Duke lacrosse question -- How long is Coach Danowski's contract?

A friend's son is being recruited and she wants to know how long his contract is for, and couldn't easily find that info. Any suggestions on where to look?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Just off the top of my head

We've been to 5 straight Final Fours and Duke is not generally considered a 'stepping-stone' program for coaches. I think it will be a while. No insider info, though.

Good luck to the kid!

Rutgers made a serious run at Danowski this summer. He is a Rutgers alum. Money was apparently no object (at much as can be for a non-revenue sport). It would have been close to where he grew up. He is still in Durham. I don't know the length of his contract. I understand his first one was a handshake. I don't expect him to go anywhere. But if your friend is concerned, I would suggest asking him. I expect he would give a straight answer.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Rutgers made a serious run at Danowski this summer. He is a Rutgers alum. Money was apparently no object (at much as can be for a non-revenue sport). It would have been close to where he grew up. He is still in Durham. I don't know the length of his contract. I understand his first one was a handshake. I don't expect him to go anywhere. But if your friend is concerned, I would suggest asking him. I expect he would give a straight answer.
    From my (limited) interactions with him, I would heartily agree with this statement. Very straight shooter.

And if, god forbid, he were to leave, the top candidates to replace him would be Joe Alberici of Army, a former Duke assistant, and Kevin Cassese of Lehigh, a former Duke player. Continuity is not an issue.

If the West really opens up (the game is exploding out there, 30 years after my cousin, Micky-Miles Felton got it started and kept it growing for 30 years), the upside of what coach's can earn might well increase dramatically. Bill Tierney's move to the U of Denver seems a first step, and a hugh one to opening that door, and the talent is out there in droves on the West coast. College LAX has the ability to draw big crowds (see the final fours), and if the studies that are beginning all over the place about the effect on the brains of the noncussive head slams that all college football players encounter in droves proves out as anyone who really thinks about it must know is truly scary, LAX might well become a much more popular spectator sport--much safer than say, soccer where the studies have shown brain injuries caused dimished cognitive abilities of very young athetes is a proved fact--, than it currently is. Now, I do not believe that it will have a fraction of the TV appeal of football, but the game in person might well be superior.

Think about it--competing against the UCLAs, USCs, U of Arizona (I hope Micky Miles can hang on that long), etc,--joining the Notre Dames, might make the earning power of coaches like Danowski explode. I think that that is about to happen. Hey, even a star like Danowski's kid makes chump change playing professional LAX--a father and son tandum aka the Tierney's, can it really not happen say even next year?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    If the West really opens up (the game is exploding out there, 30 years after my cousin, Micky-Miles Felton got it started and kept it growing for 30 years), the upside of what coach's can earn might well increase dramatically. Bill Tierney's move to the U of Denver seems a first step, and a hugh one to opening that door, and the talent is out there in droves on the West coast. College LAX has the ability to draw big crowds (see the final fours), and if the studies that are beginning all over the place about the effect on the brains of the noncussive head slams that all college football players encounter in droves proves out as anyone who really thinks about it must know is truly scary, LAX might well become a much more popular spectator sport--much safer than say, soccer where the studies have shown brain injuries caused dimished cognitive abilities of very young athetes is a proved fact--, than it currently is. Now, I do not believe that it will have a fraction of the TV appeal of football, but the game in person might well be superior.
    At its best, definitely--it's fast-paced--no long delays between downs--and it's easier to see what is going on in every part of the field no matter where you are sitting. Still, the traditions that go along with live attendance at college football will be hard to replace--as the tailgating tradition at Duke has shown, sometimes they don't have much to do with actually paying attention to the game. ()

Think about it--competing against the UCLAs, USCs, U of Arizona (I hope Micky Miles can hang on that long), etc,--joining the Notre Dames, might make the earning power of coaches like Danowski explode. I think that that is about to happen. Hey, even a star like Danowski's kid makes chump change playing professional LAX--a father and son tandum aka the Tierney's, can it really not happen say even next year?
    You are certainly right that playing professional LAX isn't much of an income generator--most of the players who are actually making a living from LAX also do coaching, endorsements, equipment development, summer camps, etc. and the rest work in regular jobs and play on weekends.

And you may be right that if more D1 programs launch in the west the money for high quality coaches will increase. If that happens, the eastern teams will have to make some choices. I sure hope one of them would be for Duke to hang on to John Danowski, since--in addition to being a very good lacrosse coach-- he appears to be a very solid guy who sees the importance of coaching/mentoring the whole person, not just the lacrosse player.

There is a new D1 program today. Colorado is adding women's lax.

Once USC and Colorado get up and running, expect the PAC-12 to run women's lax for its members (Stanford, Cal, and Oregon currently play in the MPSF).

There's no reason why the Buffs can't grow as fast as the Gators did.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There is a new D1 program today. Colorado is adding women's lax.

Once USC and Colorado get up and running, expect the PAC-12 to run women's lax for its members (Stanford, Cal, and Oregon currently play in the MPSF).

There's no reason why the Buffs can't grow as fast as the Gators did.
    Furman just announced it's adding men's and women's programs:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/...ns-di-lacrosse

With a young son that is playing I love the fact that more schools are adding lax. Michigan adding lax was HUGE.

The biggest inhibitor to the growth of mens lacrosse is Title IX. You add a mens lacrosse team, you have to add a womens sport with at least 40 participants. And since women enroll in college in greater numbers than do men, you may actually have to add up to 50 womens participants. So just adding womens lacrosse may not be the answer. Still, the sport is wildly popular in high school, often outstripping baseball, so the growth of the college game has to come.