To all the Car guys out there; Maxima with SES Light - p0400 code

Ok, so my 2000 Nissan Maxima won't pass inspection b/c the SES light is on and is throwing a p0400 code. From what I've read online, this has something to do with possible Carbon Buildup in the engine. I'm not a car guy by any means, but I really don't want to have take my car to Nissan and spend a grand.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can I fix this myself with some kind of carbon cleaner? Anyone know any Nissan mechanics that won't rip me off?

By the way, I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this board, so I thought I'd give you guys a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Ok, so my 2000 Nissan Maxima won't pass inspection b/c the SES light is on and is throwing a p0400 code. From what I've read online, this has something to do with possible Carbon Buildup in the engine. I'm not a car guy by any means, but I really don't want to have take my car to Nissan and spend a grand.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can I fix this myself with some kind of carbon cleaner? Anyone know any Nissan mechanics that won't rip me off?

By the way, I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this board, so I thought I'd give you guys a challenge.
    Charlie Thompson
    C & C Automotive
    220-5633 Best independant mechanic in Durham. Incredibly trustworthy and very thorough. Not particularly cheap, but when he fixes something it stays fixed.

2000 Maxima

As you may remember, I traded my 2000 Maxima in May, and fortunately I never had the P0400 code. I miss it but do like my Sonata.

Are you in the Triangle area (referring to your Nissan mechanic question)?

First option, take your Maxima to an AutoZone and have them read the code and then erase it. If this works, don't turn the car off and quickly drive to your local inspection station and get your car inspected. Typically, the diagnostic system has to see the alarm code come up 3 times in a row to come on, so not turning your car off may get you through the inspection.

Years ago, my Nissan dealer was pushing the BG 44K fuel additive, and I used it a couple of times and it seemed to work fairly well. Unfortunately it is expensive (~$20 for a can) and it may be hard to find a retailer that carries the product. Here is the company web site http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html and here is their retailer "locator" http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/

If your problem is more severe than the additive can cure, you may have to have your fuel injectors cleaned, either by Nissan or your favorite trusted local mechanic.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As you may remember, I traded my 2000 Maxima in May, and fortunately I never had the P0400 code. I miss it but do like my Sonata.

Are you in the Triangle area (referring to your Nissan mechanic question)?

First option, take your Maxima to an AutoZone and have them read the code and then erase it. If this works, don't turn the car off and quickly drive to your local inspection station and get your car inspected. Typically, the diagnostic system has to see the alarm code come up 3 times in a row to come on, so not turning your car off may get you through the inspection.

Years ago, my Nissan dealer was pushing the BG 44K fuel additive, and I used it a couple of times and it seemed to work fairly well. Unfortunately it is expensive (~$20 for a can) and it may be hard to find a retailer that carries the product. Here is the company web site http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html and here is their retailer "locator" http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/

If your problem is more severe than the additive can cure, you may have to have your fuel injectors cleaned, either by Nissan or your favorite trusted local mechanic.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Sorry, yes I am in Durham.

Already tried the turn it off and go get it inspected tactic, but evidently the computer they have is smart enough to detect that.

Thanks for the Tips. I might try the fuel additive.

AllenMurray, are you saying C & C Autmotive is experienced with Nissans?

He has worked on my Toyota, Saturn, Volkswagon, and Honda. He has three or four guys in the shop with him, and they tend to specialize amongst themselves in order to stay current. I honestly don't know how much experience he has with Nissans, but if isn't familiar with your problem he'll tell you so and send you on to someone else. He has gotten my cars through some peculiar emissions control problems.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    He has worked on my Toyota, Saturn, Volkswagon, and Honda. He has three or four guys in the shop with him, and they tend to specialize amongst themselves in order to stay current. I honestly don't know how much experience he has with Nissans, but if isn't familiar with your problem he'll tell you so and send you on to someone else. He has gotten my cars through some peculiar emissions control problems.
    Thanks for the response!

Common problem

We had it on our 96 Maxima. It's one of the most common issues reported on line. Here's a link:
    http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...ma-1999-a.html

We had it cleaned up, it passed inspection here in GA, and it recently turned on again.

Good luck and cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    We had it on our 96 Maxima. It's one of the most common issues reported on line. Here's a link:
    http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...ma-1999-a.html

We had it cleaned up, it passed inspection here in GA, and it recently turned on again.

Good luck and cheers,
    Lavabe
    You remember how much it costs to "clean it up"?

Maxima

I had an '84 Maxima Wagon for years -- over 200,000 miles. Great car. I'd still have it if I hadn't blown a head gasket in the middle of nowhere in Colorado while travelling cross country in the heat of August with my dogs and cat. So...traded it in for 'whatever was on the lot" to get me to D.C.

Still miss that car.