Am I the only one?

Anyone else here on this board ever become so stressed out with work you become basically paralyzed with fear? I don't know, maybe I need a new job.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Anyone else here on this board ever become so stressed out with work you become basically paralyzed with fear? I don't know, maybe I need a new job.

-EarlJam
    Happened to me and was related to severe depression. Might want to be "checked out."

-EarlJam
    Yes. That means you need a new job. Don't live that way!

You are not the only one. I've been there too. You need a new job. Life is way too short to live with that kind of stress. In the mean time - practice some relaxation excercises, breathing (it really does help) take a break, a walk (a hobble?), get some fresh air and a change of scenery...vent your frustrations and stress on a neighbor who steals parking places...

I am now in the middle of taking 8 weeks off for that very reason. Of course, I'm also dealing (solo) with a parent who is an Alzheimer's patient and has insufficient finances, but I realized that I needed to eliminate at least one of the sources of stress. Fortunately, my career is at a point where I can do this. I'll still pay a bit of a price professionally, but not as high a price as I would have paid personally by ignoring the problem.

Absolutely not

EarlJam,

I sent you a PM. But given what you've told us all about your past year, I'd be really surprised if you weren't experiencing a level of depression.

For the board -- some great information on depression is available here:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinform...essionmenu.cfm

Mapei, Hugs to you too!! Taking time off to help get yourself right is probably better than staying and doing a worse performance on the job, both for your personal health and for your professional health.

Do number 16 on To-Do List.

Heed the advice of Indoor66, Alumna, and Windsor. I wish I had done so sooner with my job. I'm okay now, but anxiety attacks and/or depression will take a physical toll on you. It did with me. Be seen.

Then get a new job.

There is no reason to subject yourself to this stress.

If you want to see someone subject themselves to physical stress, watch Bear Grylls ("Man vs. Wild"). Now THAT'S a job!
    http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ma...manvswild.html

CHEERS!!
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    If you want to see someone subject themselves to physical stress, watch Bear Grylls ("Man vs. Wild"). Now THAT'S a job!
    http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ma...manvswild.html

CHEERS!!
    Lavabe
    I had never seen "Man vs Wild" until the weekend (Discovery had a marathon). I LOVE that show...but will never accept a dinner invite to Bear Grylls house.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Yes. That means you need a new job. Don't live that way!
    Man, I never in a million years thought I'd type these words, but... I agree with Shammrog 100%. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I had never seen "Man vs Wild" until the weekend (Discovery had a marathon). I LOVE that show...but will never accept a dinner invite to Bear Grylls house.
    Turns out it may be somewhat of a fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Turns out it may be somewhat of a fraud.
    Watch Survivorman instead - Les is the real deal.

Exiled

Earljam, before you give up a job and whatever seniority you may have accumulated, take the time to go see a GOOD REPUTABLE psychiatrist. It may well be a depression. It is not at all uncommon for us educated people to go through a depression or two in our working life. Actually, it is more a chemical problem than a psychiatric problem and, if so, medications can cure it in a couple weeks. But whatever it is go see one ASAP.

Depression and the workplace

One thing you should consider (depending on the size of your organization, its structure, etc.) is talking to someone in your HR department who deals with employee health issues.

I'm not a labor lawyer, but I don't think a company can fire you if you are actively seeking treatment for an illness; iirc, it falls under the same protections as not firing a pregnant woman, etc.

The HR person, if s/he is good, should:

* Be able to tell you about any resources your company might offer, such as an Employee Assistance Program for immediate counseling;

* Give you a refresher on your company's health care/insurance policies around mental health treatment and possible medical leave (paid or unpaid);

* and offer you some ways to work with your manager (if not deal with your manager directly) to address any issues of declining work performance.

So, no, don't walk in and quit tomorrow -- not if you can swing a couple months paid medical leave to get your sanity back! (And, say, travel through Europe learning how to teach English. )