K-Ville Blogging - We're Back!

DBR,

We're less than two hours until the 2012 tenting season is officially underway! Given how much positive feedback (and how much fun I had) from the "K-Ville as Tent One" blog last year, we decided to do it again this year!

Our site is titled "K-Ville from the Front Lines" and can be found at:
    http://kftfl.tumblr.com/

I hope you guys check us out!

Welcome back!

I was very surprised that there were no tents in K'ville when I looked after the game last week.

I thought it was great that they have posted the Rules of K'ville, in plexiglass, on a wall in the Hall of Fame! Are those this year's rules or from some previous year?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Welcome back!

I was very surprised that there were no tents in K'ville when I looked after the game last week.

I thought it was great that they have posted the Rules of K'ville, in plexiglass, on a wall in the Hall of Fame! Are those this year's rules or from some previous year?
    Looks like they changed it this year and for "black tenting" it's not exactly that the order is determined by when the tenting begins for a particular group.

http://dukegroups.duke.edu/kville/k-...icy-2010-2011/

Instead, you must register and start tenting by January 15. No idea how many tents actually did that, but I'm sure dukebsbll14's can give an estimate. The order is then determined by a point system based on attendance of your tent members to men's and women's basketball games in January and early February. Makes sense to me...Thus, there's no incentive to get your tent out there before January 15, but if you want to be eligible for black (there's also blue and white), you must start tenting today.

http://dukegroups.duke.edu/kville/k-...black-tenting/

Looks like blue tenting numbering is also based on attendance of games (which starts next Sunday, Jan 22). Sounds like we'll be seeing a lot more students at women's basketball home games in January.

Thanks for continuing the blog! Good luck with the tenting season!

Welcome back!

Glad to be back!

I believe those are from the 2010 season. Unless they've changed it since Winter Break.

Welcome back!

They changed the rules a few years ago (i want to say after the 2009 tenting season) when first off, some tent tried to start at the beginning of december and after that, it was just absolutely frigid all tenting season.

I was never a line monitor (and perhaps one can chime in with more accurate info) and only heard through word of mouth, but it seemed like there was a lot of pressure to not allow tenting to start before some reasonable time, hence the introduction of black tenting and the disallowal of "pre" tenting.
    1200. DDMF.

I'm in this tent too! We're taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sounds like we'll be seeing a lot more students at women's basketball home games in January.
    Excellent! I'll miss my great halfcourt seats, but it's worth if it some students show up and help us make some noise.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They changed the rules a few years ago (i want to say after the 2009 tenting season) when first off, some tent tried to start at the beginning of december and after that, it was just absolutely frigid all tenting season.

I was never a line monitor (and perhaps one can chime in with more accurate info) and only heard through word of mouth, but it seemed like there was a lot of pressure to not allow tenting to start before some reasonable time, hence the introduction of black tenting and the disallowal of "pre" tenting.
    My sister was class of '09, through her I've met some tenters from her year(some of which were involved in the policy change process) and they've said the same thing.

I personally like the first come, first serve style. My opinion is that for years when we have the February game, once Jan 1st hits (or dorms open), its fair game to start tenting. For games when we have the March game, once classes for second semester start, its fair game to start tenting.

Also, there are 13 black tents if you're wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    My sister was class of '09, through her I've met some tenters from her year(some of which were involved in the policy change process) and they've said the same thing.

I personally like the first come, first serve style. My opinion is that for years when we have the February game, once Jan 1st hits (or dorms open), its fair game to start tenting. For games when we have the March game, once classes for second semester start, its fair game to start tenting.

Also, there are 13 black tents if you're wondering.
    Yeah it bothers me when any sort of lottery/not merit based system comes into play. I don't know the exact rules this year, but i was always a proponent of breaking "ties" by whose tent attends the most collective games. So for these black tenters, they get put in order by who has the most total games (or games per person to account for tents <12). That way you can disallow ridiculous amounts of tenting while maintaining a similar merit based ordering. Furthermore you would increase the incentive to attend all the other home games.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

The pressure to not allow tenting to start before a certain date has been around since before I was HLM. I had to serve the fire marshal with some choice words when Tent 1 arrived my year on December 26th and tried to order me to drive back down from Michigan to tell them to leave. I pretty much told him in more "forceful" language that he didn't own me and I would be back on January 4th and they were free to set up shop before I got back. He laid off. But even I agreed that setting up during the calendar year changed was starting to push it.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA