Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wink Well, I Know I'm an Old Fogy

Quote Originally Posted by Cell-R View Post
    I know many, many students who don't even watch the game on TV.

I would argue that yes, Duke academics are most certainly harder than they used to be, but the biggest time sucker is the extra-curricular activities needed to be a competitive applicant to a grad. school. (Internships, research, clinical experience, student groups) Putting "Cameron Crazie" on an application, while it definitely shows devotion, isn't going to prove that you'll make a better lawyer, doctor, or businessman.

It's not easy to balance school, extra-curriculars, and basketball. I'm trying to do it right now. Or maybe it's just harder for me because I can't stand not being on the front row...
    With respect to time pressures, let me offer the point that Duke averages 16 home games a year in hoops, several of which occur while school is not in session. So, say 12. That seems like 24 to 36 hours of fun and enjoyment spread over four months. I don't get it. It seems to me, either you are really into college hoops or you aren't. Me, several decades ago, I was into college hoops, and so I went to the games.

Now, if the argument is that it is a 4-5 hour time commitment, due to the lines and difficulty of getting in, then the calculus is different. But there seems to be "space available" in Cameron, judging from the other comments here.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Hopefully I didn't break out the kabobs on this one.
    No, your comment was definitely fair! Seeing as I'm still in school, I can only go off of what I've been told about getting a job, and it's quite possible that my pre-conceived notions deviate from the reality. Perhaps being a devoted Crazie does, in fact, carry more weight than I thought it did. Maybe that's another part of the problem, because I think a large portion of the Duke students see their other "activities" as more valuable to their long range plan.

I'm not trying to stick up for students who have the free time, or could make the free time to go to games, only the ones who would truly overcommit themselves by spending that time at games...

As for the fact that students can get into Cameron right up until tip-off, I wonder if they know that? I haven't talked to many about this, but could it just be the fact that they don't know that they don't have to wait for hours to get into the games? I'm sure all they've heard are stories of people waiting for hours upon hours and sleeping out overnight on the sidewalk for games... I just wonder, if they aren't signed up for the Crazies listserv, if they know the reality. I can definitely do my part by making it clear to all of my friends that they don't have to sleep out overnight to get into most games.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated with both sides. The students who could go to games, but don't (although I understand some of their sentiments), as well as the fact that the constant "skewering" of the Crazies has begun to take the fun out of attending games at Cameron. The thing is, I understand both sides of the argument. I'm beginning to realize the only thing to do is for us to work as hard as we can to make Cameron legendary again. It will not be the same as it was in the 80s and 90s, but then again, since when was Cameron known for being a static, unchanging place?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Wait... you didn't see a guy dressed up as Jesus stand on the floor (not the court, but the floor) under a basket where a FT was about to occur? And you didn't see a coordinated movement of roughly 500 people who split down the middle behind said basket during said FT? And you missed the loud cheer when the FT missed? And you missed said Jesus taking a bow between FTs?

Well, if the criticizers are unable to notice the amusement that they're asking for, what exactly can these kids do?
    Maybe Native (Jesus) can turn water into whine when unc visits?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe Native (Jesus) can turn water into whine when unc visits?
    I think there'll be enough whine in Cameron that day to begin with.