Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 81, Georgia Tech 74 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

For the rest of the season, it is looking like my blood pressure is going to be about as consistent as our defense... but hey, we pulled out the win. I would not want to be at our next practice.

Sure wasn't pretty, but will take the W

Well, my first reaction is relief. Whew.
    Glen Rice, Jr. appears to have the early lead for the Bootsy Thornton "best performance by an opponent" award.

Ryan and Seth had a really nice second half.
    It's good to see the clutch shooters come up big.

Congrats to Ryan Kelly, T-2nd at Duke All-Time, Most Free Throws no misses

We needed them today for sure!
    Code:
    Most Free Throws Made (No Misses)

Rk  Name 			vs. Opponent, Date 		FT
     1. Dick Groat (Jr.) 		vs. Davidson, 1/29/1951 	17
     2. Gene Banks (Jr.) 		vs. N.C. State, 2/28/1980 	14
        J.J. Redick (Jr.) 		vs. Princeton, 1/5/2005 	14
     4. Bucky Allen (Sr.) 		at N.C. State, 2/11/1958 	13
        Mike Lewis (Jr.) 		at Vanderbilt, 12/13/1966 	13
        Steve Vandenberg (Sr.) 	vs. North Carolina, 3/1/1969 	13
        Christian Laettner (So.) 	vs. Maryland, 1/13/1990 	13
        Christian Laettner (Sr.) 	vs. St. John’s, 12/5/1991 	13
        Elton Brand (So.) 		vs. N.C. A&T, 12/20/1998 	13
        Jon Scheyer (Jr.) 		vs. Rhode Island, 11/16/2008 	13
    11. Jim Spanarkel (Jr.) 	vs. Davidson, 2/11/1978 	12
        Jim Spanarkel (Jr.) 	vs. Notre Dame, 3/25/1978 	12
        Mike Gminski (Sr.) 		vs. N.C. State, 2/28/1980 	12
        Christian Laettner (Jr.) 	vs. Kansas, 4/1/1991 		12
        Shane Battier (Jr.) 	vs. Davidson, 12/21/1999 	12
    http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-d...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Ryan Kelly is money at the line! Clutch shooting. Way to go, big fella!

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    For the rest of the season, it is looking like my blood pressure is going to be about as consistent as our defense... but hey, we pulled out the win. I would not want to be at our next practice.
    At least we won't have that problem of peaking too early this year. Luckily, we have K so we should continue to grow but I think we are behind where we need to be probably because we have so many good players that we don't have a set rotation and our defense relies on communication which isn't there. Players like TT, Cook, G, Hairston, or now even Dre we don't have that many minutes but the difference in talent doesn't appear to be that big.

Man, what is going on with our defense?? Especially our rebounding . . . giving up WAY too many second chance opportunities. The free throw line rim was our best defender down the stretch. I really wonder . . . if we didn't foul every possession down the stretch, would we still have won the game? Seemed like they were getting whatever they wanted outside of free throw shooting.

I'm just glad that game is over. Clutch plays by Seth and Ryan. Sure wish Mason would get more looks but apparently our guards are blind and can't see the 6'11 guy working his butt off in the post calling for the ball.

Is there a way this year's team can skip playing UNC?

Time for me to go back to youtube, watch footage of the 2010 team to remind me of what hungry/willing/tough players play like.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Man, what is going on with our defense?? Especially our rebounding . . . giving up WAY too many second chance opportunities. The free throw line rim was our best defender down the stretch. I really wonder . . . if we didn't foul every possession down the stretch, would we still have won the game? Seemed like they were getting whatever they wanted outside of free throw shooting.
    Come on now, Rice hit some ridiculous lay ups, one handed on the way down. And even the 3, he was coming off a screen and falling away granted it was in rhythm but still a tough shot.

Free Throws and Intensity

Much better from the line overall (especially liked seeing Mason hit 3 in a row). They also played with a higher intensity especially in the first half. Rice made some amazing shots but Austin at least was in his face for each of those shots. I can breathe a lot easier seeing them fight for loose balls and make free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    I'm just glad that game is over. Clutch plays by Seth and Ryan. Sure wish Mason would get more looks but apparently our guards are blind and can't see the 6'11 guy working his butt off in the post calling for the ball.

Is there a way this year's team can skip playing UNC?

Time for me to go back to youtube, watch footage of the 2010 team to remind me of what hungry/willing/tough players play like.
    Well, remember that 2010 team lost in Atlanta.

First conference game of the year, and on the road, can be a challenge no matter how it looks on paper going in.
    Good to win, and keep working.

Maybe its my inner Ozzie, but road ACC games are going to be tough, and I'm with the win considering we had a 6-22 shooting night from 3 and got killed -12 on the boards...not to mention them hitting a bunch of really, really tough shots and us getting what I thought were a lot of bad calls. To overcome all that means we're still a pretty good team, imo.

Also glad to see Quinn start. I've obviously been clamoring for that and I think he's earning it. He's got plenty of room for work, but I think the offense is much better with him on point.

Ryan Kelly

Wow-- 14 for 14 from the line?!?! That is crazy good. And on the road too. Does anyone have the statistical database handy to check for the last time a Blue Devil went 14-14 or better (15-15?)?

I'm personally a little tired of hearing that our players aren't hungry or willing. Do you honestly believe that Coach K doesn't have these players giving it their all?

I think this is a very young team with problems on defense and with identity. And luckily for us, Coach K is very good at developing both.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Wow-- 14 for 14 from the line?!?! That is crazy good. And on the road too. Does anyone have the statistical database handy to check for the last time a Blue Devil went 14-14 or better (15-15?)?
    guess you didn't read the thread

Is it just me or did the announcers today and the announcers for the Temple game see to be rooting against Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Is it just me or did the announcers today and the announcers for the Temple game see to be rooting against Duke?
    It's just you.

Quote Originally Posted by td50 View Post
    I'm personally a little tired of hearing that our players aren't hungry or willing. Do you honestly believe that Coach K doesn't have these players giving it their all?

I think this is a very young team with problems on defense and with identity. And luckily for us, Coach K is very good at developing both.
    Agreed the players all seem to be working hard--I don't get the suggestion that they are "too cool" to play tough. But they aren't always working smart--sometimes when they get beat to rebounds or loose balls it looks like it is because the other team has done a better job of anticipating where the ball will go and reacting when it does--or perhaps they aren't always quick enough.

The other thing, which has been discussed at length in other threads, is the leadership/communication piece (maybe some overlap here with identity). This team looks to me like it still has a long way to go to function consistently as a solid unit.

@ Chris Randolph:

In fairness to the guards, Mason was getting pushed off the blocks most of the day, and given his lack of a mid-range game it doesn't make sense to throw it to him 10-12 feet our on the baseline.