, you can meet a few of the players. They met a few of them.

Make sure he comes and sees all of us in K-Ville! I'll be at the front of the line tomorrow!

Autographs

I haven't tried it this season, but in seasons past, I've gotten autographs when players come out of the locker room door outside (small door next to the staircase between Cameron and Schwartz-Butters). Most of the players come out that way, though I've seen Ryan Kelly come out by the museum side.

Depending on how sensitive your son is, you might consider bringing some ear plugs. I say this in all seriousness... I took my daughter to a women's game and it was too loud for her and we had to leave. She was much younger than 8, but still, something to think about.

The Krzyzyzewskville sign outside Cameron seems to be a prime photo-op.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The Krzyzyzewskville sign outside Cameron seems to be a prime photo-op.
    Wish I had that idea!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Depending on how sensitive your son is, you might consider bringing some ear plugs. I say this in all seriousness... I took my daughter to a women's game and it was too loud for her and we had to leave. She was much younger than 8, but still, something to think about.
    Good tip. Also, he should wear a Duke tshirt under his Duke sweatshirt (!!) in case it gets hot so he isn't all over-heated when he leaves Cameron.

Awwww, I miss the days of bringing my own little fellow to games!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Good tip. Also, he should wear a Duke tshirt under his Duke sweatshirt (!!) in case it gets hot so he isn't all over-heated when he leaves Cameron.

Awwww, I miss the days of bringing my own little fellow to games!
    Yes. We will be hitting up Duke stores for t-shirts, sweatshirts, and all manner of Duke swag!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!