Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bowl mania

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There was a time when colleges would have blanched at the idea of having any athletic competition on a Sunday. The ACC Tournament always ended on Saturday night. Until the nice TV folks, with their checkbooks, suggested an alternative.
    Now what does God's word(Bible) say about the love of money? Something about the root of evil? GoDuke!

'am pretty disappointed in the ACC this year. Though we finally achieved two BCS berths (I say achieved as opposes to earned...) Clemson was favored over WVU in the Orange, and VT had a great opportunity in a close one in the Sugar. The rest of the ACC had acquitted itself relatively well to this point. Then VT just GIVES the game to M ichigan - a game where they generally outplayed the Wolverines - with some terrible coaching decisions, and a marginal ref call (overthrowing a TD reception in OT), and Clemson sets records for the size of the egg they lay in the Orange Bowl. Ouch!

Same 'ole ACC...

Big XII Past, Present and Future

Big XII, Past, Present and Future has gone 8-1, with a chance at 9-1 if KSU can upset Arkansas. Only loss was Iowa St. at New Yankee Stadium to Rutgers.

One other thing I'd point out -- I wish we could get more Big XII-SEC matchups. There is only 1 (the Cotton Bowl). The Independence Bowl used to be, but that changed. There's nothing more boring and generally preordained then the early afternoon butt-whooping the SEC puts on the Big Ten every year on January 1 (or, this year, on January 2) in the Outback, Gator and Capital One bowls.

Would love to see the fighting Bill Snyders win the Cotton Bowl. That is the best job of coaching in America this year by far (imho) and Colin Klein is the most underrated player.

Liberty, transitioning to FBS, signs bowl tie-in:

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index...20457&teamID=9

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Archaeology award to Reilly for digging up a thread buried for six and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Archaeology award to Reilly for digging up a thread buried for six and a half years!
    Break out the Gold Shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Break out the Gold Shovel.
    “Indiana Reilly and the Bowl Thread of Doom.”

Shouldn't they go to the Liberty Bowl?

I recalled a thread about the expansion of the number of bowls in the past two months or so. I believe BigWayne started it or posted in it. After looking five pages back and not finding it, I searched "bowl" and got twenty pages of hits (which is twenty pages more of hits than I usually get with the search function). I paged through them front and back and stumbled on this thread. So, I used it. During this archaeological dig, I almost gave up and I was *this* close to starting a whole, brand new thread ... but decided I didn't want to die today. I know I shouldn't think of starting a new thread much less type out loud about it, but sometimes I get these urges, and, I don't know, it seems sort of natural to me to want to do, even though I know it's wrong.

"My name's Reilly, and I almost started a thread today."

"Hi, Reilly!"

"We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Well, close. Maybe?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I miss Olympic Fan.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I miss Olympic Fan.
    Me too, even though we once got a thread locked for PPB reasons for arguing over the relative merits, or lack of merits, of the Woodrow Wilson presidency.

Fun times.

Agree or disagree with Oly -- he always had an opinion and was always more than happy to defend it.

I recalled a thread about the expansion of the number of bowls in the past two months or so. I believe BigWayne started it or posted in it. After looking five pages back and not finding it, I searched "bowl" and got twenty pages of hits (which is twenty pages more of hits than I usually get with the search function). I paged through them front and back and stumbled on this thread. So, I used it. During this archaeological dig, I almost gave up and I was *this* close to starting a whole, brand new thread ... but decided I didn't want to die today. I know I shouldn't think of starting a new thread much less type out loud about it, but sometimes I get these urges, and, I don't know, it seems sort of natural to me to want to do, even though I know it's wrong.
    You recall correctly. It was this one, which was about ACC teams and bowl games and was only partly related to what I posted, but was as close as I could find. It was only two years old, so no archeology award for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Now what does God's word(Bible) say about the love of money? Something about the root of evil? GoDuke!
    Well it's often slightly misquoted, but in a standard translation it is "the love of money is A root of all kinds of evil..."
    Not THE root of ALL evil.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well it's often slightly misquoted, but in a standard translation it is "the love of money is A root of all kinds of evil..."
    Not THE root of ALL evil.
    If you check the Book of Timothy in the Bible you will find that the LOVE of money is the root.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    If you check the Book of Timothy in the Bible you will find that the LOVE of money is the root.
    If you check Dark Side of the Moon you will find that money, so they say, is the root of all evil today.

And, you’ll find it in 7:4 time which is rare.

If you'll check the Book of Barret Strong, you'll find that you can keep all that free stuff for the birds and bees. He wants money. That's what he wants.

And the Beatles agreed.

Then again, the Fab Four also argued that they didn't care too much for money, it not being able to buy them love and all.

Then again, redux, Randy Newman maintained that money can't buy love but it will get you drugs, young women and a long limousine on a Saturday night.

So, I'm just all confused.

While Kanye wouldn’t call her a gold digger per se, he recognized that she wasn’t messing with no brokey broke.

Warren Zevon, of course, knew the three things you need in any jam — lawyers, guns and money.

As far as I’m concerned — more money, more problems.