Suggestions for travel to Turkey

Esteemed world travelers of the DBR (and judging by some of the recent threads on here, this is a well-traveled bunch)...

My girlfriend and I are headed to Turkey for 2 1/2 weeks in August. We're starting in Ephesus, traveling along the Turquoise coast, then going to Cappadocia, and finishing in Istanbul. Thought I'd mine the collective experience of the board posters here and see if anyone has any suggestions on can't miss things to see/do, places to eat/drink/party, etc. I have a pretty good feel for the major sites, but anything that's a little more off the beaten path that really knocked your socks off would be great to hear about.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

pfrduke, do post your thoughts and experiences when you get back. I for one would love to read about them.

I do not mean to imply that you or your girlfriend have anything to do with drugs; however, I can tell you that the Turkish government has extremely stringent laws -- and they are zealously enforced -- re drug possession, use, sale, etc.

I don't know how old you are -- or how attractive your girlfriend is, but...there is widespread 'white slave' trade in Turkey and has been for decades. So...keep alert and vigilent. And I concur about the drug thing. Don't even chance it. Have a GREAT trip. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    My girlfriend and I are headed to Turkey for 2 1/2 weeks in August.
    Every gal in Constantinople
    Lives in Instanbul, not Constantinople
    So if you've a date in Constantinople
    She'll be waiting in Istanbul.

Uhm... while no expert, I don't believe there is "white slavery" in Turkey, regardless of your girlfriend's relative attractiveness.

In my experience, the Turkish people are generous, warm, fun. These qualities were especially in evidence away from tourist meccas. They take their capitalism seriously--pictures of Ataturk are ubiquitous--and they really do come after you, which I found annoying after a short period of time. One of my worst moments occured in Capadocia (sp?), when we hired a guide to show us Christian cave drawings that wouldn't be found by ourselves. He then drove us to some nearby ruins, which were also nice. Then, he drove us and drove us, and it finally dawned on me that we were being driven to a dam*ned rug shop, and I got irritated. Of course, part of the issue is their hospitality. They love to give you tea and chat, but it's also part of their schtick to sell you something. It got me a little paranoid for a while and then I just relaxed and accepted that we were going to get hit on financially (not physically).

Anyway, your list sounds super. In Capadocia (which is fantastic), would consider a ride on a hot air balloon. On the coast, would go on a boat. Would consider getting a cell phone that works over there (we bought one and used the simcard for minutes)--it's relatively cheap and can come in handy. Would intersperse visiting the very cool archealogical stuff with prolonged periods of eating cheese and olives.

And if you are driving yourself, would consider getting in touch with the God of your choice, since you will, at times, be praying for survival. Have fun.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I just finished up a week and a half in Turkey and it was fantastic. It was a bit of a last minute thing and I wasn't exactly prepared for it(I didn't get a chance to do any reading prior to it about what to see). But had a great time in Istanbul, Ephesus, Bodrum, and Rhodes. I would have also liked to check out Didyma, but didn't have the time. My one word of warning... its hot. Really hot. No, I mean its really hot. Temperatures were in the low 90s in Istanbul. And that was the coolest spot on the trip. Ephesus was about 105 when I was there. But have a blast, and see what you can pick up cheaply at the Grand Bazaar(and how many new best friends you will make just walking in front of their stalls).