Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis v. Asack

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Lets just hope that Roof does not try a two headed approach. We need to pick a QB and go with him.
    I don't know - given the rate of injuries (c.f. the Duke Basketball team), having two QBs ready to start any game can't be that bad...

-jk

Anyone who saw the Duke/VPI football game last year DOES NOT want Greg Paulus playing quarterback.

I feel like Lewis gives us a better chance at winning games. Having said that, I'd actually like using Asack in certain situations. He's a better runner than Lewis, and could certainly throw in a little wrinkle with a spread offense. But as the normal package quarterback, I like Lewis a lot better.

ok, lets compare paulus and lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Anyone who saw the Duke/VPI football game last year DOES NOT want Greg Paulus playing quarterback.

I feel like Lewis gives us a better chance at winning games. Having said that, I'd actually like using Asack in certain situations. He's a better runner than Lewis, and could certainly throw in a little wrinkle with a spread offense. But as the normal package quarterback, I like Lewis a lot better.
    Greg is an inch taller.

Greg ran 4.6 40s in high school. Lewis ran 4.9 40s.

but, the difference in 40s times was / is a bit misleading.

Greg is noticably quicker - part of the reason why he was 5 star rated and offered qb by Notre Dame.

So, if at some point Greg wants to go out for Football, I worry less that he might suffer a concussion in a game - the VT safety who suckered Lewis - Greg would have side-stepped him, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I
    Where have you seen or heard Greg indicate that he was using Duke basketball as a stepping stone to a basketball coaching position?
    It was well established, during his freshman year on these very forums, that Greg's goal was to be a basketball coach. I can recall some heated debates on this very issue.

Why even talk about it?

Why do even entertain notions of paulus playing football? It aint happenin. He has completely devoted himself to basketball, has made it clear since HIGH SCHOOL that he wants to play Bball, and has never even mentioned anything about playing football. (And that is to say nothing of the fact that after two years away from the game it would take him at least a year just to get back into his old form as a HS senior)

I can imagine several plays, not the easiest to execute but potentially very effective, that have two "quarterbacks" simultaneously in the backfield. Further, with Duke's several close games/last-minutes losses in the 2006 season, this could have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    thaddeus lewis showed some real signs of improvement last year, as exemplified by near game winning drives against miami and unc (others, too? i cant remember). he should definetely have the starting spot this year, in an offense with a more experienced o-line to give him more time to throw (less interceptions) and time to maybe show how much of a dual threat hes supposed to be. not to knock asack, but he was far from an established qb1 when he left.

that said, maybe paulus would like to give it a shot? just kidding.
    You can probably add Wake Forest and Alabama to that list. Interesting writeup on Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's been awhile since Duke has had two decent quarterbacks.
    yess it has, this may be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Hopefully one of them distinguishes himself, I can't stand time-sharing arrangements, and they flat-out have failed for us in the past.
    Agreed. it usually fails when tried. A coach needs to pick a leader and stick with it.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 07-28-2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Link correction

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Lewis was also was the only quarterback going through spring practice --
    This is probably the biggest factor in his favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    But until I see differently, I think Thaddeus Lewis is the man.
    Although I've always been a big fan of Zack's I agree with this.